Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: OBW cut out remorse

Blog Entries
    The instructor in our class recommends 6 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Um, send them to me! Sorry, being greedy as I have already spent my $171!

Blog Entries
    I hope we can find a way to discuss differences without getting "sharp" with each other.

Like Jacquie, I generally dislike most results of the OBW/stack-and-whack. I love the THEORY behind it, but most of the results I've seen are way too busy for my eyes.

But I also see that alot of people really like this approach, so I'm trying to be curious: what is it people like about it, and what characteristics attract me more than others?

Someone recently posted an OBW that was done in black, white, grey and red. The fabric had more "negative space" in it-- i.e., background between elements (vs a mass of design elements crowded all together). There was also contrast. It also had a swirly black line connecting elements, and all these characteristics, I thought, made for a great result, not only in individual hexagons, but when the hexagons were pieced together.

I have also liked when the hexagons have been separated with other shapes-- stripes, triangles people have mentioned, or solid hexagons.

So, I'm keeping my eye out for a fabric with the above conditions, and hoping that I find one I can test/play with.

It seems like fabric selection is really key. But I don't see a lot of discussion about that-- here or in instructions.

If I were faced with the hexagons that sewingsuz is faced with, my remorse would be focused on lack of contrast. With the exception of the upper-right hexagon, all of the others are dark or deeply hued. The eye needs a break.

I am guessing, however, from what I've seen so far of others' OBW work is that more variation will be had; just keep going. It sounds like one lesson from OBW creation is: don't make a snap judgment based on nine hexagons.

Keep moving forward, Suz....

-- Jillaine

The hexagons are so very beautiful.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Make them into some small lap size quilts and donate them to a local nursing home or send them to project Linus. They will be appreciated and loved by either of those. You will be making someone's life brighter by doing that..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B. on the snowy Cal-Ore border

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...
    ...and you think it is really necessary to answer in such a cutting way? How offensive to those members who love the OBW and Stack and Whack. This message REALLY falls in the "if you have nothing nice to say...." category.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think the OBW horse has been beaten plenty. Those who offended didn't mean to. Those who reacted harshly got a solid explanation of how/why things went wonky. We all bring our personal filters to the board and what one person sees as freedom to express an opinion, another sees as harsh criticism.

Let's focus on the OBW and how to get the OP back on track and meeting her challenge. This is too nice of a board to let a few hiccups spoil the fun.

Holding out hands in peace gesture.

Maybe we need to lock this one too.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    Maybe we need to lock this one too.
    I think we're good. We are adults who can disagree and learn to agree again. Locking threads takes away our collective opportunity to show that we can do that on our own.

The tone of the thread in general has picked up in a positive direction and I just don't want my comment to be revisited. I thought we were OK.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caliquocat
    I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!
    Hate to see all your work go to waste. You might be able to use these hexagons for a stack n whack instead! By putting in a contrasting fabric (either lighter or darker) for the "points" when putting the hexagon together, it might just be enough to make the hexagons stand out. Seems like the lower contrasting blocks work better in a stack n whack than a OBW. I made one a number of years ago and loved how it turned out. Just an idea .....

[quote=plainpat]Not only did I do it once, also bought fabric to make 2 more.I'm chalking it up to a Sr moment...or 2 or 3!
    It's so ugly it hurts my eyes & life is to short to waste it on ugly blocks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I bet if you posted pictures of your "UGLY" you would get a lot of responses to the contrary!

Thanks for all the help on here, I have the One Block Wonder Book and we are going by it. I am putting them together in half hexagons and then pin together and put them on the wall. I won't give up, I just had to start, and it is not that bad. I posted the starting fabric today under pictures and I said I think the material looks like an OBW just the way it was. I got my patiences back now. Suzanne

Looks good to me so far, I have never made one but it is on my list.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I bet if you posted pictures of your "UGLY" you would get a lot of responses to the contrary!
    Boy ain't that the truth! I have seen some stunning quilts where the quilter was unhappy (or unsure) for some reason or another. It helps to get a nudge of goodness to be able to regroup and look at your work with new eyes.

I must be weird...cuz I think these are beautiful!

Blog Entries
    It is beautiful, but there is a method for placing the hexagons that make it look a little better. Sort all the same colors into piles the best you can, the pick the one hex that is your favorite and start with it, then you try to pick colors that are the same on the edges and place them next to each other, you kind of want the colors to flow into each other. Do you have the book? It has an example of how to put it together in the book, if not maybe you could go to a shop and look at their book. I helped a friend that felt the same way you did and after much moving around she loved it and also won a ribbon in the local quilt show, hers was red, black and white poinsettas, it was very striking. Hope that makes sence to you. And you place them on the design wall b4 you sew the last two pieces together. Someone already addressed that in a earlier post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    There are a few OBWs that if I get the chance to get my paws on them, they might just disappear into my suitcase.
    LOL Terri .. thats why I was so looking forward to meeting you at the festival :lol:

Blog Entries
    Keep going you are doing great, and don't pay attention to negative post. This is just one persons opinion and lots of us do LOVE the One Block Wonder and Stack N Whack. There is a tutorial on here of the OBW. Check it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...
    No waste fabric for me. I used the ones left over on the back - and I put original fabric on the borders AND the back. The beauty of being a quilter is you don't have to like EVERY quilt you see, but EVERY quilt will have someone that likes it!

find the blocks wonderful, but......I would realy like to see the flying monkeys hehehe

Blog Entries
    I think they are pretty!! Don't throw them away!! Keep going!! I'm going to do one too.

The are easier to put together (no Y seams) if you just put half the block together at a time, pin together to keep from them getting lost from each other, and sew in rows. They are amazing when they get put together. That is one on my list to make this summer...working on a stack-n-whack right now.

Blog Entries
    what is a stack and whack? i think the obw's are terrific. it's hard to know where to focus, and you find something new every time you look at it!

Blog Entries
    I've decided any fabric I have bought & paid for is gonna stay here. I'll use it sooner or later....maybe for backings.Shipping is going higher,so don't think buyer or seller can make much of a profit.

I'd love to see the fabric you purchased for your "not going to make an OBW" quilts....... I may be interested as I love them. Are they large print (24 inch repeats?) Pics of the fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia
    what is a stack and whack? i think the obw's are terrific. it's hard to know where to focus, and you find something new every time you look at it!
    This is one my Mom made.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-67715-1.htm

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast