Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now it has  happened  and I don't want it! >

Now it has happened and I don't want it!

Now it has happened and I don't want it!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

I always tell them to get what they need and bring it over and we can have a sew day and I will help to show them what to do startig with the cutting. So far if they have to do it they arent that interested and never ask again. We are still friends she just doesn't bring it any more and I don't question her why she doesn't want to sew with me? Ravonda
Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I agree with KATHY N's remark: "I have 30,000 quilts in mind that I would love to do for myself!!!!"

I figure I only need to live about another 437 years, approximately, to get around to all the designs I've seen that I'd like to make, just on this website! tee hee
Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM

The best way to put people off is to mention an amount of money...."I usually charge $500 to custom quilt a finished top, and $400 to make it, as it usually takes 3 weeks to make one.However, because you are such a good friend, I could do it for you for only $700...." (They usually drop - off at this point).
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM

When people want me to quilt, hem, or sew anything I tell them I will teach them, like Leota said. We have quilting group at church. I offer to teach anyone who wants to learn. It takes care of the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

Just simply tell them that you will put their project on your list of things to do. Then tell them that you might get to it around 2020 if all goes according to schedule. LOL
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
Sounds like some folks I know!

Just go on and tell them you will be glad to do their quilts WHEN you have the time. Also, tell them that THEY have to go with you to purchase the material, the thread, and that there is no way you could possibly do the quilting yourself. Find 3 quotes for long-armers. Go with the highest as she/he will be the best. Don't forget to add the $15 per hour of your time and that your machine will need to be serviced and cleaned before and after doing their quilt. By now you will be into the many hundreds of dollars. Chances are, you won't be forced to do the quilt! This has actually worked for me...I only do quilts I want to do, when I want to do them.
LOL, BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P :P :lol: :lol:
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM

I loved your answer to her problem! Absolutely correct. I, too, have had people want me to make them a quilt but don"t want to pay over $50. They simply do not understand the cost of everything involved.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Is this a common problem, does ever quilter have people asking or should I say expecting that we are going to stop everything we are doing or want to do to get theirs done? Money doesn't even factor into this for me, because I am not interested enough to even discuss doing this, let alone the money part of it.I guess I had better get good at saying "NO" Thank you! Gues I didnt expect this part of quilting! I would never have the nerve to ask.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

My neaghbor wants me to make a quilt for her, I told her she would have to buy fabric,batting, thread, the book, and depending on what the quilt pattern was, that quilts cost a lot to make, and it hurts me to sew, so I would not do it for cheap, I told her I am teaching myself to quilt, so they are not perfect and I could not do it this year at all. I think I am going to have to make it, and then she turned right back around and asked me to sew her pot holders, she said she just burned hers up, and said you could make those for me now can't you. I just got my grandsons jean quilt done, and have one week to get my sons done. I told her I just don't have time. her replie was, that it would not take you long, I told her I have to get these quilts done. She just seams to not listen, and really thinks I am going to do these thins for her. thank you for letting me vent. God bless.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by penny doty
My neaghbor wants me to make a quilt for her, I told her she would have to buy fabric,batting, thread, the book, and depending on what the quilt pattern was, that quilts cost a lot to make, and it hurts me to sew, so I would not do it for cheap, I told her I am teaching myself to quilt, so they are not perfect and I could not do it this year at all. I think I am going to have to make it, and then she turned right back around and asked me to sew her pot holders, she said she just burned hers up, and said you could make those for me now can't you. I just got my grandsons jean quilt done, and have one week to get my sons done. I told her I just don't have time. her replie was, that it would not take you long, I told her I have to get these quilts done. She just seams to not listen, and really thinks I am going to do these thins for her. thank you for letting me vent. God bless.

Walmart sells nice ones for not much money.

Tell her you want $15 each, because they are custom made and take x amount of time to make.