Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM

I give myself a limit of $20.00 each month to buy new fabric. I only buy fabric that is on sale for under $4.00 per yard. Then if there is something I need ( like thread, pins and sewing needles) I put a side what money I have left from the $20.00 in a jar and save it until there is a sale on these items.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Great solution. Stay home, don't read the ads from your favorite stores,and work on things you already have the fabric for.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM

When you figure this out please post. I try to come up with all types of plans but so far nothing works.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?
Yes, I put the brakes on when I see in my minds eye my husband looking over the credit card purchases or the bank statement - that usually makes me think twice because we're trying to cut back.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Stay out of the fabric stores, LQS, and fabric depts. of your local dept. store.

I have the same problem. When I go to WalMart (fabric now in middle of store) I have to walk by there almost evertime I go there. It is really, really, really hard to keep walking and not veir off into the fabric shelves.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie R
Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?
Yes, I put the brakes on when I see in my minds eye my husband looking over the credit card purchases or the bank statement - that usually makes me think twice because we're trying to cut back.
I think that would make it more simple! I have no one to "police" my spending... :)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Hopefully, at some point, we all reach our own point, like alot of us have stated here. Then, it does get easier, trust me. I am glad I mainly just buy a few fqs, now & then, & can stop at that. An occasional book or pattern, that works too, & I am finding more free stuff online, that I like. Just like all the great tutes & sharing, that goes on on this board. So ladies, & gent quilters too, you all will hopefully reach that point too, & began to appreciate all that wonderful stash you have already! Then it will be like xmas & you will begin to have so much, playing with all that you already have! Think of it like when you are trying to lose weight, quit smoking, or break any other bad habits. The first step is wanting too, then it does get easier.... it really is all in our minds...
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM

there are times i can walk into Joann's and walk out empty-handed...it just takes self control
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM

I don't go when I'm low on money that way I don't know what I would love to buy. It's to easy to buy when your there. Good Luck. Sue
Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 PM

cards at home checks also and take only a few dollars which makes u make a decision as to what ot buy.
reward yourself only if you finish a project.
avoid sales w/o a plan only buy waht you really need what you really want.