Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not so subtle hint - what would you do? >

Not so subtle hint - what would you do?

Not so subtle hint - what would you do?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 AM

sounds to me that she was just "chit-chatting" and really not hinting. Just to be nice make her something like the bag since she said she would like one and one can never have too bags! (also they are cheaper than a quilt)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 AM

Thank you so much for all your answers. It feels almost like we were all sitting in my living room sipping coffee and chatting. Who says you cannot have friends on line! I make and gift my quilts to family. I am a mom of two who is fairly new to the area and I do not have the benefit of friends and family living close by. They are all in Canada. Time is the most precious commodity and finances are as tight as everybody's in this economy. I will make my friend a nice purse, I have a few go to patterns. I will invite her to my sewing room to see the process and I will take her to my LQS as an observer. I offered to teach her quilting but she was not thrilled. It is just not her cup of tea. Once again, thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 AM

If your skills are such that making a quilted bag looks as good - or better - than Vera Bradley, which is what I assume she was referring too, then by all means do it - IF THAT'S SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO. But if she's wanting a Vera Bradley, and you don't produce that quality of work, I suspect she won't be happy. A handbag becomes part of your wardrobe. It's hard enough to pick a handbag for someone else. I want pockets here and not there; a zipper, not a flap- that kind of thing. And if you make it and she doesn't carry it, then you'll be hurt. But a small tablerunner is a good idea. Then you can get an idea of whether you really want to tackle a king sized quilt for her - which from experience, I KNOW cost you at least $500.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Ughh.. I really don't like when people give hints of what they want. I feel like the friend was telling you she wanted you to make her a quilt.. I think I would ignore it, and make the quilt when you are ready, and on your own time.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM

Rachel, you should be in the diplomatic corps.

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
When my friend wanted a king size ...I did what QuiltnLady1 suggested and that was 5 months ago.......she still has yet to order the fabric. When they have to order the fabric and spend 150 for the fabric for the top it all of the sudden is a reality. The backing and batting hasn't even come into play. I'm going to teach her how but I refuse to do the shopping because she wont commit unless she's involved.
I have a friend who quilts and I have considered making her a quilt because no one has ever made her one and she makes quilts for everyone. First time I ever considered it but she truly has been a great friend!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM

It sounds like what she's telling you is that she would love to have a quilted bag made by you. It seems like she knows she can't afford to commission work from you, but if you are good friends, why not "gift" her a nice quilted bag. On the other hand, if your conversation with her made you feel like she was trying to take advantage of you, then you certainly shouldn't feel obligated to do work for her for free. Follow your heart and enjoy your craft!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM

Two cents, two cents, two cents. There are all levels of friendship. It would have to be a "from childhood, went thru life and death" type friend for a gift of a king size quilt. Not that I don't love my friends but it would have to be a very special friend. When requested, I might consider saying something along the lines of "I'd love to but LAQ are up to $$(pick a number)$$$ now and I just don't have that kind of money right now." And let it drop, think how surprised she will be if you do present her with a new bag!!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Do YOU want to make her a gift-? Just because, and not out of guilt or obligation? Then I'd suggest making her a bag, or perhaps a table runner.
Maybe offer to teach her how to sew, so that she can join you in your journey..............
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 AM

the quilted bag would be just fine since she talked of it also. friends should not make you feel guilty on things like this.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 AM

She said she has always wanted a quilted bag, so I'm sure she would be thrilled with one!