No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
I got nothing :-(
Lol - good one!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The online sales are a killer for me!!! In this heat I'm content to stay home but getting online......... and on top of it everyone on the board tells me where the latest sale is, shame on all of you!!! LOL :D
I agree. It's all you who are leading me astray!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Honey I'm feeling your pain. Here's what I do when I get that urge to buy fabric. I buy a FQ or 2 and then leave the store. It's satisfies my need to buy and I don't go over budget. :-)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?
What you said about "stop looking" is the only thing that works for me. If I look, I buy! So I've been saving on gas and not buying since I am not looking (much) anymore!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by happymrs
I don't purchase much anymore. I have so much stash, beautiful stash, so try to work from it, as much as possible. I go to quilt club once a month & usually buy a few fqs, but not a lot else. DH is retired now, so we live on less, but you know, mainly, I want to put my stash to good use, & enjoy it while I can, & I hate to think of leaving it all to someone else someday!
Something that helps me too, is I go spend time in my studio, going through what I already have. That's a real wake up call! So you all might try doing that sometimes. You just might be amazed at what you already have in your stash, & start thinking about not buying a lot more, all the time. This has helped me ALOT..
Leaving it for someone else?? MY stash???? Oh now if thats not a wake up call I dont know what is!!!!! Wowsers!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM

I ran into Joanns today for some fusible fleece, well i got that and 3 yards of fabric and a button. I can't help you.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a couple suggestions. (I, too am a fabricoholic.) One thing I saw posted here and disagree with... NEVER say you won't buy any for a year! Stick to the principles of AA...One Day At A Time. Just say,"For today I am ok, I will not buy any fabric today!" Then tomorrow say it again and so on. A year, or a month or even a week can seem daunting; back it down to one day at a time! Its much easier. You might even need to get a sponsor to help you over the rough spots when you want to backslide. (Just kidding.)

But when you have the overwhelming urge to buy and decide to make a trip to the fabric dept., try this tip I learned from my sister... Just buy 1/8 yd pieces. You will be amazed at what gorgeous scrap quilts you can make with just 1/8 yard pieces! And for just the price of one yard you get 8 pieces of fabric to fondle! ;o) Seriously this really works!

But I must confess, tonight I back slid. On my way home from work I stopped at Hobby Lobby and purchased 1 1/2 yds of fabric. One yard of chicken fabric I had seen a purse made from, and 1/2 yard of a vege print I wanted for a border for my vege quilt. (And both were 30% off.) I also saw some gorgeous new Xmas prints that I really wanted, but I walked away! I'm trying!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Cyn

Sorry I can't help. I have the same problem :)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

In order to not buy, I have to not look. I make it a point *not* to stop at quilt stores or JoAnn's anymore. Helps a lot!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM

There was a fabric moratorium started in november. We pledged to use our stash. It was flexible, you could buy fabric for backing or to finish a UFO. But we made up our
mind that we did not NEED more fabric, the $I saved was phenominal. As tme went by it was easier and easier. Reality is that $ is tight everywere, some live on budgets and fixed incomes. I will no doubt continue this practice.

My DH bought me fabric for xmas and b'day. And yes if I find a deal at a swap shop I will buy it. few or no money.
But no more yards and yards at 8/9$ a yard.
There are no quilting police and there are no moratorium police. It is just a mindset we allowed ourselves to fall into.