Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Noticed at WalMart today >
  • Noticed at WalMart today

• Noticed at WalMart today

Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM

When I was at WalMart today I made my normal pass through the fabric department and down the notions/sewing machine aisle.
    As I mentioned last month they had a bunch of the JT shape cutters and other quilting accessories on sale. I picked up a shape cutter and managed to get a group of circle shape templates.
    While I was there today I noticed now they have taken to selling only squares, rulers and a limited number of cutting mat sizes all from Fiskas. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this at their stores. Not that it is a bad thing if they weren't selling the other stuff.
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Yes I noticed it at ours too..No June Trailor stuff only Fiskars. I had purchased June's mat there on clearance for 7.00 about two weeks ago...They are also taking out alot of the prepackaged fabric also. We do have good bet of fabric on bolts...YEAH Of course we have NO where else in town to buy sewing stuff, so we never lost the fabric...
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Ours too! The fiskars seems to be more reasonably priced and more choices.
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

I bought most of the June Taylor mats and rulers when they were marked down. I got the cut and iron mat for $9 each! I bought all on the shelf, all three. I bought the ruler sets and all the single rulers and the big 6 1/2" x 24" rulers were marked down to $4. I have enough guild door prizes and sale table items to last all next year.
    Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM

When they had all the extra stuff on sale I bought what I could but wish I had had more money. I would have loved to have picked up a couple more mats and a few of the different shape templates that were on sale. I noticed to they seem to be getting rid of the precuts, jelly rolls, and fat quarters to. The selection of bolt fabric is still good. I am glad though the choice of thread is getting better. For awhile there you could barely pick up a spool of anything. I guess the new fabric dept. looks like it is still a work in progress because they had baskets of stuff that they were marking with clearance tags.
    Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM

After renovating our store and increasing the food section, our fabric area was majorly downsized but still carried about 1/2 of the original amount of bolt fabrics. Tuesday, our fabric department lady said that our store is planning to bring back more fabrics and things that were discontinued during the downsizing. Yay!!!
    Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Did y'all know that each year sellers trek to Bentonville to compete to get their products in Wal-Mart's stores? Yep, sure do. That is one way Wal-Mart keeps the prices competitive.
    Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM

I didn't know that they trek to WalMart headquarters, but I do know that competition is stiff for most shelf space in all stores. Yes it takes a lot to get a little bit of that space. My former boss owned just a small mom and pop, amazing what the distributors will give or do to put a new product in your store.
    Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Don't know where you live, but our 2 local Super Sized WalMarts has gotten rid of this dept. but becuas eof consumer pressure they are bringing it back, but the one that has done so already, never had the mats,m etc. to purchase, but tghey did have a small selection of FQ's with coordinating jelly rolls for $7.00 and they are starting to carry a decent selection of fabrics, that I noticed was already in Joann's, but for much more money. Batiks, is something they do not have, and the fabrics for qujilting is qujite limited, and according to the lady in that dept. the WalMart headquarters feel that people living in South Florida aren't into quilting, knitting or crocheting. We only have Joann's besaides WalMart, but I have bouth fabirc from them and when I got home and inspected it, I noticed some discoloration and flas, so I brought it back. One piece of 3 yards had bleach stains on it. So much for supposedly 1st quality fabric.