Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Quilting Purchases!!!

I have been on a major Fabric, etc. Diet for most of the spring and summer. The only way I have been successful is stay out of the shops! I have a girlfriend who comes over sometimes and we sew together. Lots of fun.
    Good Luck! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    I inquired about the price of having two pictures framed. $150. Ask about the 50 % off and was told that was already included. $300 to frame two pics 11" x 17"? I don't think so.
    I'm always cheap when it comes to picture frames. I buy a picture with a frame the size I need and turn the picure around to use as backing for what ever I'm trying to frame.

Do you use a budget? I mean like an actual all of your money is managed with a budget? If not, that's a good idea. You can make a category for quilt related stuff. Then you know exactly what you have available to you each month and you don't have to feel guilty if you spend some money. Make it be a cash budget- keep the cash for each category in a separate envelope- and only take that cash with you when you shop.

Also, if you know you really shouldn't be buying anything, and if you're anything like 99% of us on here, you have more projects in the works than you have time to finish any time soon! Dig one of those out and make some progress. Or, if you absolutely *have* to start something new, make a scrappy! (Come on, you know you've got plenty of scraps! ;) )I've just finished the blocks for a scrappy quilt, getting ready to sew the top together, and it was a lot of fun. I did purchase fabric for the setting blocks and backing, but will be using a brand new package of Warm and Natural batting I bought at a yard sale for $2 (score!) and will bind it with fabric from my stash, so, all in all, this quilt will have a pretty reasonable cost. If I weren't using setting blocks, it could have been even cheaper!

Anyway, my point is that not going out and buying, buying, buying doesn't have to be a drag. You can still enjoy quilting for the pure joy of quilting! :)

wow!!!you are just like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!good luck!!

MY FRIEND AND I MADE A PACT........NO NEW PURCHASES...ONLY IF WE NEED SOMETHING TO FINISH A UFO.
    IT WAS REALLY HARD BUT SURE KEPT MY BUYING DOWN TO PRACTICALLY NOTHING. EVEN IF YOU DO IT EVERY OTHER MONTH IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. GOOD LUCK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Do you use a budget? I mean like an actual all of your money is managed with a budget? If not, that's a good idea. You can make a category for quilt related stuff. Then you know exactly what you have available to you each month and you don't have to feel guilty if you spend some money. Make it be a cash budget- keep the cash for each category in a separate envelope- and only take that cash with you when you shop.

Also, if you know you really shouldn't be buying anything, and if you're anything like 99% of us on here, you have more projects in the works than you have time to finish any time soon! Dig one of those out and make some progress. Or, if you absolutely *have* to start something new, make a scrappy! (Come on, you know you've got plenty of scraps! ;) )I've just finished the blocks for a scrappy quilt, getting ready to sew the top together, and it was a lot of fun. I did purchase fabric for the setting blocks and backing, but will be using a brand new package of Warm and Natural batting I bought at a yard sale for $2 (score!) and will bind it with fabric from my stash, so, all in all, this quilt will have a pretty reasonable cost. If I weren't using setting blocks, it could have been even cheaper!

Anyway, my point is that not going out and buying, buying, buying doesn't have to be a drag. You can still enjoy quilting for the pure joy of quilting! :)
    Budgets are not my strong suit... ugh. I am going to try tho. :) I think that if I was home all the time, I could sew sew sew away! However, I have lots of time at work to think about new fabrics and patterns... and then buy them! :) But... I am trying to turn over a new leaf. :) I did "look" online and filled the "basket" and then exited out of the site without buying. Worked pretty good! :)

I don't have much of a stash but I have decided not to buy anymore fabric or tools unless I need them for a specific project, and to do scrappy quilts. I have started deleting emails from quilting/crafting stores. I recently learned how to knit as a skein of yarn is a lot cheaper than a bunch of fabric for a project. If I find some fabric for 1.50 or 2.00 I will buy one or two yards and that is it!

Quote Originally Posted by prairie_girl
    I don't have much of a stash but I have decided not to buy anymore fabric or tools unless I need them for a specific project, and to do scrappy quilts. I have started deleting emails from quilting/crafting stores. I recently learned how to knit as a skein of yarn is a lot cheaper than a bunch of fabric for a project. If I find some fabric for 1.50 or 2.00 I will buy one or two yards and that is it!
    I used to knit a few years ago... mostly scarves and I did do one afghan. I never got into it like I have with quilting... :) It was A LOT cheaper tho!! You are right about that! :)

Ahhh- what do they say about good intentions?? Something about paving the way to hell?? I had good intentions but then my LQS had a "Christmas in Summertime" celebration with 25% off everything in the store - unfortunately I had cash in my wallet so there it went!! But I did get a great idea for a cute Advent calender for my grandson using a pattern I already have and out of my stash so I'm happy. Now to try to get back to those "good intentions".

:roll: It is a difficult situation. Fabric talks to me and there have been times it has just flat jumped into my shopping cart. And you know perfectly well that you can't put it back for fear that someone will see you changing your mind and, well, you know what talk that can cause. ha No seriously, I know what you are talking about and I have the same problem. I bought some more fabric today which I plan on making up real soon. (Thats what I've said about the fabric I have in my stash for 35 qult tops.) And lets not discuss books. Mercy, I can't pass them up either. So you are not alone and if you figure out how to break the cycle, please let us all know. Love to you. Oh yes, cheaper than a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by jean1941
    May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL
    I also agree. I stay away from the LQS so I don't spend money I can't afford. My stash still have great fabrics for me to make use of.

