Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure I was ready for square half tirangles!

I just finished piecing my second quilt, queen size, in almost entirely SHT's and I had such a hard time getting all the points to match! There was a lot of ripping out and wondering "what was I thinking!" Are HST's hard for everyone or is it just me and my lack of experience? I do feel I learned a lot as I went along but it was frustrating and discouraging at times. Hope the quilting goes better. :-)

Have only been quilting 3 years but HST are still difficult for me. I've found Thangles very useful :thumbup:

Its like learning anything else its all takes time and
    pratice pratice pratice.

Quote Originally Posted by merry
    Have only been quilting 3 years but HST are still difficult for me. I've found Thangles very useful :thumbup:
    Showing my ignorance! What are thangles? I sure would like an easier way to do them.

Click on this link:
    http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

This will give you everything you need to make a ton of HST's that will be accurate. Notice the different sizes. Bookmark that page so you can go back whenever. Just follow the directions on the size you chose on how to sew and cut. Never worry again about matching up the ends. Promise :-)

This is just another version for Thangles, except you get a ton more in just one setting.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyd
    I just finished piecing my second quilt, queen size, in almost entirely SHT's and I had such a hard time getting all the points to match! There was a lot of ripping out and wondering "what was I thinking!" Are HST's hard for everyone or is it just me and my lack of experience? I do feel I learned a lot as I went along but it was frustrating and discouraging at times. Hope the quilting goes better. :-)
    Correction: I typed my terms in wrong order, meant half square triangles, HST.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Click on this link:

This will give you everything you need to make a ton of HST's that will be accurate. Notice the different sizes. Bookmark that page so you can go back whenever. Just follow the directions on the size you chose on how to sew and cut. Never worry again about matching up the ends. Promise :-)
    Thanks so much. Wish I'd known this sooner but I'm learning.

Banned
    i prefer to cut squares larger and when have HST and quarter square triangles to then cut them to size.

Correction: I typed my terms in wrong order, meant half square triangles, HST.
    Knew what you meant! ;-)

Blog Entries
    Knowing HST have always been a struggle for me (no matter how accurately I cut and sew) I decided to get the June Tailor HST ruler and now my HST's are perfect!!!!!! It takes a little more time but well worth it.

Here's a link: http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...les-ruler.aspx

Click on this link:

Thank you for this website - I've always done mine this way and yes they come out perfect- but I've always hand drawn all of this. Great to find it done already!!! and in differenct sizes.

We've all been there.:) Like Holice, I prefer to cut my squares bigger then
    square up. Instead of the usual 7/8" I cut 1" bigger.

Blog Entries
    Here is my method of making HSTs.

Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

Also:
    My tips for making HST's and not losing the points
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kim_s
    ....I decided to get the June Tailor HST ruler and now my HST's are perfect!!!!!! It takes a little more time but well worth it.

Here's a link: http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...les-ruler.aspx
    This is the best tool I have! I use it all the time. Even use it to size up flying geese.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    i prefer to cut squares larger and when have HST and quarter square triangles to then cut them to size.
    Hi, I'm not sure what you mean.. doesn't this method cut off the points?
    Thanks
    Sandi
    Great info from everyone on this topic!

I prefer to cut 2 squares one inch larger than the finished size I need, mark a diagonal on the back of the lighter fabric and sew a scant 1/4" from the line. Cut, press & trim to size. I do the same for QST's only those squares are cut 1.25" bigger. Even if I have to make more than I need it is still easier & more accurate for me. And Starch, Starch, Starch! That is the best tip for any bias cuts--triangles, diamonds, parallelograms, kites & circles.

Sometimes cutting the points off makes it easier. Another reason I prefer my method. The points (dog ears some people call them) get cut off during trimming.

Go to Thangles.com & you can see what they look like. Using them has opened the door to making HST perfectly & easily. Now I look forward to making a block instead of anxious about how it will turn out.

that's very helpful. I will try it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I prefer to cut 2 squares one inch larger than the finished size I need, mark a diagonal on the back of the lighter fabric and sew a scant 1/4" from the line. Cut, press & trim to size. I do the same for QST's only those squares are cut 1.25" bigger. Even if I have to make more than I need it is still easier & more accurate for me. And Starch, Starch, Starch! That is the best tip for any bias cuts--triangles, diamonds, parallelograms, kites & circles.

Sometimes cutting the points off makes it easier. Another reason I prefer my method. The points (dog ears some people call them) get cut off during trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Here is my method of making HSTs.

Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

Also:
    My tips for making HST's and not losing the points
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm
    Your tutorials and pictures are fantastic! I certainly can see where I could have done much better and been less frustrated. Thanks for all the excellent advice.

There is another way to do this. for example:

for a finished HST of 8 1/2" (this includes seam allowance.) add 1 1/4" to size of a square block ( I prefer using 1 1/2") I would make a square block 10"

I draw a pencil line on the wrong side of the fabric one corner to the other

Place both fabrice right sides together

sew 1/4" away from each side of the pencil line.( I also mark a line 1/4" away from the center line, I find it easier to sew on a guide line) Fons and Porter have a 1/4" ruler that will make eaiser to mark these lines it makes it easier to mark the lines with out making a mistake

rotary cut on the CENTER!!! pencil line. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

then take a 8 1/2" square ruler (like the June tailor)

place the center of the ruler in the center of the unfinished block. Most rulers will have a line running down then from one corner to the other this helps center the ruler down the seam of the sewn HST.

rotary cut around the outside of the ruler on all four sides.

I Press the seams open.

There you have it!!

This will give you two finished HST'S

I am sorry if I did not explain it well.

Chris

Jump and correct any errors I may have made

Click on this link:

I watched a Fons & Porter show where they were using this paper. It appeared on the show that it was available to buy from them. Glad to learn about this link...will save on buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
    There is another way to do this. for example:

for a finished HST of 8 1/2" (this includes seam allowance.) add 1 1/4" to size of a square block ( I prefer using 1 1/2") I would make a square block 10"

I draw a pencil line on the wrong side of the fabric one corner to the other

Place both fabrice right sides together

sew 1/4" away from each side of the pencil line.( I also mark a line 1/4" away from the center line, I find it easier to sew on a guide line) Fons and Porter have a 1/4" ruler that will make eaiser to mark these lines it makes it easier to mark the lines with out making a mistake

rotary cut on the CENTER!!! pencil line. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

then take a 8 1/2" square ruler (like the June tailor)

place the center of the ruler in the center of the unfinished block. Most rulers will have a line running down then from one corner to the other this helps center the ruler down the seam of the sewn HST.

rotary cut around the outside of the ruler on all four sides.

I Press the seams open.

There you have it!!

This will give you two finished HST'S

I am sorry if I did not explain it well.

Chris

Jump and correct any errors I may have made
    Great instructions! All the help I've gotten from this fantastic board almost make me want to try more HST's, after swearing "never again". I was doing it the hard and wrong way for sure! :oops:

Blog Entries
    It is all about gaining experience. You have now learned what not to do! LOL I know you will find a way to make them that suits you and it will all be easy from now on out! HSTs aren't hard! Paying attention to accuracy when you cut and when you join them together is the key to getting good looking HSTs. Always make sure you have a 1/4" seam allowance at the edge when you join two together. If you don't you will lose your points every time!

When I lay one HST face down on another I always make sure they are square and they match each other. If one is bigger or off to the side from the other one then you will have a crooked set of HSTs when you have sewn them together.

Here's another thread about HST's. Many possibilities.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115548-1.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast