Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd size blocks >

Odd size blocks

Odd size blocks

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Everyone of the quilts above are GORGEOUS! Wow. Thanks for yet another item on my to-do list!! Yep, gonna get the book, thanks MTS.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
Everyone of the quilts above are GORGEOUS! Wow. Thanks for yet another item on my to-do list!! Yep, gonna get the book, thanks MTS.
Thank you on behalf of the group. I always say if there is ever a fire here, the 2 quilts I HAVE to save are the one above and the one in my avatar (which was from our first Round Robin).

You understand there are no patterns in the book, right? It's all about coping strips, and creating secondary patterns. We had to come up with those crazy settings to make things work.

And even though some of them are still grid-based, you can see all these other things going on ....and it's not like you needed great technical skills. It was a lot of basic sewing, just being a bit adventurous. I have such fond memories of the whole project.

I wish I had $1 for every one of those books I've helped sell over the years. There are other authors that try to cover the same subject, but I think SS is the best one.

I look forward to seeing your future "solutions."
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I have = used scraps and orphan blocks to do a quilt for a niece. Turned out really nice. What questions do you have?
Whether to add just larger or smaller sashing as needed, or pieced sashing or extra blocks. Just wondered how others handled it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
yes a couple of them...i love quilts put together this way best! see if i can put a couple sample pics up...maybe ones in the works but you will see the idea.
my favorite one i do not have a picture of...probably why in my mind it is the best quilt i ever made...it was a santa clause quilt with all different sized blocks...gosh that quilt turned out magical! anyway...off of that and onto sampler pics :thumbup:
LOVE the quilts! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
About 7 years ago, my friends and I did a Round Robin inspired by the book "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig.

The rules were kind of convoluted, but at the end of 5 rounds, there were 14 blocks of all sizes for each participant - 4 made by the owner and the rest by the group. Mind you, the group only got to see one of those 4 original blocks when making theirs.

The point was to have 14 blocks of different sizes made by 5 people, and the only thing they had in common was ONE fabric, which they had to use - even if just a smidgen - in the blocks they made.

Like I said, convoluted.

The last round - well, the last person in the rotation had to make a quilt top - a finished quilt top (with borders, not quilted).

It was great fun, and a fabulous learning experience as we all had not been quilting very long.

Here are the quilts , picture taken on the day of the big reveal: (there are 7 so give me time to upload them_

I made the Lone Star for one of the participants, and I received the Dark Blue Graphic quilt. I was one happy camper
GREAT quilts! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
I've made several that way . . . I love quilts with different size blocks.

Here is one from several years ago I did (Fons and Porter Americana Sampler), and the poor thing is still sitting here with no binding. I am ashamed. :oops:
Fun quilt! You'll get the binding done - what with the storm coming and all! :)
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM

yes a couple of them...i love quilts put together this way best! see if i can put a couple sample pics up...maybe ones in the works but you will see the idea.
my favorite one i do not have a picture of...probably why in my mind it is the best quilt i ever made...it was a santa clause quilt with all different sized blocks...gosh that quilt turned out magical! anyway...off of that and onto sampler pics :thumbup:
Wow, your quilts are beautiful
Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

playing with different size blocks is a great time for a design wall, but if you don't have one just lay them out on a bed or the floor...when i did my first one i simply layed all of the different size blocks out, on the floor and started rearranging them with gaps here and there...when i liked the way they were i looked at the spaces around them that needed to be filled, then i made some blocks for some areas, like small pinwheels in a strip; some checkerboard squares, piano keys, flying geese, a couple plain squares...just ...'built a quilt' it was wonderful creative fun!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 AM

playing with different size blocks is a great time for a design wall, but if you don't have one just lay them out on a bed or the floor...when i did my first one i simply layed all of the different size blocks out, on the floor and started rearranging them with gaps here and there...when i liked the way they were i looked at the spaces around them that needed to be filled, then i made some blocks for some areas, like small pinwheels in a strip; some checkerboard squares, piano keys, flying geese, a couple plain squares...just ...'built a quilt' it was wonderful creative fun!
I had thought about checkerboards, but not pinwheels or piano keys. Good ideas - thanks!