Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
not wanting to see computer patterns any more.  I miss facric showcasing design >

not wanting to see computer patterns any more. I miss facric showcasing design

not wanting to see computer patterns any more. I miss facric showcasing design

Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
Default not wanting to see computer patterns any more. I miss facric showcasing design

Former draftsman..designer that used computer aided design software for 20 plus years for engineering projects. So happy "you" have designed a block. Sew it with fabric to showcase the idea. I bought a book online full of computer designed blocks. Took it to 1/2 price book store to get some mony back. Was so upset wished i had a fire place to burn it.

Felt like a rip of :0(
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 AM

This is why I do not buy books full of patterns there may be one or two that I like and nothing else. Take this as a lesson learned.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Totally agree - if I can't see how it looks when done, don't want it. Pattern books - patterns have gotten so high - hard to find one less than $8 - if I find a book for under $20 that has at least 3 patterns I'll use - then I'll get it. I don't have many - for a while I followed the "there are so many free patterns out there why would I ever buy one" way of thinking. When I do bring a book or magazine home I try to put a sticky note on the pages of those I want to try. Course now I'll have to live to be 150 to have a chance to try all I've marked!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Agree about computer patterns. I go to used book stores and find older quilt books. It is easy enough to update with material
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

I like the 'crispness' of the patterns on my EQ7 (computer quilt design software), but I still don't know exactly how it's going to look until I put the actual fabric together with my machine. It even looks different stitched together than when it is pinned to my design wall.
But I do find it helpful to be able to change things around and 'play' with the design before cutting the fabric or taking the first stitch. Saves lots of unsewing! There's enough of that anyway!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 AM

I try to check out quilting books from the library, because of the fact there are so many patterns I would never make. The price from the library is perfect...free!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

It's easy to tell by looking through a book if it is what you like or not before you buy it. If I buy online I read all the reviews. The best reviews are on quilting blogs and this board. Connecting Threads has previews of all the quilts in the books sold there. I buy quilt books for the construction method or new use of rulers not so much for patterns. I love EQ 7. I can draft any quilt block pattern from a picture of a quilt. Anyone can construct a quilt using computer software. The new software is so easy to use. Have you seen the kid's design software programs out now? Amazing. Start with the basic birdhouse and go to elaborate forts and tree houses to space stations. LOL.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 PM

I have many, many quilt books and magazines. Love looking thru them while watching TV at night. When I bought a book, it was for probably one or two of the patterns in it. But I continue looking at them once in a while and I see new quilts and ideas from them. Some that I didn't care as much for then, I love now. And I see patterns that are "new" in magazines from the 80's and 90's. Old things ARE new again!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM

The hard thing about the fabric being the showcase is, That a lot of times, by the time we see the patterns with a particular fabric, The fabric is already very hard to find. Or impossible.

I love looking at all the book and magazines. But, one can have too much inspiration. I agree with "JanTx", I will have to live a very long time to try at all the things that have inspired me.

Sorry your book was a dud.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM

I first try to check out the quilting books from the library before I purchase. Then I can decide if it is worth purchasing.