Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nylon invisible thread / bobbin cases >

Nylon invisible thread / bobbin cases

Nylon invisible thread / bobbin cases

Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM

I have been reading up on the different threads about nylon invisible thread. I appreciate all of the tips that I've gained in reading the forum.
I plan on using nylon invisible thread with percolite for making covers to cover over the air vents in our tent. I won't be ironing it so I won't have the thread melting.

I've read the problems that some of the member on the board have had with sewing with invisible thread on their machines.....
I also read where some of the members have not had any problems. I was wondering if having problems with sewing nylon in both the top and bobbin had to do with the type of bobbin case that was in the machine.

I have two types of bobbin cases in my collection of vintage singers. I have the type with the vertical bobbin (where you take the whole bobbin case out of the machine to change the bobbin) and I have the horizontal type bobbin (drop in bobbin).

I know that the vertical type works best for free motion quilting. I was wondering if it would work better when using invisible thread in the bobbin case than the drop in bobbins.

My question is...for those who had problems...what type of bobbin case did your machine have when you had problems.
and...
for those who didn't have problems, what type of bobbin case did you have in your machine.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Given the way the thread comes off the bobbin into the bobbin case of a vertical one, I'm thinking it would be less likely to have a problem in the one that is a drop in style....less chance to hang up on anything.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM

My Viking Rose has drop in bobbin. I use YLI Wonder invisible thread for top thread as well as bobbin with no probem.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM

I never use invisible thread in the bobbin. I think it would really be a bigger problem. Reg. thread in the bobbin will work ok. I have an older machine so that maybe the reason I have so much trouble.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Given the way the thread comes off the bobbin into the bobbin case of a vertical one, I'm thinking it would be less likely to have a problem in the one that is a drop in style....less chance to hang up on anything.
I was thinking the same thing. I will give it a try in the next few days.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
My Viking Rose has drop in bobbin. I use YLI Wonder invisible thread for top thread as well as bobbin with no probem.
Well that is good to know. I wanted to use one of my favorite machines (401 or 403) and they have the drop in bobbins.

I do have the 301 as a back up and that has the vertical bobbin case.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by lizzy
I never use invisible thread in the bobbin. I think it would really be a bigger problem. Reg. thread in the bobbin will work ok. I have an older machine so that maybe the reason I have so much trouble.
I honestly have never used the invisible thread either, but I need the strength of the nylon thread for this project. If I use a different thread in the bobbin (like cotton or polyester), there is always the chance that the strong nylon thread would (in time) break the cotton/polyester bobbin thread and my seams would come unraveled.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Honesttly I have givenup on invisible thread. It continually breaks or looks terrible on the back. I have tried both with it in both the spool and bobbin as well as just on the spool. Mine is drop in bobbin case but I have more trouble with the top portion than the bobbin area.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina with the vertical bobbin case. Have used invisible thread in both top and bobbin together with no problems.

I do loosen the upper tension. Also I am careful to wind the bobbin slowly (so the invisible thread doesn't stretch during winding), use a metal bobbin (plastic bobbins distort more easily under pressure), and underfill the bobbin.