Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd? >

Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd?

Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'm just like that only I don't wait to get all my work done hahaha
We're all in this together! Sisters UNITE!!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I don't always get all my work done either! LOL
The Walmart where I live doesn't have a fabric dept, but Marden's does. I also have an LQS one mile from my house! There is another one about 7 miles away! I also go online a lot.
I do LOVE this quilting board, but today for the first time I didn't get my morning email and I am worried. I checked it out and I am still listed so I don't know what happened. Will have to contact the admin and see.
I had that happen - you need to sign in again. Mine happened when my husband gave me his desktop "brain" as mine had been repaired 3 times before finally giving up the ghost.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 AM

i go to fabric stores and wal-mart(just 4 fabrics) and i love to go to mary-jos and just run my hands down rows and rows.....LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

You are not alone!
And usually when I compliment someone on their clothing... I am thinking I know exactly what I could do with that shirt, skirt or whatever... I'D CUT IT UP AND USE IT IN A QUILT!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM

I also buy fabric with the rule, if I don't buy it NOW it may be all gone...but I have made an adjustment, if I find coordinating fabrics that I buy several of, I store them together in a gallon zip lock. I used to merge them in with my others and still do some but the ones that go together I try to use this method. I have "lost" so many in the past because I couldn't find their friends mixed in my stash. Remember quilting has no rules - it is for pleasure and improvement of your skills.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Kinda funny about the poster saying she buys the fabric and worries about where to stash it later.

My friend does that-stashes it in all kinds of weird places. Our rule is that if she dies first I'm to go to her house and check all the hidey holes, including the trunk of the car, & under the seats.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
Ok, I find that every time I walk into Wal-Mart, I go straight to the fabric and craft section to look for new gadgets, tools and notions. In my down time (everything else has been done.. chores, etc.), I search for fabric / fabric combinations. I also delve into my graphics app and design quilts. Sooo... My question is do the rest of you quilters do the same thing? I will go into a fabric shop and just purchase fabric because I like it (like a kid in a candy store), with absolutely no quilt / home decor idea or design in mind. I always think, "I will find something to use it in". My fabric will sit there until suddenly something pops into my head. I normally let the fabric inspire me, versus planning something out. Sorry so long.... just wondering if all of this is common. :)

If I see a fabric I LOVE, I will buy it then. Reasons being-don't know if the fabric will be there in the future(store might run out and not reorder or if manufacturer quits making it and they couldn't reorder), or it may be some place I'm visiting and a good chance I won't be there again. I will buy at least the minimum cut. More if I Really, Really Love.

Also if it is on sale and especially a good price and it looks like it would work very well with many things I'll buy it to have on hand.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Well..........are quilters normal? We have a beautiful, colorful design somewhere in our brains and we can't describe it to another person. Then we go anywhere that sells fabrics and buy beautiful, colorful fabrics, but they are for another picture we are painting in our heads, and of course we can't describe this picture either. But...............when we go to work our beautiful, colorful canvas becomes a piece of art. Now............if we don't continue to add to our stash we might not have the piece of fabric that would finish our canvas of colors. So my motto is if I like it now I will like it later also. So if the price is right and fabric speaks to me I am going to buy it. I think that is normal..................almost.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Well..........are quilters normal? We have a beautiful, colorful design somewhere in our brains and we can't describe it to another person. Then we go anywhere that sells fabrics and buy beautiful, colorful fabrics, but they are for another picture we are painting in our heads, and of course we can't describe this picture either. But...............when we go to work our beautiful, colorful canvas becomes a piece of art. Now............if we don't continue to add to our stash we might not have the piece of fabric that would finish our canvas of colors. So my motto is if I like it now I will like it later also. So if the price is right and fabric speaks to me I am going to buy it. I think that is normal..................almost.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Work............................goodness I gave most of that up years ago. Doesn't seem to bother me much. I am old enough to stay in my sewing room, kitchen and rarely my den. So I keep those as clean as any quilter can. The rest of the house gets attention about twice a month, that is, if I'm not to busy in the sewing room! ! ! ! !