Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd? >

Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd?

Obsessed or do I fit in with the "quilting" crowd?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
We have this store in Franklin, TN (a suburb of Nashville), and you would not believe the thousands and thousands of bolts of fabrics, it's pure Heaven. :) The name of it is Stitcher's Garden if anyone in Tennessee is interested. :)
I was in this store years and years ago, and it seems from reading the reviews on the website that things have not changed in all those years. Yes, they have a TON of fabric. But it is so deeply stacked that you can't even see half of what's there. I had to side-step down rows to traverse them, and backup, move out of the way, when meeting another shopper coming toward me. Bolts were stacked 10-12 deep in front of shelves, impossible to move enough to see what was on the shelves. Tight, tight!

I got the distinct impression at the time that this was someone's personal stash, a true hoarding addiction, that she finally had to create a store front to continue to accumulate. I also didn't find the staff helpful or knowledgeable. I DID find some 15+ year old collector Mary Ellen Hopkins fabric to die for and bought it! And she probably has/had every Jinny Beyer print ever made at the time.

When I had my shop in Dallas, I often suggested this store for those customers who had exhausted every source for a missing fabric, but now wonder if they ever received a response to their letters asking about any specific fabric.

Still, I'd go back there....on a good physical day.

Jan in VA
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 AM

Welcome to the club! You're one of us now.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 AM

I was happy to read all the comments here and realize I'm not so weird after all.

I don't collect fabric (don't have room to store it), but I do collect rulers & gadets. I LOVE rulers. Garage sales are the best for that. One of my brothers is a garage sale fiend...you wouldn't believe the stuff he's found for me!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nanax4
I was happy to read all the comments here and realize I'm not so weird after all.

I don't collect fabric (don't have room to store it), but I do collect rulers & gadets. I LOVE rulers. Garage sales are the best for that. One of my brothers is a garage sale fiend...you wouldn't believe the stuff he's found for me!
You mean you have to have room to store it? Nobody told me that! I just buy it and then worry about where I'll stash it -- closets, under bed, trunk of car, etc. Just me, but I love fabrics.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Yup..I'm the same way.. Ive got tons of fabric but always searching for more whether i have a quilt or project in mind or not.. Never know when I might need THAT fabric and then kick myself latter for not getting it right then and there..So I usually pick it up right then and there..lol
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

I don't always get all my work done either! LOL
The Walmart where I live doesn't have a fabric dept, but Marden's does. I also have an LQS one mile from my house! There is another one about 7 miles away! I also go online a lot.
I do LOVE this quilting board, but today for the first time I didn't get my morning email and I am worried. I checked it out and I am still listed so I don't know what happened. Will have to contact the admin and see.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM

i believe all quilters are alike. i am glad i am not the only one who does this.I take weekly trips to the LQS just to see if there is something new that i have to have. luckily my husband doesn't mind when he see all the receipts from my fabric purchases.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Quiltforme - are you talking about me. It is a well deserved rest. LOL. This is my first day not selling and it is great. I have actually got a lot of shipping done. And yes, I love to shop. Cabbage Rose in Ft. Worth is moving across the street and is having a moving sell. I am so thre tomorrow with a couple of quilting friends. I buy becasue it's on sale and pretty and I know I can always find a pattern for it. Right now I am into big prints and planning to start a OBW or Stack and Whack. SO need lots of fabrics to see which is best. Buy,buy.....Just read the line under my name. That's me-researcher of fabrics
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM

[quote=stitchinbee] . . .(everything else has been done.. chores, etc.),/quote]

I'm supposed to be doing something else?????
Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 AM

Oh that is so me. But I do get a few quilts done in the meantime most likely because they are for a special someone and occasion. I do have some pattern that have yet to be hooked up to my stash but that is a WIP.