Geez. I wish I knw the answer. I am in the same boat. DH says I do not know the difference between "on sale and for sale".. LOL

I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's so difficult to pass up buying new patterns, fabric, you name it! Right now I have so many UFO's that it's crazy, and I have somewhat committed to working on several of them as they are close to being done anyway.

However, with that said, look at it as an investment, you know, for retirement. If you retire and don't have lots of money to spend on quilt stuff, you can dig thru your stash! When you consider that fabric prices are going up, up, up, this make a TINY BIT of sense!

I truly beleive I am stashing for retirement! :) I stopped by Thursday nite 10 minutes before Hancocks closed. Just got some material for backing and thread. Didn't do to bad. I gave a quilt for a birthday gift last week, and today I made some blankies and such for a local motherhood shelter! Also, made a few pincushions for Christmas gifts. All this takes time and money and a much dreaded trip to the fabric store, I guess I got to do it!:) I need to make a few more things before I can do more purchases! Unless I find a great sale or my car steers it's way into a quilt store!

Quote Originally Posted by amymarieski
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's so difficult to pass up buying new patterns, fabric, you name it! Right now I have so many UFO's that it's crazy, and I have somewhat committed to working on several of them as they are close to being done anyway.

However, with that said, look at it as an investment, you know, for retirement. If you retire and don't have lots of money to spend on quilt stuff, you can dig thru your stash! When you consider that fabric prices are going up, up, up, this make a TINY BIT of sense!
    Oh, I think that makes sew much sense!!!

When you figure it out PLEASE let me know! I need help! :shock:

My main approach is setting a cash budget, and shopping with cash. Leaving credit cards and checkbooks at home. (Just like others have said).

I personally avoid going to quilt stores. I have unsubscribed from quilting store emails/flyers. They are both HUG temptation points for me.

I'm currently participating in the fabric moratorium (on this board). It's been going since November last year, and ends this November. There are a number of options, depending on areas that you want to focus on. It doesn't need to be a "don't buy at all" approach.

My preference is to purchase backing, batting and a small amount of fabric to finish WIPs or other projects purchased but not yet started.

Some have decided that they will spend when really good sales occur. "Really good" is dependent on their own budget.

I'm afraid the only real answer is self constraint. But in that you can express great creativity with the resources you already have.

Good luck.

I just stay home, and delete the adds without opening them. Did go shopping yesterday, spent less than $40.00 at JoAnn's.
    Saving for Marden's in Oct.:)

Every time I resolve to stop buying I, too, see something I can't live without. However, the stash is now obscene, I'm out of storage space in my made to order quilt studio and I haven't finished anything in several years. I tell people that my hobby is buying fabric and starting quilts. Perhaps we should start a support group similar to AA. Commit to completing a UFO before setting foot in another quilt shop unless you need something for that particular UFO. Take a buddy with you to squelch your tendency to start check out any other stuff there. I have a similar problem with chocolate and make it a hard and fast rule to never have it in the house.

Jane (Kit's mamma and I'm Rocky's mamma too.)

TAKE YOUR SPOUSE. HE'LL FOLLOW YOU AND PUT THE DAMPER ON BUYING MORE....voice of experience

Another thing that helped me was a guild UFO challenge. There are lots of different ways to do it, but we were to commit to finishing 6 projects, 1 each month, over a 6 month period. We had to be very specific about our projects. Then on that certain day each month, we were supposed to bring that month's project to the guild to show that it was done. If not, we had to pay $5.

Well, guess what, it cost me $30!!! Then we had a party for everyone who participated with lots of pies, cookies, etc. purchased with the money collected. Needless to say, I felt that I could have brought 1 or 2 friends with the money I had contributed. But, I had worked hard on each and every project, and even tho they weren't finished they were much farther along than they would have been.

Anyway, just an idea!!!

Blog Entries
    I think I'm doing well when I cut four baby quilts out of my stash and then go out and buy double the material I just cut. You can ask the blind to lead the blind.

Blog Entries
    I think I'm doing well when I cut four baby quilts out of my stash and then go out and buy double the material I just cut. You can't ask the blind to lead the blind.

Recently I decided to reorganize my stash. It became crystal clear that I needed to use a substantial amount before I bought anymore. I have lots that I wonder, "What was I thinking?" when it was purchased.

My goal is to make most of the gifts this year and see where I am come the first of the year.

Stop going into the store. That helps. In addition, allow yourself to buy a fat quarter, just not yardage.

I know and get it. I actually have a goal now as I'm buying a Bernina tomorrow, so that is the end of my fabric purchases until it's paid off next year. The only exception is fabric needed to finish a project. Even swaps are on hold because nearly always, I need to buy at least background fabric.

If you can't help yourself, then make a goal. Leave the checkbook and credit card at home. Take $30 and once a month, that is what you have to spend. When it's gone, you can't buy more.

If you tend to buy online, then you need to DELETE all your links to fabric places. They will still be there. There will still be cool fabric.

Finally, ask your enabler friends to help you by not reminding you of sales or reasons to go to the fabric store. If you go shopping, remind yourself - is this a want or a need? If a want, don't buy it.

It's really hard to discipline yourself when you are in a habit of buying whatever you want, guilt later.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast