Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 150

Thread: OBW cut out remorse

  1. #26
    Member deanna.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    65
    Take your time and follow your plan to sew a few at a time. As others have said, do not sew the halves of your hexagons together! You will find that the final joining of the lines goes quickly once you decide how they should be placed.
    You may decide that there are certain hexagons that just don't go with what appears to me to be a primarily blue-green colourway. No rules here-- take them out and use them for something else (eg. applique them in a line to a strip of another fabric and make a table runner). If the resulting quilt is a bit smaller because of that, just add a complimentary border.

    When you are arranging them on the design wall, make a pattern that you like, then leave it for a day or two. With a fresh look, you might see it in a different light. I agree with the quilters who said to make them all first, then start placing them on the design wall.

    I think the hexagons that you have made so far are beautiful!

  2. #27
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    What one person likes, doesn't mean everyone likes it.
    Like they say...if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all!

    I'm not a huge fan of OBW either, but I'm amazed at how beautiful these quilts come out. There are a few OBWs that if I get the chance to get my paws on them, they might just disappear into my suitcase.
    Come on, Terri!! Fess up!! You never met a quilt that you didn't want to disappear into your suitcase!! ROFLMAO!!!!!
    Yes I have! But, I've been nice enough to NOT say anything negative about it. And no...it wasn't one of yours lol

  3. #28
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,307
    Do you have any of the original fabric you used? Would love to see the "before" and now we can see the "after".

  4. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    she stated she had remorse...a lot of people who get talked into making these quilts do..sorry if you could not read my post as a FOLLOW UP to her statement!

    I realize everyone likes different things...I replied to the REMORSE portion of this topic...if a person feels they did something they are not happy about, and they are looking for feel good comments, then don't say you have remorse..say you are not sure this is going to turn out like you thought it might...

    I have seen many a people walk away from the OBW class feeling more than remorse over spending all that money on fabric that did not look good once it is was cut...

    This might turn out just wonderful for YOU...but the process of these quilts don't look all that great until finished...some times one block will not tell you how the whole quilt will come together...

    I am sorry everyone took my post as being nasty..it was my thoughts about why you might be feeling remorseful over having cut this quilt out...it was NOT a nasty comment about YOUR quilt!

  5. #30
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    I think your individual Hexagons on gorgeous!!!

  6. #31
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    she stated she had remorse...a lot of people who get talked into making these quilts do..sorry if you could not read my post as a FOLLOW UP to her statement!

    I realize everyone likes different things...I replied to the REMORSE portion of this topic...if a person feels they did something they are not happy about, and they are looking for feel good comments, then don't say you have remorse..say you are not sure this is going to turn out like you thought it might...

    I have seen many a people walk away from the OBW class feeling more than remorse over spending all that money on fabric that did not look good once it is was cut...

    This might turn out just wonderful for YOU...but the process of these quilts don't look all that great until finished...some times one block will not tell you how the whole quilt will come together...

    I am sorry everyone took my post as being nasty..it was my thoughts about why you might be feeling remorseful over having cut this quilt out...it was NOT a nasty comment about YOUR quilt!
    BS

    Maybe make posts about your experiences and not others.

  7. #32
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,029
    Blog Entries
    7
    First, let me say that we are all entitled to our opinions and this is a public forum.

    However, The post was about cutters remorse. She has 96 blocks cut out that she estimates will take almost a month to put together. She did not say that she didn't like it. She did not say that she wasted any fabric. She was reflecting on the monumental task in front of her. She was receiving encouragement from others.

    I also thought the comment was harsh since it was off topic. I'm not sure where you were that you saw so many quilters with remorse over their decision to make this quilt. While it isn't a quilt I will be trying in the near future, there are numerous quilters on this forum who have made them with wonderful results.

  8. #33
    Super Member tellabella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,189
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know how to pick good fabric for this pattern...I want to make one but am afraid I will mess up...

  9. #34
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Quote Originally Posted by tellabella
    I don't know how to pick good fabric for this pattern...I want to make one but am afraid I will mess up...
    There are a lot of quilters here that are willing to help you with it if you would like to try, there is a tute as well as many people willing to help out every step of the way if you want/need it.

  10. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,301
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

    Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

    Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

    Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

    Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

    Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

    Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

    Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

    It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

    Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.

  11. #36
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,029
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

    Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

    Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

    Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

    Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

    Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

    Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

    Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

    It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

    Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
    That does sound faster. Now if I could just find the perfect fabric.

