Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not the same size >

Not the same size

Not the same size

Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Not the same size

I'm working on PP the arcs on my Judy Neimeyer quilt. Somehow one is torn and I lost the rest of it. So, I copied and printed one. The copied one is a good 1/2" smaller than the original. I'm going to have to use the pieces I rip off and tape them together. I didn't know my printed copy was that much different!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Check to see if you can enlarge your scan before you print it. Some printer/copiers have this capability. Might be under a tab or button labeled 'advanced'. Also, check to make sure the "Fit to Page" box is not checked. This may cause your scan to print on multiple pages that you will have to tape together.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Banned

Make sure your page scaling is turned off.

Cari
Old 06-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

You could contact the company and see if is possible to replace the one that was torn. Yes, there is a difference in scanning and printing. I was surprised when I printed some blocks off of EQ7 and found one side of the block the width of a pin larger when I was trimming the blocks.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Yep, the print scaling has to be turned off. To be that much difference in the copy it has to be a printer setting. I've made copies of a lot of her templates and never had a size difference.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM

When I needed a pattern a certain size and didn't want to fool around with the % for enlargement I took the pattern to an office supply store and told them the size I needed. I only paid for the correct copy. I did this before I made the pattern but made sure I kept a copy of the increased size for my 'just in case' backup.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:24 AM

For some reason my printer defaults to 80%. I have to make sure I change the setting to 100% each time I print a pattern. I've not had problems with the wrong sizes printing if I make the change. Maybe the solution is as simple as checking your printer default; frustrating to get the wrong size.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:13 AM

I have the same problem when I print on my laser printer. I contacted the manufacturer and they said that when the laser printer heats up this will happen. I have no problem when I print on an ink jet
Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 AM

You can purchase a page from your pattern from www.quiltworx.com. The cost is $2.00 per page....might be $2.50 per page.....but very reasonable.

You might also be able to purchase a page from your certified Judy Niemeyer instructor if there is one near you.....again check the web site for a list of certified instructors.

Hope this helps....I know how frustrating this can be.

Last edited by imsewnso; 06-04-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: adding
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Surely after taping the pieces together you have a pencil and paper to just draw another template. just be careful to line the pieces up and go from there. I've done it often Just trace around the template. Then make your necessary notations/markings. Doing this on a few layers of freezer paper for thickness works.
Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I'm working on PP the arcs on my Judy Neimeyer quilt. Somehow one is torn and I lost the rest of it. So, I copied and printed one. The copied one is a good 1/2" smaller than the original. I'm going to have to use the pieces I rip off and tape them together. I didn't know my printed copy was that much different!!!