Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd problem with color bleeding >

Odd problem with color bleeding

Odd problem with color bleeding

Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM

I use Dawn Ultra dish shop when prewashig fabric in the machine. I buy the stuff that is clear to start with (no dyes or fragrances). Been using it for over 6 months now and not noticing it affects the machine any. I have a top loader. I wash every fabric that comes into the house - just did another load last night. I do sort the fabric and wash like colors together.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I'm curious about this one! I use color catchers a lot and they seem to help - why are they deemed to be a waste of money?
Because there are more affordable, efficient, effective methods.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Did you do this test in a washing machine? I am concerned about using Dawn dish soap in my washing machine which is why I am asking.
I wouldn't use Dawn in a front-loader that requires HE (low-sudsing) detergent.

Cindi didn't do the test, Vicki Welsh did. When you go to Vicki's site, there is a link that says "Download the full instructions here". THAT is what everyone needs to read. It tells you what to do and how to do it. Very informative and helpful.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Did you do this test in a washing machine? I am concerned about using Dawn dish soap in my washing machine which is why I am asking.
Using Dawn dish soap in a front loader would probably void the warranty. Front loaders are typically HE (high efficiency) and cannot handle a lot of suds. In any case, domestic front loaders do not use enough water to dilute dye bleeds, so it's kind of a moot question.

It should be fine to use Dawn in a top loader unless it's a high efficiency top loader; read your manual before trying to make sure it doesn't void your warranty.

The Dawn liquid that is recommended is Dawn Pure -- a clear version of the blue Dawn we are most familiar with. I am surprised that so many people can find it easily; I have not been able to find it in any of our local stores.

I noticed that the bathtub instructions use a *lot* of Dawn. Since the quilt is left to soak for long periods of time without agitation, I'm sure it is necessary to use quite a bit of soap to prevent movement of dye to other fabrics. (Note: if using a top loader you can still use quite a bit of Dawn; however, be aware that using the machine's agitation could create an enormous amount of suds. You may want to agitate by hand.)

One reason I like to use a laundromat front loader is that the quilt is continuously agitated, so one fabric does not lie next to another for a long period of time. Dye can travel from a damp fabric to another fabric when they are touching. Other reasons I like the laundromat front loader is because it is easy on my back and relatively fast compared to soaking. No risk of dying our expensive bathtub either. However, the bathtub approach is very interesting and I'm glad someone took the time to develop that method.

Here is a link to an older thread when someone had a bleed in a show quilt and successfully used a bathtub to remove the bleed: Fabric bleeding disaster, is it possible to fix it? . Note that she changed the water as it became discolored and added more soap until the water remained clear. I would be hesitant to leave a quilt lying in dark colored water for very long, even with all that soap in the water.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM

I washed a red, white and blue quilt to hang it up in a show. The quilt is 15 years old and had been washed several times. It hangs high up in my entry foyer so it doesn't get washed often. For some reason the red bled into certain of the white fabrics. I have never had it bleed before and I did put in color catchers. I rewashed it with Oxy Clean which had been suggested elsewhere. It took some of the color out. I also was afraid to put Dawn dish soap in my HE frontloader. I soaked it for about an hour with Dawn dish soap in my laundry tub. I rinsed it and spun it out in the washer. This did the trick. It is barely noticable now.
I can't explain why your jelly roll fabric didn't pick up the dye. I would email the manufacturer.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Lots of interesting and useful info being discussed here!! Thanks for all of the great tips!!

I have always used Synthrapol and Retayne when treating bleeding fabrics. Although these are great products I would definitely rather use Dawn to avoid contact with the harmful chemicals that they contain.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 PM

I always test any colored fabric I purchase, even before I prewash! I don't use hand-dyed fabric in my quilts -- because it's too expensive for my budget. If I am unfortunate enough to have purchased a fabric that bleeds, I treat the bleeding fabric with a "dye setter" product I discovered, re-test to make sure the treatment has worked, and use the fabric, knowing I've done everything I can to prevent a "bleeding" quilt. I've never had a fabric bleed after treating it.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM

hmm - next time I prewash something I'll have to open the machine up and see how much it suds. I've never seen any evidence of over sudsing so never gave it a thought. I do run it on low agitation/high spin.

I'm surprised some can't find it - because I live rural and I get it at Walmart. However Dawn changed the name, it's now Dawn Ultra Free & Gentle.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Thanks to all for the advice and tips! I think I'll try the Dawn-and-bathtub method, since I have a front loading washer. The quilt actually doesn't look awful with the bled-in color; after it dried it's a rather attractive beige. And since all the pieces cut from the yardage are now the same color it looks like it *could* have been a deliberate color choice. However, it's not what I intended so I know I'll wince every time I see it. Cross your fingers for me!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:16 AM

How much Dawn do you use for a domestic large capacity top loader machine? Do you measure out a certain amt?