Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW question .... >

OBW question ....

OBW question ....

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzi
Terrific - I kind of figured you could pretty well compose each block the way that catches your eye --- and also figured that for Maxine to state that you should put the straight of grain to the edges there had to be a reason. Sooooooo - I am sewing with the grain on the outer edges EXCEPT where I just don't like that particular block and then I'm sewing it however it falls. gaigai, what page? - I can only find where she shows the three possible arrangements in pictures. LOL - I'm not stressing over this ... it's just that this is the first quilt I am attempting by following instructions. All my others have been scrappies (which one day I'll post on here). Thanks so much for the tips - Lord knows I need all the help I can get.
On page 29 she says "...you can assemble the hexagon in 3 different ways with each triangle point in the center of the hexagon."

It's on the following page that she recommends putting the straight of the grain on the outside, but I've never bothered even looking at the grain. I just rearrange the triangles to see which arrangement I like best. Because I'm very careful not to stretch the material, I've never had any problem with distortion.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
having the straight of grain on the outside will help limit any distortion that might occur due to bias edges.
But it only helps with OUTSIDE distortion, not distortion caused by sewing the triangles together. No matter what you do, you are going to have two bias sides to the triangle, and only one straight grain side. So I don't see that it makes any difference how they are oriented.