Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Goodwill Fabric Here :-(

Blog Entries
    Inspired by all the wonderful "look what I got!!!" posts, I tracked down the closest Goodwill store to me-- it's the one in Rockville, MD on Boiling Brook Pkwy (don't we have great names here?)

NO fabric-- I asked two different people.

BUT I did come away with a 100% wool thigh-length winter jacket for $4.00 (it's supposed to snow here tomorrow night), 2 100% cotton, good-condition dress shirts for the DH for $10, and a pair of bar stools (with the woven seats) for $15.

SEE??? :roll: :roll: :roll: It was a wasted trip!

Our Goodwill never has fabric....sometimes broken down sewing machines so ladies here either do not quilt or keep all their fabric for themselves. Always see cross stitch kits and books.

Not in ours either!

I have never found any in mine either!

I use to pick up a lot of fabric at the Goodwill and since the begining of the year they have not had any. I was there today and just picked up a few books. The store is a bit messy in the book area. I am ready to head out of town and check other Goodwills.

Blog Entries
    We don't have Goodwill Stores and the other second hand stores are expensive and don't have fabric.

At least your trip wasn't a complete bust! I don't find fabric at mine either so don't feel bad. I do pick up shirts and such that are 100% cotton on the lable and use it in quilts

I don't find any fabric at the goodwill stores here...in fact, I don't get very lucky with too much at Goodwill....Salvation Army is another story. Still no fabric, but I do find things...Got an area rug for my living room for $28. It was new.

The fabric I find at Goodwill here, even on half price days is outrageous! Even the clothing is unreal. I went to MI last week, and the prices in thrift stores was cheaper than half price days here!

The Frederick, MD, Goodwill doesn't usually have fabric either. Thank goodness for Craigslist!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    The Frederick, MD, Goodwill doesn't usually have fabric either. Thank goodness for Craigslist!
    Glad I didn't make the drive to Frederick!!! There's another in either Hagerstown or Germantown, but Rockville is about as far north as I'm willing to drive. And it has to take a LOT for me to cross the Potomac Ocean (River).

Nonlocals: apologies for inside-the-beltway "humor".

Now Salvation Army... mmm... another exploration to make.

Craigslist, eh? Really? I'll have to check it out.

-- Jillaine

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Don't give those cotton shirts to your DH, use the fabric! lol

Well I think you did well, despite not finding fabric. It can be very hit and miss....either famine or plenty in the fabric department! Half the fun is the hunt and just rummaging....amazing what you can find.

Blog Entries
    Don't have fabric at our Salvation Armies, but Friday is 5 for $5. I'm making a quilt from recycled men's shirts, so I'm going to get 5 more tomorrow. not as cheap as I've read some folks can get them for, but a lg or x lg men's long sleeve shirt yields quite a bit of fabric for a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by ctack2
    The fabric I find at Goodwill here, even on half price days is outrageous! Even the clothing is unreal. I went to MI last week, and the prices in thrift stores was cheaper than half price days here!
    The Goodwill I used to haunt in Bend was a brand new store. It was so disappointing though. The prices were outrageous and the store was already looking dirty. I'd rather shop at the Salvation Army or the thrift store that was ran by the Methodist Church. Even though Tuesdays were 50% off for Seniors, they never asked my age. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Glad I didn't make the drive to Frederick!!! There's another in either Hagerstown or Germantown, but Rockville is about as far north as I'm willing to drive. And it has to take a LOT for me to cross the Potomac Ocean (River).

Nonlocals: apologies for inside-the-beltway "humor".

Now Salvation Army... mmm... another exploration to make.

Craigslist, eh? Really? I'll have to check it out.

-- Jillaine
    I don't blame you one bit! I'm right there with you, only I don't like to cross the PO the other direction. :lol: About half the time I end up just taking the first road that looks busy and hoping it crosses 50!

I do head toward Baltimore a good bit, though. Don't forget to check their Craigslist, too.

Blog Entries
    It's supposed to snow tomorrow in CALIFORNIA?????

Egads!!!

Blog Entries
    Our Goodwill store doesn't have any fabric either and I tried to buy some ties for a crazy quilt but they were too expensive ($2.99 to $5.00).

Goodwill bought out a Rooms to Go a mile from my house. I checked them out one time and the prices were a shock. It seems everything within 50 miles of Mickey in Orlando is priced for the tourists. i haven't gone back.

Goodwill bought out a Rooms to Go a mile from my house. I checked them out one time and the prices were a shock. It seems everything within 50 miles of Mickey in Orlando is priced for the tourists. i haven't gone back.

Blog Entries
    Our gw doesn't always have fabric. It is definitely hit and miss. I always look at it as a treasure hunt!

Happy Hunting!

Blog Entries
    I found some vintage curtain panels and a dress in a size way too big for me, but made with beautiful fabric, it's currently being turned into an apron with matching potholders.

I was told the reason goodwill prices r so high is because they r only obligated to give 17percent rest is profit for them. Out thrift store owner told me that it is a church store for the poor. They to do have very little fabric and very dirty!

I saw some fabric in our RED WHITE AND BLUE store. I didn't like what they had but someone might. Hamiton Twp. NJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast