Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Enough Fabric in a Kit >

Not Enough Fabric in a Kit

Not Enough Fabric in a Kit

Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 AM

I've had no problem with the kits from Connecting Threads. I've never been shorted and usually wind up with quite a few scraps.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I buy kits all the time and have always had extra fabric. I have two drawers full of all the extra fabric from all the kits I buy. I usually buy from Fat Quarter Shop, Keepsake Quilting, Fons and Porter, The Quilting Bee, and other reputable places. I also buy kits from the quilting magazines. I've very careful where I buy my kits. Maybe that's why I always have more than enough. It's sad that some places don't give you enough. It gives kits a bad name and that's too bad because I have such nice experiences with them.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 AM

I too have been shorted when buying a kit. I called the company & 4 weeks later got an email. They didn't make things right so I don't order from them any more. It's the only way to get their attention. I had to go to one of the local quilt shops to finish getting material. Thank goodness we have many great quilt shops in the area.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM

This seems to be a common problem. I have had to contact the seller and have not been successful in getting more. I finally used a piece from my stash for one kit and just left out the too short piece. It was cut so crooked I couldn't even square it. Bottom line I won't buy BOM at all and rarely kits.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM

I bought a Christmas kit after Christmas 2011, still in it's package, as I am waiting to improve my quilting skills, I love this quilt and would hate to mess up!! Months later I heard from a long armer that her experience this LQS had a tendency to short their kits, Holy Buckets!! Just hoped and prayed that would not be the case for me. So while at the Fons and Porter warehouse sale last all, I found matching fabric, needless to say I bought the last two yds, not knowing if I will need it or not...my butt is covered.
FYI: the Fons and Porter Warehouse sale is wonderful.
I hope to get the Christmas kit done this year. I have 2 Christmas quilts on my to do list.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM

I've also had BAD luck with kits therefore won't purchase them in the future. I like buying my own fabric and also purchasing "extra" so I don't have that same problem again. Nothing like spending $$$ for a kit and not have enough to finish the quilt.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Kits don't allow for any errors in cutting you must cut just as they show in their pattern. Most times you will never find the same fabric if you are short. If they are pre cut patterns ,it might work???
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM

YIKES, I guess I was lucky with the Crayon Quilt. It was my first kit and was nervous without knowing why!! I guess I will stick to the more known brands in the future, if I do try another kit.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
Kits don't allow for any errors in cutting you must cut just as they show in their pattern. Most times you will never find the same fabric if you are short. If they are pre cut patterns ,it might work???
My problem is that this is an applique kit. The fabric is just not cut wide enough. It is 4 1/2 inches wide, and the piece of the otter's stomach is 4 3/4 inches. I am currently in contact with the store I bought it from. Waiting to hear what they can do for me.
Attached Thumbnails 100_2144.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM

If you have to, you could piece that piece. If you fold the piece in half and cut one in each direction (plus 1/4" seam allowance) it would work. (unless there are other pieces that need to be cut from the same fabric)