Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
O/T Questions for the Aussies >

O/T Questions for the Aussies

O/T Questions for the Aussies

Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM

My DH and I are thinking about moving from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Australia. Thinking strongly enough to go to a job fair in here in September regarding jobs in Australia.

I don't have many specific questions because I don't even know what to ask! So, I guess I would say, what can you tell me? We will be coming with our two children a 6.5 yo boy and almost 4yo girl. That is their current ages and there will be no more. Here DS will start G2 in September and DD would start Kindergarten in one year.

So I am interested in information re: healthcare, education, prices, homes, and I don't even know what else. Anything and everything?!?

Please, I would appreciate anything you would volunteer and tell me.

TIA!

Tara
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Power Poster

Hello Tara,
Well, Australia is a very big country, so you would need to decide which State you would be prepared to live in. Our climate ranges from hot and dry - hot and humid in the North to temperate - cool in the far south. We are a long way from everywhere, so travel is expensive (specially if you get homesick). Personally I think it's the best place to live on the planet but I have been here for many years:).

All I can suggest is research, research and more research. The internet is useful, for house prices/rentals etc. try realestate.com.au - if you get interested in a particular state or area, most shire offices have a website, so you can check out schools, services etc.

Maybe if the job fair really gets you motivated, plan a trip to check it out. It will be expensive, but could save a lot of heartache later. All the best and pm me if you have any questions - Sure the other Aussies will chip in too.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 AM

Try reading the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 AM

You should first have to look into immigration laws they are strict unless you are from there originally.Australia is expensive compared to America as alot of things are imported but the pay rate relates equally to it.It is a big move and alot to consider Iam an Aussie living in the usa for a little while and hope to get home next year
Old 07-31-2011, 05:12 AM

It depends on what jobs you need.
Australia is a big place.
We will make you welcome.