Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd problem with color bleeding >

Odd problem with color bleeding

Odd problem with color bleeding

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Why the caution about rinsing hand-dyes in a hotel bathtub?
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Let's just say it was a good thing we were in a suite with a kitchenette, and dishwasher detergent (with bleach) was provided.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy expensive fabrics and have very little bleeding. I prewash all fabrics as soon as I get them home. I also wash them with at least 3 color catchers I can see if they work and they do. I also use them until they start falling apart. I also wash my finished quilts and use color catchers.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't think Vicki Welsh's method (nutshell: soak in 140° F water with a dab of Dawn for 12 hours) is any more extreme than washing your fabrics five, six, or seven times. It's actually easier and less wasteful.

Cindi and I took a hand-dyeing class in Houston this year. Here are some things we learned:

1. Dawn dish soap does the exact same thing that Synthrapol does: it suspends the dye in the water and helps prevent the dye from being absorbed by other fabrics. According to several professional hand-dyers ("professional" meaning people buy their hand-dyed producs), Dawn is actually marginally better at it, while also being very affordable and very available, unlike Synthrapol.

2. Color catchers are a waste of money.

3. Be very, very careful when rinsing your hand-dyes out in a hotel bathtub.
I’m using this method right now to rinse out the excess dyes on the fabrics we dyed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583569[/ATTACH]

It’s amazing how well Dawn gets the excess dye out of the fabric - and no, it doesn’t fade the fabric at all. As far as the bathtub, I don’t think you’ll have the problem we had - we were doing newly-dyed fabrics that were saturated with a ton of dye. Yours won’t have anything remotely close that much dye in them. But, if you do get a little staining, granular dishwasher soap or bleach will take the dye right off the tub. Dawn is much cheaper than Synrapol, and I’m buying a gallon bottle of it to keep for just this reason, lol...
Attached Thumbnails a6c61e7e-4d37-40a3-b677-ded4474382c1.jpeg  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Depending on the manufacturing process, some fabrics pick up color more easily than others.

Instead of color catchers, I use Synthrapol for the first washing of a quilt, using hot water and a large front-loader at the laundromat. Color catchers do not necessarily catch all loose dye particles, especially if there is fabric in the mix that is also good at picking up loose dye. Synthrapol suspends loose dye particles in the water, preventing them from being picked up by fabrics. It won't necessarily protect against a perpetual "bleeder" fabric, but for normal excess dyes in fabrics it has always worked for me.

In my opinion, your best bet is to wash again using Synthrapol and lots of hot water. The dye particles that have settled into your Moda Snow are not permanently set. Permanent setting usually requires a chemical manufacturing process. Although some dyes are heat set, the heat in a domestic dryer is typically not high enough to permanently set dyes. Synthrapol will work at lifting those unset dye particles as well as keeping them suspended in the water to be rinsed away. It can take multiple washings with Synthrapol and hot water to get rid of all the dye bleeds, but it usually works eventually.

What kind of washing machine did you use? Bleeding issues are worse in domestic front loaders because they use so little water. When you have a large dye bleed, such as with backing fabric, there will not be enough water to dilute the bleed. Again, this is why I use a large laundromat front loader for the first wash. Aside from the Synthrapol and hot water, just the fact that there is more water in that first wash helps keep dye bleeds diluted and less likely to be picked up by fabric.

Edit: Most loose dye is caused by the manufacturer not rinsing the fabric well enough. There is excess, loose dye left in the fabric that comes out in the first wash. The occasional perpetual bleeder fabric is caused by a different manufacturing problem, this time with improper setting of the dye. Perhaps the right mix of chemicals wasn't used, or the heat was too low or heat cycle too short. Most likely your backing fabric simply had excess dye in it.

Regarding the Moda Snow, fabrics are not necessarily treated to resist picking up loose dye. A fabric that has not needed to undergo any dying process will be manufactured differently than a fabric that has had a color design transferred to it. The manufacturing steps will be different, and likely the processes needed to secure the colored design to a fabric will also stop the fabric from picking up loose dye.
When washing my quilts for the first time, I always use color catchers in the wash. Have never had a problem since I started using these.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
2. Color catchers are a waste of money.
I'm curious about this one! I use color catchers a lot and they seem to help - why are they deemed to be a waste of money?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear about Dawn, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 AM

I love this board! I learn something new all the time.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Using Dawn dish soap for bleeding fabric

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Use this method - tried and true. You can’t go wrong with it. https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/sav...ing-quilt.html
Did you do this test in a washing machine? I am concerned about using Dawn dish soap in my washing machine which is why I am asking.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I make sure my fabrics are not coloring the water before I cut them.

Basically, the Vicky Welsh method.

I have also learned that "Just a Quick Rinse/Wash" was not adequate for making sure the fabric was not bleeding or had excess dye.

For me, it's just easier to not take a chance on the dyes - I don't feel like dealing with situations like the original poster has mentioned. (Been there, done that. I was not entertained!)