Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No gumption to sew!!!

I have been in one of those moods where I tell myself when I get home from work I will do this and this and get back to my sewing. Well for the last 2 or 3 weeks I haven't had the gumption to do anything. Have you ever felt like that except when your feeling sick? Today I pulled out my machine and a block to work on and now just to get started I have made it that far and feel alittle better. But once I get started there are days I could sew all day and not want to go to sleep at night. Well my machine is calling me.

Been there, done that! I have been on line here so much that I haven't done much sewing. Today, the sun is shining and I feel like sewing! :lol:

Ya know, I have been feeling like that for the last 4-5 weeks. My biggest problem is I do have a small fabric stash but nothing really goes together so I can't get motivated. Being new to quilting I'm not sure what pattern to use. I don't want to do the same one over and over again. Not to mention I can't just run out and buy since there is nothing in this town. Someone gave me a boat load of 4" squares. I have no idea what to do with them. They don't go together any better then my small stash. The longer this goes on I'm thinking I may lose interest :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Been there, done that! I have been on line here so much that I haven't done much sewing. Today, the sun is shining and I feel like sewing! :lol:
    I am feeling the same way as Shemjo today, also. I think it happens to all of us. I just need to get off this computer & start SEWING!! But I don't want to miss anything!! :D :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    been there done that , most of the winter has been that way for me and I have PLENTY of fabric ! In my case i think the lack of sun and it being so cold has killed my creatiness. For example, my niece is getting married and loves mickey and Minnie mouse, i have the brother disney embroidery machine.... do you think I could remember that and make her something special for the shower ? Uh no...Its been a bad winter for me... Just hang in there it does get better
    Sharon

I think everyone has been there, quilterj.

Dingle, please don't give up. What patterns have you done? You could use those 4" squares for lots of different blocks.

Blog Entries
    I get this way a lot. I find if I re organize my sewing room it helps to get in a sewing mood.

Yes I think that we all have been there or are there. I call it being frumpy

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I get this way a lot. I find if I re organize my sewing room it helps to get in a sewing mood.
    That is exactly my cure! I think sometimes we are just worn slick from the real life in everything we do in a day! It's not the actual working on a project that can get us, is sometimes the getting it all out to do or organized together to work on something that is our dread. I know I have to move upstairs when the weather gets cold and sometimes it is the dread of going back down AGAIN for that 1 thing!:)So, if that is it..organize yourself and area to sew 'tomorrow'..have it all out and organized and ready...so there is no 'think' to it...just the enjoyment. If I am in my real area...I do find picking it up and getting things back like I like it...can really motivate me to make a mess again!:)Keep us posted! Skeat

Thanks everyone I feel much better after hearing that you go through this too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Ya know, I have been feeling like that for the last 4-5 weeks. My biggest problem is I do have a small fabric stash but nothing really goes together so I can't get motivated. Being new to quilting I'm not sure what pattern to use. I don't want to do the same one over and over again. Not to mention I can't just run out and buy since there is nothing in this town. Someone gave me a boat load of 4" squares. I have no idea what to do with them. They don't go together any better then my small stash. The longer this goes on I'm thinking I may lose interest :(
    4" squares that don't go together. hmmmmmm .... sounds like a scrap quilt beggin' to happen. ;-)

check this site for ideas. http://quiltville.com/

Oh, I agree, Patrice. A scrappy quilt would pick up the spirits. I have to get organized though, too.

Right now I'm looking at 3, yes three boxes of GoldStar banners I have to get delivered this week, with remembrance books to parents that have lost their children in the wars.

I have quilts begun in various stages, one just needs binding, one needs sashing of blocks together (guess which one that is, sigh) one needs more blocks made for it, my mom's requested quilt for a great neice hasn't even been cut yet, it's just the fabric bought and banded. I've got quilting magazines all over my room, I've got a cross stitch memorial going, I'm frustrated with disorganization.

I get depressed in chaos and end up doing nothing but walking out of the house to shop for MORE fabric.

TOMORROW:

My goal is to get ALL the Blue Star things in ONE box, get it in the truck to deliver on Tuesday when CNA is here.

Goal two: get the magazines in order and back in the bookcase.

Goal three: get the binding on my great nephew's guilt.

