Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: No Santa for me!

I do the same thing. Look at the material and inspiration will come!!!!!!!!!

Power Poster
    stay away from the fabric stores and fabric sites on the computer. It is hard but it can be done. Look at what you already have and I'm sure that will help you stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I've taken a break for even looking - sale or no sale. It's going to be a tough winter with a frigid Dec. & gas prices going up by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I have been very Bad! I went online this morning and browsed the sale at Fabric.com....An hour later i checked out with a 37.00 total after the coupon code and got Free shipping. So i now have over 10 yds of fabric coming and i have no idea what i am going to do with it yet. Santa will be SO MAD! I keep telling myself..."no more fabric" I have absolutely NOOOOOOOO willpower. I think i need to have DH take away my laptop for a few months. I hope i am not the only one with this "illness"
    I am starting to scare myself. Any advise on how to stop being so compulsive?????????
    I agree with Donna Jean. I have to cut down not just for financial reasons, but for space constraints, and the only way I've found is to STOP LOOKING!

To help satiate my being a fabric junkie I will look at a sale site and put all I want in the cart. Then when I go look at the cart and see the total, I nearly faint and delete it all. That way I can shop and not buy anything. I do the same thing at places like WalMart. Fill my buggy, decide what I don't need and return the items where I got them. When I stated quilting, my DD's made me promise not to stockpile fabric. Too bad--I just got better at hiding it. I do buy but not as much as I think I want.

I have NO will power for buying fabric or eating red velvet cake.

I've been addicted to remnants. They are such a bargain! I can't resist. I just ordered some fabric online the other day so I can't give advice, but before I order I ask myself if I absolutly love it and can't live without it and I have a use for it. If the answer is yes, I go for it, if not I pass.

Katie,
    This made me chuckle :lol: Maybe we should give out pins (10 day for you) for those of you who are on the wagon..heehee

I have a new system, I put everything in the cart that I want then turn the computer off. By the time I get back to it, I've decided I don't want it any more.

Blog Entries
    i keep telling my DH quilting and buying fabric is cheaper than a psychiatrist. anyone think he believes me.

It's winter. we have to buy more fabric to insulate our sewing rooms. Besides, it's a woman's job to help keep the economy going. We create jobs by buying fabric: store keepers, their employees, truck drivers to deliver to the stores, people at the mills to make the fabric and farmers to grow the cotton we need. It's downright Patriotic to spend, spend, spend.
    At least that's my excuse. LOL

It is very hard to control oneself (especially fabric). But I try to wait until i want to make another quilt and of all my fabric i never have enough of the right one, worse is i do not have a sewing room to put it in. SO I have to control it... I will have to keep making scrap quilts.... lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

nab
    I agree with all of you, but saying and doing are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by belmer
    Go in your sewing room and start organizing your fabric and all your scraps..... And you will feel like you just purchased more fabric, At least it keeps Me from buying more.
    I know how compulsive I am too, but I just keep telling myself enough is enough!
    Brenda,
    Love your avatar quilt!! Could you PM me the name of the pattern if you have it?
    Thanks, Cindy Lou Who

Blog Entries
    I have made 2 bed size quilts in the last month and have only spent $35 on fabric, with all the rest coming out of my stash. It was very satisfying!!

Pick out a pattern and then go through your stash and pick out what will work for it. Put the pattern and the fabric in a container together. Do 2 or 3 of these projects kits, then take one and start it.

By the time you get through with them, it'll be 3 or 4 months, and you'll have broken your habit of buying.

I can raise my hand and say honestly "That's what I did, and I broke my really bad habit". :thumbup: :thumbup: :P

You can do it!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Quote Originally Posted by liese
    You sound like me! During the summer I did the Fabric.com sale. When the UPS man showed up with the beat up box he wanted to open it to make sure nothing was damaged. I told him no worry -- it's only fabric -- 90 lbs of it! My DH was in shock -- 90 lbs of fabric in one delivery!
    Okay now i don't feel SO bad....90lbs???! OMG!!!
    I second that!!! 90 pounds???? WOW!!! I never got that much fabric at one time. How does that feel????? :lol: :lol: :shock:

Just remind yourself when you look out the window that with a cold winter ahead, the heating bill is going up and fast. Instead of buying, try looking for free patterns and ideas to make something different to give you a change from making quilts. It's a break from the same old thing day after day. If that doesn't help, walk away from the computer and pick up a good book. Those romance novels are pretty juicy and have kept me in one spot for hours.

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    Look at it this way, Women in the Civil War had saved fabrics etc and had to use them during the war. Women in the 20's saved fabrics and had to use them when things were so bad in the 30's. So Now we Save Fabrics and Hope we don't have to use them but times will still be Blessed and we can go to the stores and buy Fabrics if we want. I believe Santa is coming for me and you!!!

Don't feel so bad.. I went to Joanns to pick up a knick knack of something to handwork while out of town..
    I ended up seeing that all their clearance fabric was half-off of the already half-off price.. [and if you buy the end of the bolt, the remaining "remnant" (after the yardage on the bolt is accounted for) is half-off of the half-off of the half-off!]

12 bolts, a HUGE stack of one-yard cuts, and $90.66 later..
    I'm trying to figure out how to fit all this in the car with my mom, a 3 year old, AND our luggage. :)

I'll have even more fun not only fitting it in my sewing room back home.. but seeing the look on my DH's face when I start hauling all of it into the house.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4