Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Gonna Finish It >

Not Gonna Finish It

Not Gonna Finish It

Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM

I have tied baby quilts and it is very, very easy and less stressful. Also, they come out beautiful. Give it a try, you will be very pleased.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM

I prefer to piece the tops, but I also enjoy the quilting, and have quilted all the tops I've made. When I was a newbie, I just quilted in the ditch or 1/4" away from the seams and it worked great and it was easy!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM

When I finish these 2 baby quilts I will let you all see the quilting I do for the babies, its not anything like Ive seen I here but I just practice and bearly called quilting but the babies dont mind lol. All I have left is the binding yeahhhhh. thanks for the quilt class and the challenge seems to be working for me lol
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
OK, I decided to make a baby quilt for one of my best friend's grandbaby. Born in August. Got the top done (love it) and made the sandwich, but I just cannot get the quilting. I have ripped it out more than six times. I HATE QUILTING!!!!! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! I swear I would rather re-marry my ex than every quilt anything again! (And that is SO not going to happen) So, I am not going to finish it. I may take it up to my LQS and see if I can pay someone there to do it. It's just a baby quilt, so it's way too small to send to my LAQ'r. Otherwise, I'm gonna sew a big X from corner to corner and use it for a dog bed, or a bath mat or a cleaning rag. Note to self: NO MORE SMALL QUILTS!!
What kind of quilting are you trying to do on it? Just start in the center and work out doing something very simple. straight lines, vertical and horizontal, or you can do small x'es. Is there anyway you can just stitch in the ditch? You are trying to make it too hard on yourself, just relax and do something very simple. Think postive and you can do it, we all know that you can, we're all rooting for you to finish it you go friend and post pics. Better yet post a pic. and let us see it , we may be able to give you a hint on how to quilt it. Don't give up on it!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Don't give up on the quilt. Tie it, but have the ties on the back and have the little stitches on the front. They will be unobtrusive if you use matching yarn or pearl cotton. Tie the tails securely and cut them short so baby can't get its fingers caught in the ties and cut off the circulation to a little finger. The ties will go fast, you will have saved the quilt, and the recipient will love it. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Ty

I swear I would rather re-marry my ex than ever quilt anything again! (And that is SO not going to happen)

You are one funny lady. This cracked me up. Sorry the quilting didn't work out for you, but you made my day.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM

I learned to quilt on my own. I did watch my Mom a few times. But decided I can do this. Bought cheaters clothe and tried it. And I loved it. I have quilted for Quilts Unlimited in Williamsburg, Va. And also Cabin Creek Quilts in Malden, WV. I gave them up and make extra money by quilting for others. In between working construction jobs. I'm setting her right now working on a table runner. It's almost done on the quilting part.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Hope you found someone to quilt it for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

{HUG} This too shall pass. Tie it and be happy again. :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Yes, good idea. Tie it with yarn. It will probably look great. I tie a lot of my baby quilts.