Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without...... >

Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Default Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

I hesitated for years about buying Roxanne's Glue Baste-It in the EZ Squeeze tube. After all, I had Elmer's washable white school glue on hand and it worked pretty well. Finally, after several years, I splurged and bought it:
https://www.amazon.com/Roxanne-Glue-...dp/B0089O3696/

It sat unused for awhile. At that price, it was like the "special" gifts that get put away in drawers for years because they're too good to use. Now, however, I'm working on a quilt that requires precise piecing and I decided to try it. Wow! What a difference! It really is easy, and I have absolute control over glue placement (and can get tiny dribbles).

The other tool I thought was pricey when I purchased was the Slidelock ruler:
http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/purchase/
I splurged on the 3-piece set and use them all the time. I could live without the flat ruler, but I use both sizes of the gripping ruler almost every time I have anything to cut. Aside from helping me cut straighter by holding everything in place, I consider them insurance against a visit to the emergency room because they keep my ruler hand safe.

I should start another thread about tools that were extravagant and did not work out -- such as the large, plastic Martelli machine binding tool collecting dust in a box near my desk. Looked great when I saw it demo'd at a quilt show. I see they don't sell it on their website anymore. That's undoubtedly a good thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

My first rotary cutter was $13. At the time I was making about $4.25 an hour. For me, that was a lot. I have used it for many years and would not give it up.

Also, my EQ5. I did not have to pay for this, as my sister gave it to me one year. Another item, I use all the time.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I finish my binding by hand. I thought those little binding clips were silly, because I could hold the binding just fine without them. Then I tried them, and OMG, I love them. Binding is so much easier now, and my hands don't get as tired.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Three in particular come to mind .....

Square Up Rulers .......
I won a 22" one in the first Shop Hop that I went on. I wasn't thrilled in the least and wished that I had won something else. To say the least, once I got using it and saw how fantastic it was, I had to have more. Gradually added to the collection and now probably have them all ... from 2-1/2" right on up to that big 22" one. More than worth the investments! Thank you First Shop Hop!

Best Press .......
During another Shop Hop I got a sample size. It sat for well over a year, maybe two, before I gave it a try. Why was I scared of it? Alas! I tried it and .... well, let's say we became very good friends instantly ..... and I now buy it by the gallon!

Oliso Iron .......
Whenever anyone talked highly about them, to me they seemed totally frivolous, over-the-top and non-necessary to me. My iron died and I started looking around and doing my research. I had loyalty bucks at the shop where I buy my machines. They "sold" me on it, but TBH the only reason I was sold on it was that it meant no cold hard cash to spend as I had more than enough fun $. Yup, you figured it out, once I got using it, I became a huge fan ..... and guess what? my shoulder has given me few problems ever since. While my Chiropractor doesn't get to see me as often, she agrees it was a good move and has now recommended it to some of her quilty patients!

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-16-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Two items:

Wonder Clips.... When I started to sew binding by machine, these were a time saver and kept everything precise. Had them for a year before a I opened the bag.

Staletto.... I bought one when I first started quilting because Ms. Burns recommended it (lol) over 2 years ago. It sat next to my machine until about 4 mos ago and i decided to try it when sewing Mini's or tiny piecing. Good grief....works awesome and I can get my big fat fingers out of the way. Realized that, without it, I was guiding my fabric wonky under the needle because I was trying to control it and not let the feed dogs guide it. I use it to sew binding on too. Love it!

BTW...been using Roxanne glue baste when appliquing since the beginning and would not attempt any other stuff. Love it...
Old 04-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Accuquilt Go Big--figured rotary cutting would be enough but my shoulder started telling me otherwise plus I wasn't very accurate.

A nice computerized machine that has needle up/down, etc When I first started quilting in 2010 I was using my incredibly heavy Deluxe mechanical machine. Since I was going to classes I broke down and bought a $90 Brother from Walmart that was very light weight and worked fine for classes. Then i went to a major show and very timidly bought the Elna Quilt Pro Queen--I love it and don't regret the purchase.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

My Bernina ruler foot and rulers. They were quite pricey but I love them!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 PM

Deb Tucker's trim-down rulers. I bought the first one at a show and it sat in a box for over a year. No idea why I waited so long. Now I have all but 1 and use them constantly.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 PM

I am not sure if this counts.

I used whatever pins I had on hand for years. Truth be told some were from my grandmother's sewing basket and she died in 1982. I had bought cheap pins with coloured heads. Then I bought $$$ quilting pins. I kept them aside, as I did not want to get them mixed up. Then I started using them and finally I tossed all the old ones. There was no comparison.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 AM

Mine was an Oliso iron also. Got it as a last ditch effort to stay in quilting after a pit bull got a hold of some of my fingers. Weight of other irons was already somewhat of an issue (due to arthritis) and then being able to safely grip a super hot iron ---so I sprang for it. Never, never have to stop to rest my wrist or uncramp my fingers. So I'm still quilting!