Who's going to hold me accountable??? Someone has to check with me or I'll be behinder and behinder and I'll end up lying in a puddle on my bed and not accomplish a thing.

See, you're not alone!

Hugs,
    Sharon

I have times I dream about quilting and other times I need to let my quilt age. LOL. The times I don't feel like quilting are few and far between. But I do have them.

During those times I just don't feel like sewing, I feel like I'm cooking some design idea in the back of my brain. When it's done, I won't be able to stay away from the sewing machine. So don't worry about it! You'll know when the time is right! (Although reorganizing things certainly does help!)

ok, Harmony, I'm going to. Tomorrow is Monday, good day to get the ducks lined up and running in order. :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Oh, I agree, Patrice. A scrappy quilt would pick up the spirits. I have to get organized though, too.

Right now I'm looking at 3, yes three boxes of GoldStar banners I have to get delivered this week, with remembrance books to parents that have lost their children in the wars.

I have quilts begun in various stages, one just needs binding, one needs sashing of blocks together (guess which one that is, sigh) one needs more blocks made for it, my mom's requested quilt for a great neice hasn't even been cut yet, it's just the fabric bought and banded. I've got quilting magazines all over my room, I've got a cross stitch memorial going, I'm frustrated with disorganization.

I get depressed in chaos and end up doing nothing but walking out of the house to shop for MORE fabric.

TOMORROW:

My goal is to get ALL the Blue Star things in ONE box, get it in the truck to deliver on Tuesday when CNA is here.

Goal two: get the magazines in order and back in the bookcase.

Goal three: get the binding on my great nephew's guilt.

Who's going to hold me accountable??? Someone has to check with me or I'll be behinder and behinder and I'll end up lying in a puddle on my bed and not accomplish a thing.

See, you're not alone!

Hugs,
    Sharon
    Believe me, I am NOT one to be giving any ideas or suggestions on this topic, but here is what worked for me just this past week.

I have so many projects started that need to be finished soon (and more waiting to be started). One morning as I was getting dressed for an appointment, I decided to do as Nancy (Sewing with Nancy) suggests. I was to leave at 10 AM. It was 9:45 and I was ready.. So I said to myself, "Get in there and sew ONE seam." Well, I sewed one seam, and then another, and then another. By 10, I had a whole row done. Well, I couldn't wait to get back to work some more. I made 3 rows of blocks that day.

Someone suggested (on another thread) that we put aside our WIP and do something new to get motivated.

Also -- on your "TOMORROW" list, take only ONE item a day. Before you know it, they will all be done.

Hang in there. You're not alone. :lol:

When I'm not sewing I look for my next project ....that seems to get the juices flowing and I have to finish what I'm working on so I can start something new.....that is what works for me.....sometimes it can take days to weeks but I always find that irrisitable pattern.....:-).......hope this will help you.....:-)

Yup, been there, done that! I go in my room, all ready to sew, then turn around and walk out.

thank goodness i'm not the only one!,I have been berating myself for not doing any sewing,so I went to a quilt show to get some motivation,and it worked>I started to work on some unfinished projects that I have,There is so much I want to do and not enough time to do it.By the time I get home from work,make dinner, pick up my daughter from Softball practice,keep the house in decent shape,it just never seems to end

Sometimes it helps to watch some quilting programs to jumpstart you again. My enthusiasm rarely sags; most days I would rather quilt than eat.

Banned
    Been down that road a few times. I love sewing, but there are days I'd rather just be a couch potatoe and embroider or cross stitch.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the midst of one of those phases right now. I think my problem is that I moved the sewing machine from the living room to a spare room. Now I feel isolated cause there's no company and no TV. Been talking to DH about getting one in the room for me. Hope that helps. I'm feeling guilty about all the projects that are just sitting there!

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    Sometimes it helps to watch some quilting programs to jumpstart you again. My enthusiasm rarely sags; most days I would rather quilt than eat.
    :lol: Now THAT'S EXTREME!!! :mrgreen: I can't think of anything I'd rather do than eat. Perhaps that's why I'm overweight.

Blog Entries
    Dingle - sounds like you have all the makins for a wonderful SCRAPPY QUILT. Git in there girl and start sewin....

Blog Entries
    Dingle! Sounds to me like you have the perfect "makins" for a beautiful SCRAPPY Quilt. Git in there girl and CREATE, start sewin....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast