Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Now Here's a Thought ...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: ......Of all the things.....Vodka and vinegar.... I know I haven't bought glass cleaner in 15 years....I make my own....even add a drop of blue food color to make everyone think it's the other stuff.....mostly water, rubbing alcohol and a little bit of ammonia works for me....I use a lot of lemon, vinegar,ammonia, baking soda and rubbing alcohol.....best cleaners....

White vinegar in your rinse cycle will soften the clothes without the perfumes or expensive dryer sheets, too.

And sprayed or dripped onto the roots of weeds, poison ivy, or any where there's something growing you don't want...........it kills it. But be careful where and how you spray it or the yard may end up dust.

I did try the vinegar for bug bites, can't do that with the diverticulitis anymore, but I do keep a bottle of vinegar water to spritz on when I'm going in the yard. Helps with misquitoes and chiggers but not so much with spiders.

The first time you clean your iron with white vinegar, I would use it straight, no water. Let it boil in there, highest setting. Then 50/50, I've found I keep my iron much cleaner and don't get the spits and sputters anymore. We have hard water here on the coast, too.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

Vinegar will restore the black in my clothes? I have so many pairs of pants that are graying - so how do I do it - just add a cup or so to the wash? Soak in a tub?

Thank you so much for sharing this great idea, Patrice. The only things I have ever used vinegar for is to clean the streaks off my glass stove top, clean my coffee pot, and dye easter eggs. I can only imagine what I am going to find in my iron!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
    Never thought about putting it into the iron. I'm not sure how DH will react the first time he reaches for the iron and the smell comes out. :lol:
    I am so impressed that your husband irons!!

This really works! Done it for years. Swallow 1 tablespoon of vinegar for leg cramps. They go away instantly. DH has asthma and gets cramps in his chest from coughing he tried it at poof gone.

That's a great tip! :thumbup: :thumbup:

there was just an article this a.m. in the news paper about vinegar:

if there are hard water stains on your glasswear, boil vinegar, pour over glasswear, and scrub with non-scratching pad. it's supposed to work.

i also used it to clean out and freshen my cats boxes. they weren't crazy about it, but they got over it.

isn't vinegar the product of wine or wine grapes that have been sitting around too long?

I use it to clean my coffee maker and also I pour it in the wash when I do my husbands work clothes. He's a mechanic and they can smell pretty nasty and its hard to get the smell out. But the vinegar really helps. I'm going to try in my iron. Another great tip!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I think I need to add vinegar to my grocery list. I have just a little left in the bottom of the gallon jug but with all of these ideas I need more.

Thanks.

Cool! I live in the country, we have well water with gunk in it sometimes. What kind of Vinegar? White or Apple Cider Vinegar? I "CAN" in the summer so I have lots of different kinds of vinegar!

It also works wonders on laminate flooring by the way.

WELL DUH I cannot read........nevermind on the what kind of vinegar..... head

Works great to remove pet smells when they have accidents. I put white vinegar in my mop water and clean all my floors with it. Makes them clean and shiny. Works on wood, laminate and tile.

These are all great ideas! My DD is pregnant and has a sore throat and gets leg cramps. I just emailed her to try swallowing a tablespoon.

I have vinegar water in the garage in a spray bottle. Not long ago we found a big possum behind the dryer and he would not go out the door. Bit the broom handle and everything. I finally grabbed the squirt bottle and soaked him. He took off like he was on fire!

So vinegar gets rid of rodents too, I guess!

Thanks Patrice - I leave the water in my iron too, so can't wait to switch.
    My Mom & StepDad were both smokers (not me tho'), but the house & cars never seemed to smell like cigarettes to me, so I asked Mom once - she said that she would take a towel/rag soaked in vinegar & wipe everything down with it - walls, upholstery & all.
    Vinegar truly is an amazing thing!

All good tips...but just remember that vinegar is an acid, and therefore you want to be careful using it on fabrics. Over time the acid will degrade the fabric and your quilts will not last as long.

Blog Entries
    have you read that somewhere are are you just guessing/assuming?

Vinegar is the common name for acetic acid (I am a chemist). It is a weak acid, which is why it is a good cleaner, however it will do damage to fabrics in the long run. (same reason you don't want to use sharpies to write on fabric as they have acids in them, or need to buy acid free papers to store things in)

I just wanted everyone to know this before they go and spray vinegar on their fabrics. It would be fine to clean out your iron with, but I would wash it out with water before I pressed fabric with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Blog Entries
    how long is "the long run"?

i'm not, by habit, a prewasher. if i do, it usually isn't until i'm ready to use it. as soon as a quilt is done, it goes into the washer. i wash my clothes as soon as they can stand up by themselves in a corner.

:mrgreen:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2