Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM

I have to make myself stay home .. I tell myself I have enough and then try to work on things I already have. Works for a while. I usually go a couple months before I get the urge to go out again, and then watch out!!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I have a hard time not buying fabric. It is a pleasure for so many senses that I don't seem to mind pulling out the credit card. However, I took a hard look at my stash and had to admit that I am fast approaching the ludicrous level. NOW, the only fabric I am allowed to buy if IFF I need it (and I mean REALLY NEED not want) to complete a UFO, for backing (because I don't have many large pieces).

Last week I got to buy some fabric to complete a border on a Round Robin. It surprised me, but I actually figured out how much fabric the project needed and I managed to buy that much with a tiny fudge factor for shrinkage. Perfect!

You just need to be honest with yourself.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have made myself a challenge to use up some of my stash before I go buy new stuff. Problem is...I can be sewing for many years before I need to enter a store again...that is no fun!
Ok so God has a different plan for you than shopping for fabric...Huggs...
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Must have been the day for it...had breakfast with a friend and then off to a quilt shop for us...3 hours in quilt shop...budget blown for the next month...but ooooh I have some pretty Amy Butler fabrics and 3 new quilt books that were 1/2 off...can't resist a good deal...more for my money!...or at least that is what I am telling myself..and my husband..hehe
Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM

If your downfall is your lunch hours, why don't you bring a small hand project in to work on during lunch? Or a quilting book from the library? Something to occupy you so that you don't have the urge to "just go take a look." ;)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by khurtdvm
If your downfall is your lunch hours, why don't you bring a small hand project in to work on during lunch? Or a quilting book from the library? Something to occupy you so that you don't have the urge to "just go take a look." ;)
I have done that in the past... I will have to start that again. My hand quilting project is too big I think, but I have some Hexagons I can get to sewing. :)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Best way...leave your credit card at home...bring cash only...that way you really have to think...what do I really want and also bring only what your budget can afford.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM

I am so bad grounded right now. First the bow purses got me bad and I had to have the pattern in both sizes. My quilt book club had a huge sale, had to take advantage of that in June so I could get a better deal in July. Working on the breast cancer quilt for grams and with boys I needed pink fabric for it, then the fabric I had to get for the BOM quilts I am finally putting together and need to buy what I can when I can find it (being discontinued and all). Of course, who can pass up on a 40% off coupon at JoAnn's when I finally found the triangle ruler I wanted forever.....I am just bad, bad, bad and so grounded so I guess that is how I am going to be saving in August--LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM

I have to NOT go shopping or looking
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

You stop going to the stores. You stop looking online. If you have to get something at the store take only that much money, no credit cards or check book.

I am addicted to shopping and have had to stop spending. I've got to stay on my budget. So what I put above is what I do.

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?