Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Notions and tools - what to buy??? >

Notions and tools - what to buy???

Notions and tools - what to buy???

Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 PM

I live quite far away from any quilting stores. I am going to Great Falls and want to pick up any that I will need for quilting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also titles of books. I already know that i want the one by Jane Krenz-Hunter star.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Rulers- all shapes, sizes and lenghts
marking pens/pencils
basting spray
pellon
steam a seam
seam ripper or two - just in case an elf walks off with the first one
extra pins and magnetic holder
magnet wand - to pick up the pins off the floor
Gingher snippits
Gingher scissors
Best press- I recommend the lavender..

that's all i got for now..
Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Rules are all good, but get expensive, have a good 6x18"(one you can read markings well),
a good cutting board (self healing),
a good rotary cutter (I love Gingher also, very long lasting blades, you'll save in buying blades over time..but one that works for your hand, wrist, if you have little ones, one that self closes is nice & locks. If you have arthritis, there are ergonomic ones)
Pins, that you can see, thin, long, easy to grab
Safety pins, curved if you plan to pin baste & the tool to help, even the pin covers are nice, ask they can help you.
some like to spray baste even with pinning or stitch basting.
The books, look for beginner quilts, the harder ones could frustrate you and you stop quilting. Build up. Then get the rulers according to the quilts you want to make. Ask for help.
Good lighting, good thread, quality fabric will help you not get frustrated. Working machine you know how to use.
A walking foot is nice if your investing in a new machine or get one for what you have.
1/4" foot or seam guides are nice to keep your seams accurate.
Square up ruler, square up blocks each one, so your end quilt will be also square.
Little snips scissors at machine
I love the Frixion pen by Pilot, at a Staples store, they disappear with iron heat. They have pencils and markers, but I really like this one best. 3 colors.
Depends upon the technique of quilting your starting... there are tools that help each block design. 1/4" ruler, paper piecing, log cabin rulers, etc.
Also a stilleto to push fabric under the needle without catching your finger, even that needle arm coming down gets ya.
Most of what you'll get quilting, you continue to add as you grow & learn & try new things. Always ask, here you get many opinions.. at a store, you'll get what they want to sell you (everything). Shop around, pins at Walmart or JoAnns are just as good as a quilt shop. Invest in good tools, especially rotary. A nice iron is important also.
Always jump in...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

oh yea, I forgot a rotary cutter and extra good blades.. Good call on that one..
Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 AM

regarding readable rulers - I love the frosted ones I've gotten lately - make it much easier to read markings on prints.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 AM

I find books by Eleanor Burns very easy to follow. If she has any patterns you like, you might want to try one. Her Trip Around the World could be a good beginner quilt.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 AM

I think they have covered my list of notions, the only one that I would add is a small cutting board that has the iron pad on the back, it saves having to get up and down when pressing seams (alot of back and forth to the ironing board), plus the other side works well for rotary trimming (I don't use it to do the actually rotary cutting, but do for making my trims.)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 AM

Check an auto parts store or appliance parts store for things like magnet wand, also small screw drivers.
Less expensive, in fact a local appliance store gives them away.
Look at other business for some suppplies like rulers.
Manicure sissors work for snipping threads. Cuticle pushers work for holding small seams when sewing.
Call me frugle or cheap. I like thrifty.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

The best glass head straight pins are worth the cost. Clover brand pins are excellent. I love the flower head pins the best. Don't buy cheap pins.

The biggest cutting mat you have room for and a rotating mat.

A sharp seam ripper. Not the $1 one. I like Clover and Fons and Porter for general use and most quilt shops have them. Buy two.

Anita Solomon Grossman's book Rotary Cutting Revolution.

June Taylor Shape Cut ruler.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 AM

More votes for the Gingher rotary cutter, Shape Cut Rulers, seam ripper (I like my Gingher), large cutting mat, basting spray and flower head pins. Those are the quilting items I use every time.

I also starch my fabric, but prefer regular sizing from the grocery store to Best Press.