Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not Sure How To Quilt This

Not Sure How To Quilt This

This is my "Converging Streets" top that I finished during the last virtual quilting weekend. I am wondering if I should do an all over leaves and vines type of thing. I thought about apple core, but that does not seem to fit. I also thought about little cars, (considering what I named it), but there are thirty blocks and that seems like a chore. I hand quilt, with a hoop, so I can do just about anything I want.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Straight "roads" in the sashing... and maybe a circle "roundabout" in the blocks?

Boston, you do such nice work. I love this!
    I agree that apple cores won't cut it. Have you thought of big stitch to make it look like the lines in a road?

I really like your quilt. I too am a hand quilter. A clam shell design seems appropriate to me.

Blog Entries
    I’m sorry I cannot offer any suggestions...quilt design is always something I struggle with so I usually end up doing an all over meandering kind of look but since you have sashing, you definitely need something attractive there.

I just wanted to chime in that I love your quilt...it’s a great pattern and looks like a fun project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

A great quilt. I might do something curvy to soften all the straight lines??

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Straight "roads" in the sashing... and maybe a circle "roundabout" in the blocks?
    This was my first thought, as well..What I would do is first anchor the quilt with SID through the middle going horizontally and vertically. Then I'd do 2 close lines of straight quilting in the sashing about 1/4-1/2 in apart. You might even think of 3 lines instead of 2. It would make the sashing stand out as very crisp and ordered. In the blocks, it seems it needs some kind of round motif or an orange peel design to fill the block.

You could use a dark grey thread and big stitches down the center of the white sashings to look like lines down the middle of a two lane road (dashed lines on real streets are passing zones).

Even tho your quilt has "streets" in the name, it doesn't look like streets to me. I wouldn't try to make the sashing look like roads! I'm seeing some circular feather wreaths in each block, and then a winding vine with leaves along the sashings.

Very pretty top!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh--what about the white sashings as roads (center lines) with a few little cars thrown in and then "buildings' in the blocks? Some of the blocks could be done as parks, fountains, etc.

Blog Entries
    I think something circular or curvy, maybe some clamshells in the blocks and not sure about the sashing but keep that with lines
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I just wanted to say it's gorgeous and, if this quilt was mine, I would not want my quilting to outshine the piecing so I would probably do subtle design in sashing (sewbiz's idea is cool) and SITD blocks.
    Last edited by Teen; 04-16-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html