Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM

I go to Joann's with a friend now... she isn't a quilter so she doesn't let me "play" in the fabric section. Lately though I have been going to my stash before I grab my keys to go anywhere else.

Last weekend I was good I only bought something if I had a purpose for it... if I didn't know what I was going to use it for I didn't get it.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips!! I really loved the one about being creative with hiding my fabric purchases in my budget. :) However, I only have my own income, and I really cant hide my purchases from myself!! LOL!! I honestly only have two totes of stash... I have only been quilting a few years, but my has it grown in the past few months!! I am going to employ some of these tips, especially, only buying the "B's" and making all the things I have already bought fabric for... wish me luck! And good luck to all of you!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Yep I know exactly what you mean. I cleaned up and rearranged my sewing room a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how many "kits" i had hiding!! But like Montana Quilter, I only pay with cash and don't get the credit card out at all. When I'm out of cash in my wallet, that's it!! But then again, all that stash is like money in the bank since the cost of cotton keeps going up - at least that's what I tell myself!! LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Here's my idea. Only take cash to the store. Leave your credit card,debit card, checkbook, etc. at home. That way you can only spend what is in your pocket. Then, only buy what you really need. Like batting or a specific color of thread. If that doesn't work take along a friend who will be willing to keep you on the straight and narrow path to less spending. Better be a good and honest friend you trust. HaHa.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Montana Quilter
I only take the money I can spend to the fabric store. Leave checkbook and credit cards at home, it's the only wasy I can not spend wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much!
You are so right!! Only take the amount of money that you have to spend and then don't take anything else with you. Great idea!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

I have double the problem, I have two addictions. Quilting supplies (fabric, notions, etc.) and embroidery designs. If there is help for these two addictions I sure need it.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

do the projects you purchased fabric for and when you are finished then you can look again ;) I have been using my stash and IF and only IF I REALLY NEED something then I go out looking with only money enough to purchase what is needed. I had to set myself a budget or I would be purchasing the whole store :)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

I find it helps a lot if I disconnect the battery cables in my car ... :wink: :wink:
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I find it helps a lot if I disconnect the battery cables in my car ... :wink:
OH DEAR :shock:
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM

I feel the same way. I have promised myself that I will finish what I have before I get some more fabrics. Then for some reason there is this magnet at the fabric store that pulls me right inside. And those fabrics winks at me and seems to call me by name. Oh, what a tough life!