Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM

I am with Jean. Money is not there so I stopped buying last fall. Only essential things are purchased now. (A fat qtr. in a certain color green I didn't have, for instance.) It actually has made me give my stash a better look rather than just purchase everythung new. I finally asked myself why am I saving it? Its time to use up whats on hand. I am also saving scraps so am planning a great scrap quilt too.

Originally Posted by jean1941
May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM

I do #3 all the time. Its amazing how easy it is to dump it and forget it after an hour of shopping for it.

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker
Originally Posted by lue
Okay, Fellow Quilters & Fabric-holics, This is my game plan (and it's fairly effective when I STAY OUT OF THE FABRIC STORES!!!)
1. I shop in my stash.
2. I stay out of the stores and make a quilt!
3. I "shop" on line and put all kinds of beautiful fabrics in the "cart", then LOG OFF without making a purchase. It FEELS as though I've shopped but I haven't spent any money. If I LOOK on line and PRETEND that I've shopped, that seems to do it for me.
3. Now part of MY problem is that I LOVE a bargain (You DO know that you go to hell if you pay retail) so if someone says its on SALE, I HAVE to look! So I look on line, take a deep breath, QUILT instead of shopping for quilts, and then it's all good.

Truth be told, if I were able to make a quilt a week for the next 5 years I'd still have fabric left so over so when I shop I buy solids so I'll have something to that goes with all the stash I currently have.
Lue great ideas, I have a freind that does not sew/quilt but has lots of fabric. But she is always looking at my quilts and wishing for one. I tell her to give me the fabric for the quilt pattern she wants and I'll make it for her. Yet she never does, her one coment was she who dies with the biggest stash is the winner??? no sense in that to me, still she doean't have a beautiful hand made quilt just store bought ones that have no feeling quilted in them..
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 AM

If we find a formula for 'no more quilt purchases' can we begin on 'no more snacks'? :lol:
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

All the replies above are well put and tricks I also use! I love shopping my stash which is huge. Both DH and I are retired and living on less.

Once I shop my stash, not only do I surprise myself by finding beautiful fabric I had forgotten about, but I also come up with lots of ideas for fabric combinations.

I also use large batting scraps by zig zagging the pieces together to make one batting. I find the new batting iron on tape doesn't hold the pieces seams on batting as well as I would like.

I love to shop on line, put everything I like in the cart or on the design board and then delete the cart once the shopping is out of my system.

The kitties loves to help me sort thru stash so that gives us good 1-1 time together.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM

For those who need more help ...

http://www.stashbuster.com/
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Set aside a specific amount of $$ that you can afford each month for purchases. When it's gone, stay out of the stores until your allowance is replenished. It takes discipline but you can do it if you really want to.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by catsnchina
All the replies above are well put and tricks I also use! I love shopping my stash which is huge. Both DH and I are retired and living on less.

Once I shop my stash, not only do I surprise myself by finding beautiful fabric I had forgotten about, but I also come up with lots of ideas for fabric combinations.

I also use large batting scraps by zig zagging the pieces together to make one batting. I find the new batting iron on tape doesn't hold the pieces seams on batting as well as I would like.

I love to shop on line, put everything I like in the cart or on the design board and then delete the cart once the shopping is out of my system.

The kitties loves to help me sort thru stash so that gives us good 1-1 time together.
I do the same thing with my left over battling scarps, I was amazied how much I could save doing that. my kitty loved to helpp me sew.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

I am using stash only now. Hard to resist but I am staying home more. I am also not looking on line at all of the places I know and love. It is determination!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Sometimes I think this all started with everything being on sale all the time. I am not trying to look for an excuse, but years ago there used to be real sales, now a days they just say it is on sale. I remember when House of Fabric had their 50% off all fabric twice a year. It was a mad house! They didn't bring in cheap fabric, it really was a true sale of the items in the store. But now every week there is a sale, every day there is something to drag us into the stores or looking at on line. And I wonder is is really a sale? I have decided to stay home unless I am looking for something. I quit buying thread until I know it will go with the fabric. And I only buy fabric I know I am going to use and when I am going to use it.

My sewing room is over loaded with machines & fabric. Several of my friends think I am crazy when I offer them to check my stash when they are making a theme quilt like an I Spy. That way I get my stash a bit reduced and they don't have to buy as much. (My favorite quilts are the children's I Spy. So I have a lot of children's, Christmas & Halloween fabric.)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM

that is the way I have to do, on a fixed income SSI.