Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now What? >

Now What?

Now What?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
I'm in a bit of a funk, and I don't know what to make next. I'm almost done with a baby quilt for my nephew and a table runner/placemat set for my mom. In the last 6 months, I've made 3 quilts to give to family members/friends, and then the other two mentioned above. I want to make something for myself, but I'm at a loss what to do. I've decided not to take on anymore give-away projects until I have a new quilt for my own bed, but now I can't decide what to do. I'm inspired by so many different options, but just can't pick one. Help!

This is so funny. I too have made 4 giveway quilts since January, and now I want to make one for myself. But I try to take a quilt break in between each completed quilt. I just finished a little purse and might make another one before I get started on a quilt. The last recipient (of a king size quilt) has asked that I make a t shirt quilt, but I am not going to do that. My quilts are on a whim and when I feel like it...I don't care for taking on one right now.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 PM

My first thought for you would be to go find a pattern you want to make! I love buggy barn patterns; there is one problem they have gone out of business. But I have gone on Ebay and they seem to have some on sale still. Buggy barn patterns are so much fun!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I am definitely going to make that one I posted a link to on the second page. I just need to stop taking on so much. I didn't realize how much work and time these two gifts would take. I chose simple patterns for both, but I work about 70 hours a week. Quilting used to be my 'me' time, but when I'm on a deadline or under the gun, it becomes another stressful thing to get done. It's all self-imposed pressure (of course), nobody is pushing me, but I think once I get the gifts done, I'll feel much better. I really like being able to have multiple options/projects to work on/play with, but I just have too much going on in life to be turning my hobby into something with deadlines.

Kitsie, thanks for the complement, I can't say mine will look that beautiful, but I have a ton of grey fat quarters and I've been dying to do something somewhat scrappy with them. I just love how calming/yet interesting that quilt is, and I really enjoy paper piecing.

Trollystation: stitch678 and wildyard had some great ideas to help me pick a pattern. We should both commit to ourselves to make something we love for keeps!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I am definitely going to make that one I posted a link to on the second page. I just need to stop taking on so much. I didn't realize how much work and time these two gifts would take. I chose simple patterns for both, but I work about 70 hours a week. Quilting used to be my 'me' time, but when I'm on a deadline or under the gun, it becomes another stressful thing to get done. It's all self-imposed pressure (of course), nobody is pushing me, but I think once I get the gifts done, I'll feel much better. I really like being able to have multiple options/projects to work on/play with, but I just have too much going on in life to be turning my hobby into something with deadlines.

Kitsie, thanks for the complement, I can't say mine will look that beautiful, but I have a ton of grey fat quarters and I've been dying to do something somewhat scrappy with them. I just love how calming/yet interesting that quilt is, and I really enjoy paper piecing.

Trollystation: stitch678 and wildyard had some great ideas to help me pick a pattern. We should both commit to ourselves to make something we love for keeps!
I understand so completely your statements about self imposed pressure. I have taken on only a few by request quilts, and was given very very generous timeframes to have them done. But I just wanted to get them done and out of the house.