Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
off-white and off-black >

off-white and off-black

off-white and off-black

Old 07-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Default off-white and off-black

Just as some "whites" seem to have a hint/undertone of another color in them, so do some "blacks."

I used to think that if the description said "black" - it would automatically match! That they sometimes do NOT match is painfully obvious with strong lighting.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Yes, painfully I have noticed this.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Learned this lesson long ago when trying to put together an outfit with black separates. It was darn near impossible to find a top and bottom that matched.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 AM

That reminds me of my then, young preppy daughter. I wore a pair of black slacks and a black top and she very politely told me "that my blacks don't match". Hope I did not embarrass her.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Yes, there are many variations of black.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM

I have been told that some blacks are made by combining leftover batches of different colors until it's dark enough to call it black. The owner of one of our LQS only stocks one brand of Amish black, which uses a black formula, not a combination of other colors. I only buy black there and have never had a problem with lots not matching.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Yes some blacks are really deep and dark... and others just look worn and washed out. Some just have that hint of some other color. Matching blacks can be quite challenging.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 PM

black dies are made from green or red base. In a strong light, try holding blacks up to differant colors and you can see the differances.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 PM

Personally, I love that there are different versions of white (assuming they are appropriately named). I love using "white" for the background of my quilts. I just think it is so incredibly beautiful & really displays the colors in my quilt nicely. But when I use more saturated colors, I like using a brighter white. When I use more muted/dusty colors, I prefer a warmer, creamier white like Moda's snow. And of course even more fun than both of those are white on white prints. Too much fun! I actually had a friend challenge me to make a "tone-on-tone" all white quilt. I might make one in miniature for her some day in my free time (ha! free time.), but meanwhile I will continue appreciating how different whites interact with the other colors in my quilt. The only issue is when I fail to buy sufficient fabric on my first shop. The variations from bolt to bolt of the exact same fabric (in white or any color) can be beyond maddening.

The same seems to hold true for black. I can pick a black that is more grey for muddy boots or one that has hints of other colors for an appliqued dress. I hadn't heard of the Amish Black fabric, but I really like the idea. I may have to try that in a future quilt. It sounds intriguing.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 PM

At present using moda solids. I've had similiar trouble matching their bright blue. Luckily no one will know the one in the border is as shade different than in the centre blocks. Don't tell anyone. I did match exactly the other two blues.