  12. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA & NM
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...
    I know how easy it is to be misunderstood. So I hope no one will be offended by what I have to say here. I noticed that several people seemed to react very strongly to the comment quoted above. When I read it (and I do not think I am better than anyone else!) I just viewed it as a personal opinion. I was quite surprised to see the responses it got. Responses that did strike me as rather harsh. I joined this board last year and think it is a great place. I have never noticed the person quoted above (and I do not know her or have had any contact with her on any occasion) to be unkind. Perhaps her wording could have been a little different, but then again I guess this could be a lesson worth learning. I think it may apply to me.
    So . . . Happy quilting and blessings to all.

    PS I have a friend who did a OBW and laid it out on a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth. It took her forever, but turned out fantastic. At the same time I bought fabric and books to do one and chickened out! Maybe someday, but not then and not yet!

  13. #38
    Super Member caliquocat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    1,298
    I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

    Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    With the OBW, you don't sew hexagons. They are all set out and then sewn in rows. You don't see the whole hexagon until you are finished. What you have now is more like Bethany Reynold's Stack and Whack.


    Don't be discouraged, they look fine!! You just need more of them. Keep going and you'll be surprised how well it all goes together. And yes, I agree, can we see the original fabric? Hang in there, I think you'll be glad you did.

    And Ewecansew, OBW's are the ones made from Hexagons. It is the Stack and Whack that is different.
    My reference was that in Stack and Whack, you sew the block together as one whole block, not half blocks. I do think the above OBW will look great, but will be a lot of work with inset seams if all the hexagons are sewn together first.

  15. #40
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Quote Originally Posted by caliquocat
    I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

    Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!
    can we see it? sometimes it is hard to see what you have until it is finished.

  16. #41
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,706
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

    Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

    Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

    Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

    Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

    Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

    Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

    Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

    It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

    Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
    That does sound faster. Now if I could just find the perfect fabric.
    It's here in Texas. YOu can find it in May. I even have some great fabric already in my room which you will have access to. LOL. I have to say, words on here cannot be heard and expressions seen. All I can say is Dont' make me break out my flying monkeys. :)

  17. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,301
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    [My reference was that in Stack and Whack, you sew the block together as one whole block, not half blocks. I do think the above OBW will look great, but will be a lot of work with inset seams if all the hexagons are sewn together first.
    If you look closely, you'll see that her hexs are pinned not sewn, so she won't have to worry about set-in seams.

  18. #43
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,029
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

    Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

    Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

    Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

    Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

    Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

    Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

    Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

    It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

    Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
    That does sound faster. Now if I could just find the perfect fabric.
    It's here in Texas. YOu can find it in May. I even have some great fabric already in my room which you will have access to. LOL. I have to say, words on here cannot be heard and expressions seen. All I can say is Dont' make me break out my flying monkeys. :)
    Hey there! Already plan on getting it in Texas!!! I have promises of help!! Been working out a deal on another thread.

  19. #44
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,706
    Blog Entries
    36
    I saw that too. Have a good night. I've gotta go. HUGS

  20. #45
    Super Member montanajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Montana
    Posts
    1,318
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your blocks are pretty!

    My progress on a stack 'n' whack or OBW:
    Fabric .... check
    Pattern .... check
    Enthusiasm to start .... not there yet
    Procrastination scale .... high! :+)

  21. #46
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Not only did I do it once, also bought fabric to make 2 more.I'm chalking it up to a Sr moment...or 2 or 3!
    It's so ugly it hurts my eyes & life is to short to waste it on ugly blocks :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne

  22. #47
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Have seen lots of pretty OBW quilts posted on here.They inspired me to try one.Just because I don't like mine,doesn't put down those who made a OBW.
    There are several quilt patterns I don't care for, but that's just my opinion. No use in hurting anyones feelings.


    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    640
    lots of nice colors, finish and then I will bet you will be pleased with the end product.

  24. #49
    Super Member coachmatthewsvhs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    1,657
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think the hex's are beautiful. Try putting unsewn hexes on paper plates so you can turn center points and move them around until you get a view you like. You're doing great..... keep going!

  25. #50
    Super Member coachmatthewsvhs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    1,657
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Not only did I do it once, also bought fabric to make 2 more.I'm chalking it up to a Sr moment...or 2 or 3!
    It's so ugly it hurts my eyes & life is to short to waste it on ugly blocks :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne

    I'd love to see the fabric you purchased for your "not going to make an OBW" quilts....... I may be interested as I love them. Are they large print (24 inch repeats?) Pics of the fabric?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.