Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without...... >

Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 AM

My 17" OLFA rotating cutting mat.
I've been quilting for 20 years and putting myself at risk with odd, somewhat dangerous hand positions with my rotary cutter. I recently bought the rotating mat for a workshop where we cut lots of fan blades and it sure came in handy.
I love it.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I did second think about my Go when it came available to buy. It was so new then I had to be on a preorder list. I would replace it in a minute if it broke. I bought the Quilter's Slidelock when it was only available in Australia under another name. I bought a Quilter's Select ruler to try and it is the best ruler I have ever used. I now have the QS mat, and all sizes of the rulers. I buy Creative Grid brand when I need a specialty ruler. The Martelli round rotating mat has been wonderful to have.

Honestly I have never found a notion or ruler that I thought was extravagant. I buy new ones all the time to try out. How can you tell if they are something that you will love using if you don't try them?

When I started quilting it was after both my kids graduated from college. Nothing I could have or do buy for quilting would be as expensive as two girls in college at the same time. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-17-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 AM

I've spent a lot of money on all kinds of different rulers, both for cutting and for machine quilting. And I usually only use the same couple rulers.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
My 17" OLFA rotating cutting mat.
I've been quilting for 20 years and putting myself at risk with odd, somewhat dangerous hand positions with my rotary cutter. I recently bought the rotating mat for a workshop where we cut lots of fan blades and it sure came in handy.
I love it.
I don’t know what brand my rotating mat is, but it’s in the pile for our next yard sale. It has a lot of give in the middle, which means that cuts get all wonky, and I hate using it. Is the OLFA mat solid (well supported) all the way across the middle?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
SLIDELOCK RULER They may seem expensive but less expensive than a trip to the ER! Absolutely could not get along without the two I own. The 14" and the 24" lighted edge are the ones I've had for several years now. I have a healthy fear of rotary cutting, after reading several mishap posts on this board. The Slidelock keeps your hand/fingers away from that cutting edge. http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/purchase/
I am with you 100% I love my slide lock rulers and use them all the time. Well worth the expense. I have both sizes too. I also love my creative grid 8 1/2" by 24" ruler.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 AM

I also love wonder clips, I rarely use pins any more, and the Martelli rotating mat is wonderful.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hray View Post
I don’t know what brand my rotating mat is, but it’s in the pile for our next yard sale. It has a lot of give in the middle, which means that cuts get all wonky, and I hate using it. Is the OLFA mat solid (well supported) all the way across the middle?
So far, I haven't seen the merits in a rotating mat.
Instead, I lay a smaller cutting mat overtop of my regular large one.
Cut, then turn the mat with everything on it.

Maybe someone else will enlighten me as to the "need" for a rotating one vs. what I am doing?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Rotating mats are great if you do a lot of smaller cutting. I find most of my cutting is yardage and I need a larger spot to cut. I have a large mat on a kitchen island on wheels. I either walk around it or rotate the island.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I have the Olfa, Fiskars, and Elna rotating mats. They can't compare to the Martelli 16" big round one. I'm not a fan of Martelli products but do like the rotating mat. It will last me my lifetime. I think the Matilda's Own Rotary mat is very good from the reviews it has. I haven't used one of those. I see Matilda's 15" is on a sale at Craftsy now. $49, reg $75.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM

I don't regret a dime spent on my Accuquilt Studio and Dies. Best quilting investment I have ever made. Most regretted investment was a Longarm, just not my cup of tee.