Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Now what? Help please!

Blog Entries
    I agree with joyce888!
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    The quilting is fantastic and I think the vines idea is perfect.

Thank you all so very much for the wonderful compliments and great ideas! This is such a great group of people, I love this board!

@Treasurereit and Tartan: I do it the hard way. I draw the lines from the template on paper, draw the whole design with a black line and trace that on the fabric with a silver pencil. I can do that because there are no seams so the lines are visible. I do have blocks with lots of seams and I think I will use WSS on top of the fabric. I'm not very fond of using WSS though as I don't want to wash it out but I don't have a lightbox yet.

@clsurz: thanks a lot for the link to facebook. I never heard of a MOD Quilt Quild, I'm going to check it out!
    Eat, quilt, bike, sleep and repeat

Blog Entries
    Beautiful feathers. Anxious to see the finished quilt.

Blog Entries

This is what I was thinking...

Those feathers are beautiful!!! I know how scary it is though to free hand with nothing to look at...I think going around the flowers is what I would do. : D. Liz

My first thought was, if I could do feathers like those I wouldn't care what I put in the rest of the blocks! Have you been quilting long? What kind of machine are you using? Sorry I have only questions and no answers! What you've done is simply lovely!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Wow.....you did a beautiful job so far. Can you send me a pm with what kind of marking pen you used with the templates? I can't ever find posts again after I respond.
    Quilting Angel

@wishfulthinking: No, I've been quilting for under 2 years and doing FMQ for about 1 1/2 years now. I'm using either my Bernina 440 QE or Brother Innov-ís 1500D. It's ok to ask, most of the time I don't have answers to questions either LOL. I'm doing ok with FMQ as long as I can use templates or just simple stipling or meandering with curls, stars, leaves and flowers. When it comes to feathers I'm lost! Somehow I can't get it right, I should practice more I guess.

@Quilting Angel: I sent you a PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    outlining the flowers is a great idea! love what you've done so far
    I agree, quilting around the flowers would really work (your templete is already there!). Beautiful work!
    Love 4 stchen

Beautiful quilting!

Wow! For somebody who is just practicing, you're doing great!!! They are ALL absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm totally impressed! I don't have any suggestions for the blue part, since I don't do FMQ, but no matter what you do, I'd say it's going to be beautiful!

Your feathers are wonderful! I like the idea of outlining the flowers and connecting them with vines and leaves. Your quilt will be beautiful!
    Mama Lyn - Overland Park, KS

Blog Entries
    I would stipple around the flowers on the blue to make them stand out.

Beautiful work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I get so confused, when you say you were practicing your FMQ do you mean that you actually FREE MOTION QUILTED those designs? Or did you use a stencil, patterns, etc?

Anything you do in that blue will be LOST...BUT you have to get the same amount of stitching to keep the piece from puffing! I would use a contrasting thread and shadow the designs in the fabric!

I really can't give you any advice on what kind of quilting to do with the blue, but your quilting in the white is great, so I don't know why you're saying that your feathers aren't all that good. They look great, I'm lucky if I can do a basic meander. LOL

Blog Entries
    Dear ArtsyOne,

Your member photo is so fascinating! The bright colors draw me to your posts every time. Can you tell us a little about the pattern and what size the quilt is?
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

You FMQ feathers are lovely! I am confised. Is this a quilt as you go quilt?. Or did you just quilt each block with batting and backing and then will sew together? I am courious as to if this a new method of quiltiung and putting blocks together.

Blog Entries
    I love your quilting. Your feathers are wonderful. I wish I could do that good.

That is just beautiful...I know that I've seen templates for the vines if you really feel that your free motion isn't good enough...but, it won't show as much and I think it will be just fine.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Beautiful quilting-really inspiring.
    Liz Fairlie

Blog Entries
    Very nice work and I love the blue. J J

Thanks so very much for your compliments!

To answer some of the questions: this is a QAYG, the sashing will be 1/2" finished.
    I used templates for the feather quilting, it's not free hand! I wish it were. I can do vines, leaves, stars, flowers but no feathers. I'm practicing on them but they don't look good yet. I have been quilting around the flowers in the blue and it looks good so I think I will leave it that way. I still have to quilt the outer borders of the blocks, maybe meandering.

Wow! Your work is beautiful!

You done a fantastic job on these. You should be able to do the feathers. Just have faith in yourself. Go for it girl.

Not too good? They look awesome. I'd say keep going. they ill be less pronounced on the print then on the white any ways. You have the hardest part behind you. Please post pictures when you are done.
    Anna Quilts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast