Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW - Blunder >

OBW - Blunder

OBW - Blunder

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Im confused too. I've never been able to do a OBW with less than 2 yards. (12" repeats is the smallest I've ever seen, needing 6 sets of the repeats = 72" of fabric) Would love to know how to get some blocks out of just one yard though. Please share that tidbit.
I've never made a obw, yet, but you could just use a pattern with a 6" repeat or less. It would be a smaller print, but i can see how it could be done...
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
put em together anyways and title your quilt obw on lsd or some such thing. would love to see your quilt.
I like the name, I will post when I lay it out.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
how can you do a OBW with just one yard of fabric. Don't you need at least 4 repeats.
Yeah, normally you do. I was just trying to do a trial so I wasn't to concerned about gettingmy repeats perfect.

This was a very large print. I cut into 3" strips, so I have small triangles.

I got 'almost' 3 repeats across the yardage, but it also repeated twice in each row, so I did end up with about 6 repeats. I say 'about' because this weird print did not have perfect repeats and since I had less fabic, I had to make due. But for my purposes of a OBW trial, it was sufficient.

My problem will be that because I have to turn the triangles in each set, the repeat will not line up as normally in a OBW. But I have a few strips I have not cut yet, so I think if I flip half the strips unside down this might counteract my having to turn the triangles. We'll see. I'll post pictures as I get farther into trying to do something with my blunder. Live and Learn. I may come up with something cool or really ugly, we'll see.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Fanny
Love your avitar! Sorry about your cutting mistake - I have a few of them myself!
Thanks. That's my Boo. He passed away. But I have 2 other bullies, both almost 6 years old. I love your guy, so cute!! Mine both love to hang out while I quilt. They've even tried to claim my quilts while I am working on them. If an end draps to the floor they are almost immediately laying on it :)