Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OBW fabric disaster!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    oh boy I was going to try one of these. I have to wash fabric. I cannot stand the chemicals in them. Maybe if I am really careful when I press.
    You'll really struggle to line up the repeats if you wash the sizing out. It's NOT the pressing that distorts as much as the washing.

As for tearing the fabric as suggested above - this is not the right way to go with stack n whack, OBW or any of these methods - you'll pull the pattern out of true. The fabric should be manipulated as little as possible in order to get the pattern repeats correctly lined up. This is crucial. I'm not purporting to be an 'expert' but I HAVE read all the books from cover to cover and have successfully made a dozen or so of these quilts. Up to you if you follow my advice or not. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I know I'm ignorant but what is OBW
    One block wonder

Well I guess this is one pattern I am going to have to pass on. I am really allergic to the chemicals in the fabrics. I love wandering around fabric stores but have had to limit my time to 30 minutes or less.Total bummer. Fabric comes in my house and goes directly into the washer. The things we do for the love of a passion

First thing I do when I come home with new fabric is "head to the washer". NOTHING goes into my stash until it is washed, pressed and blocked. Here's a demontration I found to explain "why" and to assure that you have a "straight of grain". Hope this helps.

http://janeweston.blogspot.com/2008/...ready-for.html

She's using a small piece. If you have 2 or more yds. of fabric. Place the fabric on your ironing board lining up the salvage (fabric hanging over both sides of irong board) as she shows and work from the middle of the fabric to one end. Then repeat from the middle and work to the other end of the yardage.

I "never" use starch or any additive when I do this. You never know how long the fabric will be sitting in your stash and how this could affect the fabric

Blog Entries
    You can always use the "waste" on the end on the back or to show the original fabric. This will be your "practice" one, so relax, learn the process and let it go....glad you posted about it though so we'll ALL learn the lesson!

How is a One Block Wonder different from Stack and Whack?

oh ty...was wondering what OBW ment.....i am not too familiar with the quilting lingo...lol

I found this site (blog). She gives alot of tips and suggestions. Found this interesting but don't think I'll ever attempt one of these.

http://abbquilts.blogspot.com/2008/0...-and-tips.html

I'M SURE THE BLOCK YOU DISPLAY IS NOT AN OBW BUT IT SURE IS PRETTY. WHAT IS THE NAME? THIS RE QUILTER 7X

That was my question too

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting too, alot of us have learned thru your experience.

oh boy I was going to try one of these. I have to wash fabric. I cannot stand the chemicals in them. Maybe if I am really careful when I press.
    I've made four OBW tops now (two are quilted and done). I always prewash, never use starch or sizing, and it turns out well for me.

Of course I don't have the comparison - for all I know I might find it a lot easier if I ever worked with unwashed - but I'd sure say, if you have to get rid of the chemicals then do go ahead and wash. Press with care, take your time lining up your repeats and you'll be fine.

One really important thing for me has been not to cut every 24'' (or however long the repeat is), but to look at the fabric and make sure I make my cuts along the same line in the pattern every time. Lining up the ruler along the same two leaf tips or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by denveremerson
    I got the OBW book for Christmas, and read it through several times so that I would get the concept down. I decided to start with a fabric that I already had to make sure I knew what I was doing. But it had a 25 1/4" repeat. Odd. As I couldn't remember where or when I got this fabric, I decided to pre-wash it first (The author doesn't like doing that, but I felt it should be done). Wash, dry, starch, iron. Measure again. Now it has a 24" repeat. After cutting my 24" strips, I realize that the grain is off, like really bad! Now I've lost about 4" on each end of each strip, and I'm really upset. Has anyone had this problem? You are all so wise, please help!!
    I know there is rhyme and reason for abreviations. and there is a place to find what they mean. What does OBW stand for and what do you look for when you want to find the list ?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrelpen
    I know there is rhyme and reason for abreviations. and there is a place to find what they mean. What does OBW stand for and what do you look for when you want to find the list ?
    If you type OBW into the Search function on the board, you'll get a whole list of topics about these quilts. Also, top left of this page is a blue link to a topic list dedicated to OBWs, Kaleidoscopes and Stack n Whack quilts. Click on that and you'll get every topic ever created about them - if I've done my job right. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrelpen
    If you type OBW into the Search function on the board, you'll get a whole list of topics about these quilts. Also, top left of this page is a blue link to a topic list dedicated to OBWs, Kaleidoscopes and Stack n Whack quilts. Click on that and you'll get every topic ever created about them - if I've done my job right. :-D
    Not to mention the question has been asked and answered in this very topic.

I just got the book so I am happy to read what to do and what not to do before I begin. Thanks all

Kas
    Ok. Here is my suggestion. Take lots of the flower head pins and mark multiple identical points (like she says to do on the 4 corners) just down the length of the fabric sections and also in the center. I think you can salvage it if you get multiple points to match in your repeat. Even if they don't match exactly, the patterns will still be cool. I love OBWs. I just have so many other projects to do that my yardage for the next three just sits and waits!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    She clearly says in the book that prewashing should NOT be done as it can distort the fabric. I'm guilty myself of thinking I know better than the instructions from time to time though so I do feel for you! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry this happened and I'm putting this thread in the OBW topic list to help pre-warn others. :-)
    And it also makes it stick to itself so the fabric doesn't flatten as well when trying to line up your match points.

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial for the OBW??

Blog Entries
    CuteBuns has a tute - go to "search" and look for OBW tutorials. Her's is terrific! Think it's somewhere around 44 - 45 down the list.

You are not ignorant! I was in the same boat, it means "one block wonder". The only one that I know is a stack and whack they are a lot of fun.
    Nana Julie

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette
    oh ty...was wondering what OBW ment.....i am not too familiar with the quilting lingo...lol
    I had the same problem and I posted a topic about not understanding the quilters lingo...so here is what the other bloggers sent me.
    http://www.stashbuster.com/id19.html
    Nana Julie

Blog Entries
    Well I guess this is one pattern I am going to have to pass on. I am really allergic to the chemicals in the fabrics. I love wandering around fabric stores but have had to limit my time to 30 minutes or less.Total bummer. Fabric comes in my house and goes directly into the washer. The things we do for the love of a passion
    Don't give up on making a OBW. I think if your fabric is good quality, you can wash and there shouldn't be a problem. I haven't done a OBW yet, but I have done a stack and wack and I always wash my fabrics and didn't have a problem at all with that.

I have some fabric that I have washed that I'm going to do a OBW. Wish me luck!

I agree. Is there anywhere in this board that has a "dictionary" for the acronyms you all use? Some of them I have figured out, but others leave me baffled. :-}

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    One Block Wonder
    Is that the same as the 3 row block or 10 minute block?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast