Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
odd shaped flying geese >

odd shaped flying geese

odd shaped flying geese

Old 11-23-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Just a thought. Are you sure you didn't misinterpret the pattern and that the 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" doesn't include the sem allowance and therefore the FG would end up 4 x 6".
Yes that does include the seam allowance, the finished size will be 4" x 6". I didn't misread the pattern tho, lol, I designed it. I couldn't get the block to come out the size I wanted it without this one section being the odd size. At 4 x 6, it still is going to be a complicated size for the FG-like piece I want.

I did mis-speak tho, when I said it needs to fit into a space that size. It actually needs to be that size unfinished. As you said, it will end up fitting into a space that is 4 x 6.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Your templates would look like this:

You need to make a left and a right side triangle template - or reverse the triangle for half the side triangles.

When I make this sort of unit, I mark the fabric where I have the circles on the drawings. It helps to match up the pieces.

If I was making the skinny version - six inches tall by four inches wide - I would still leave about half an inch "tail" on the side triangles. It is just easier to work with than chopping it off 1/4 inch from the point of the triangle.
Attached Thumbnails fg-1.jpg   fg.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

When the pieces are put together:

There are "tails" or "ears" - the templates can be trimmed - a la Marti Michell - or the units can be trimmed after sewing them.

It is important to align the pieces at the CIRCLES!
Attached Thumbnails fg-2.jpg   fg-2-1.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-23-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Bearisgray, you are a marvel. Your instructions are so easy to see. Having all those little dots to show the inches is a big help.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:04 AM

My thought was to snowball them??????? It is wasteful but seems way more easier??
Old 11-24-2016, 07:05 AM

Thank you for showing so clearly how this is done bearisgray!! I had made the corner units as you suggested, but it's good to see that mine are done correctly! Since I have already cut the rectangles
for the unit, I may try attaching them first, then trimming. If that proves too difficult, then I will trim the center into the shape you show and then attach it.

As always you guys are awesome in coming to the rescue when I have put myself against a wall and need help over it!!! Hugs and smiles of appreciation!!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
For a quilt pattern I want to make, I need flying geese type block to fit a space that is 6.5" x 4.5". Because the 4.5" is taller than half the 6.5", I am having a hard time figuring out how to cut the two pieces to make the block ends for the unit.
I'm sure it's not as difficult as I'm finding it but Fred is making it impossible for me. LOL I need the help of all you wonderful math genius members!!
OK, I'll bite: What/Who is Fred?
Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I am adding more drawings to show how the pieces should be lined up for sewing.

Should have added them earlier.

Before sewing this type of unit, I usually do a quick flip open of the pieces to make sure that I have them lined up correctly.
Attached Thumbnails fg-3.jpg   fg-3-1.jpg   fg-4.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-24-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Two things...I know what fg means, but Fred? Why not just make your fg 3x6 finished and add a strip of background to fill in
Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
OK, I'll bite: What/Who is Fred?
I'm sorry Jo, I talk about it so much, I forget that many don't know. Fred is my fibromyalgia. I also have another live in guest, that's Arthur, my arthritis. Neither are good guests. They move in without asking, and soon start taking over the place. Arthur is just a grumpy old guy who complains when the weather changes and carries on when I do too much involving my neck, shoulders or lower back..... or most other joints. LOL

Fred, however, is a nasty jokester who fogs up my mind till I can't think or remember things. He also has terrible tantrums that put me down for days sometimes. He can make me so tired I can't lift my arms, and/or hurt so much I can't stand to wear my clothes. Other days, he can just be a pain in the..... anywhere and everywhere. LOL

So there you see, rather than complain about my fibro and arthritis, I just blame it all on Fred and Arthur!