Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: OBW cut out remorse

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybuttons
    find the blocks wonderful, but......I would realy like to see the flying monkeys hehehe
    That's just my favorite saying from the Wizard of Oz of course. I think it tends to settle down a subject. And the flying monkeys are rather cute. I play the Oz slot machine and pray for the Flying monkey bonus. I have a coffee mug with that saying. I think everyone on this board has their own opinions and if you post something on here, you have to be ready to see both sides. Just think of how many of us there are. I'd like to see this group in a common class. I would think we all would chose different colors, etc. That's why we are quilters. Love the way this post took itself positive again.
    I love this patterna and now am looking at the
    OBW cubed book and thinking.....OMG how in the world did that come out that way???????
    I have another Fun saying......"Your take-off sucks, but your landing was fine."
    My hubby would say this to me because he is such a critic, her would say, don't think that's gonna work, then when I finish, he tells me this again. You think he would learn. ROFL.
    Quilty hugs to all.
    BTW Madquilter - Love your well chosen words. We are all sister quilters here....in the end we come back together. :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Is the difference between a OBW and a stack and whack the angle of the cut, or is it the way the fabric is aligned? I never really understood.

Blog Entries
    The Stack and Whack Book actually has patterns for several different angles of cuts, one of them is for hexagons. The Stack and Whack patterns are generally made as blocks with a background fabric.

Obw falls under the type stack n wack. The S&T encompases different shapes, hexagon, octagon, square and fan. It is the process of stacking the fabric and cutting all the layers the same and assembling them. Usually haves frames etc around to make the individual blocks stand out. The obw more mashes them together and they can be done in the octagon or hexagon.

I used both books to do my original one. They are just different enough to have different ideas and suggestions to give a bigger picture. Especially since stacking the fabric is the same.

I have the fan s&w on my bucket list.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Got it! Thanks.

I have 30 together now and that is a third. I'll show again when I have them all up on design wall. Thanks to all for support and encouragement.

Great to hear!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Thanks for all the help on here, I have the One Block Wonder Book and we are going by it. I am putting them together in half hexagons and then pin together and put them on the wall. I won't give up, I just had to start, and it is not that bad. I posted the starting fabric today under pictures and I said I think the material looks like an OBW just the way it was. I got my patience back now. Suzanne
    You go girl! :thumbup:

Here is the thread with the starting fabric
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110635-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link 7....that fabric is gorgeous Suz! You are going really quickly on the sewing to have that many done now. When do we get to see again??

Blog Entries
    was wondering myself what it stood for

Only got through 3 pages of many negative comments.
    The lesson to be learned here is that no one's effort should be diminished by another's personal opinion. We all have our personal likes and dislikes.

I DO enjoy being a member of this board and seeing what you ALL are making. I am most appreciative of the instructions and tutorials that are given here!

I hope there will be no more postings to this subject that are not positive comments.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    find the blocks wonderful, but......I would realy like to see the flying monkeys hehehe
    Just for you....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response on the OBW, Iv never heard of the term before so now I know what it means,,,

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    That's just my favorite saying from the Wizard of Oz of course. I think it tends to settle down a subject. And the flying monkeys are rather cute.
    I have a little sign hanging in my office that says "I Have Flying Monkeys And I Am Not Afraid To Use Them!"

Its right next to "Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Free Puppy"

Kas
    Well, I am going to try to post a pic of my OBW top. The second one is just pinned in hexes all in stacks in my fabric cupboard.

Kas
    And here are a couple of pics of the second one still in production. LOL!

Kas those are too cool.

Someone asked why we make OBW's? Well, my reason is that I do not do paper piecing, or applique or anything that is really intricate and takes a long time...I really envy those who do and drool over all those quiilts, but I will never be able to make them. The OBW has the feel of being intricate yet is so easy to do. And it is off the beaten path of traditional blocks. I do a lot of Civil War quilts that we raffle off, and the OBW's take me to a different place. Soooo.that is why I make OBW's!!! And have never met a OBW that I didn't like!!! That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Blog Entries
    I agree, I think once they are all pieced together you might like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    The wonder of this quilt is that you can't picture what you have created until all the blocks are pieced. Don't get discouraged. Finish piecing the blocks.

I personally do not even look at the blocks until I finish piecing them. I then sort them into color piles, and then begin playing on the wall.

Look at some of the photos on the board.

Stay with it, your blocks are beautiful so far.

Blog Entries
    Both the finished one AND the WIP look great to me! My challenge with these quilts is - How in the heck do you quilt them OTHER than an all over meander??? I think meandering is great, however I tend to prefer actual patterns on my personal quilts....so.....I get lost for the OBW's.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Both the finished one AND the WIP look great to me! My challenge with these quilts is - How in the heck do you quilt them OTHER than an all over meander??? I think meandering is great, however I tend to prefer actual patterns on my personal quilts....so.....I get lost for the OBW's.
    Mine had a pattern!! Check out the OBW that hcarpanini did for me. And Charismah has done at least one with patterns. I've seen several that had really neat quilting in them.

Blog Entries
    Those quilts are striking, the colors so bright and happy, love the fabrics, I have done Stacknwhack ,have the book but haven't done the OBW going to have to look into this method,

You could pretty much quilt anything into it. You could even be sneaky and quilt a picture into it.

I recently got a book on 2 and 3 line quilting that I would love to try on one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    That's just my favorite saying from the Wizard of Oz of course. I think it tends to settle down a subject. And the flying monkeys are rather cute.
    I have a little sign hanging in my office that says "I Have Flying Monkeys And I Am Not Afraid To Use Them!"

Its right next to "Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Free Puppy"
    Both of these are so cute. Now I have two more sayings. Thanks for sharing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    KAS - Love both of the OBW's. Wow.

Hang in there, like all the otheres said, it will all come together. I bought a piece of fabric on sale, not sure if I could do this project, but the toughest part was the stacking of 6 layers. Got through that, and loved putting the hexs together.

Then when I started hanging them on the wall, I realized that mine weren't as distinctive as yours are, so I have to arrange mine in an offset pattern with a solid dark color between them. And it has made the blocks pop.

When you get all your blocks done, and start laying them into the differnts color combos, you will be amazed at the beauty of it all.

I am trolling the fabric shops looking for just the right fabric. Could you post a picture of your original fabric, please? It would help me know more of what to look for. Keep on sewing, it will come out wonderful in the end.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast