Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW cut out remorse >

OBW cut out remorse

OBW cut out remorse

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
she stated she had remorse...a lot of people who get talked into making these quilts do..sorry if you could not read my post as a FOLLOW UP to her statement!

I realize everyone likes different things...I replied to the REMORSE portion of this topic...if a person feels they did something they are not happy about, and they are looking for feel good comments, then don't say you have remorse..say you are not sure this is going to turn out like you thought it might...

I have seen many a people walk away from the OBW class feeling more than remorse over spending all that money on fabric that did not look good once it is was cut...

This might turn out just wonderful for YOU...but the process of these quilts don't look all that great until finished...some times one block will not tell you how the whole quilt will come together...

I am sorry everyone took my post as being nasty..it was my thoughts about why you might be feeling remorseful over having cut this quilt out...it was NOT a nasty comment about YOUR quilt!
BS

Maybe make posts about your experiences and not others.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
np3
Power Poster

First, let me say that we are all entitled to our opinions and this is a public forum.

However, The post was about cutters remorse. She has 96 blocks cut out that she estimates will take almost a month to put together. She did not say that she didn't like it. She did not say that she wasted any fabric. She was reflecting on the monumental task in front of her. She was receiving encouragement from others.

I also thought the comment was harsh since it was off topic. I'm not sure where you were that you saw so many quilters with remorse over their decision to make this quilt. While it isn't a quilt I will be trying in the near future, there are numerous quilters on this forum who have made them with wonderful results.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't know how to pick good fabric for this pattern...I want to make one but am afraid I will mess up...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tellabella
I don't know how to pick good fabric for this pattern...I want to make one but am afraid I will mess up...
There are a lot of quilters here that are willing to help you with it if you would like to try, there is a tute as well as many people willing to help out every step of the way if you want/need it.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
That does sound faster. Now if I could just find the perfect fabric.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...
I know how easy it is to be misunderstood. So I hope no one will be offended by what I have to say here. I noticed that several people seemed to react very strongly to the comment quoted above. When I read it (and I do not think I am better than anyone else!) I just viewed it as a personal opinion. I was quite surprised to see the responses it got. Responses that did strike me as rather harsh. I joined this board last year and think it is a great place. I have never noticed the person quoted above (and I do not know her or have had any contact with her on any occasion) to be unkind. Perhaps her wording could have been a little different, but then again I guess this could be a lesson worth learning. I think it may apply to me.
So . . . Happy quilting and blessings to all.

PS I have a friend who did a OBW and laid it out on a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth. It took her forever, but turned out fantastic. At the same time I bought fabric and books to do one and chickened out! Maybe someday, but not then and not yet!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM

I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by ewecansew
With the OBW, you don't sew hexagons. They are all set out and then sewn in rows. You don't see the whole hexagon until you are finished. What you have now is more like Bethany Reynold's Stack and Whack.

Don't be discouraged, they look fine!! You just need more of them. Keep going and you'll be surprised how well it all goes together. And yes, I agree, can we see the original fabric? Hang in there, I think you'll be glad you did.

And Ewecansew, OBW's are the ones made from Hexagons. It is the Stack and Whack that is different.
My reference was that in Stack and Whack, you sew the block together as one whole block, not half blocks. I do think the above OBW will look great, but will be a lot of work with inset seams if all the hexagons are sewn together first.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!
can we see it? sometimes it is hard to see what you have until it is finished.