Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Official" quilt blocks for each state in the USA >

"Official" quilt blocks for each state in the USA

"Official" quilt blocks for each state in the USA

Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
There was a pattern published by McCalls called 'Covering America' a couple of years ago that has blocks for each state - they aren't all stars, and they don't correspond to the one that rebeljane posted above but might give you some more ideas if you are planning a project. I'm working on this one at the moment (done half of the blocks) and am really enjoying the variations between each block.
If you are interested in seeing what this looks like finished, check out my post entitled: My most challenging quilt to date - USA

http://www.quiltandsewshop.com/produ...erica-Pattern/
If you are interested in seeing what this looks like finished, check out my post entitled: My most challenging quilt to date - USA

Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM

I saw a block for West Virginia, which is on my bucket list to do .
Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM

P3designs.com has beautiful state blocks. They are appliqué done in the style of a Baltimore album quilt. The block for Mass. Is the Mayflower with a wreath of flowers and birds around it. There are 25 blocks in each quilt. I bought the first 25, actually DH got them for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Most of the other states are finished now. They just had 25 when I got mine. The blocks are gorgeous. I don't remember what is on all of them but TX has the Alamo on it, Montana has bears and trees, Maine has a lighthouse, and lobsters and other things in a wreath around the lighthouse, Alaska has Moose. It is well worth looking at the sight just to look at the blocks. I love them.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Luray831 View Post
Hi to all. I'm curious....I see patterns for different star patterns referencing a state in our Union. Do all states have an "official" or specific quilt block (even if it is not a star), and if so, how do I locate this information and the patterns? My internet searches have been unsuccessful thus far. Thanks to all you knowledgeable people in advance.
Try This WEB SITE - http://www.quilterscache.com/Alphabe...stPageS_Z.html
It has all the State's blocks... in alphabetical order too!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I have never considered there to be an " official" state block, if you mean legally adopted. If I were making a state quilt and wanted a representive block, I would look for those printed several years ago -like in the 40's or 50's or whenever they were first printed. Several years ago Barbara Brackman wrote a series of articles for Quilters Newsletter Magazine on state blocks. This might be the best a source for you to check.
I remember the articles from QNM and it was fun. I don't think that there was an official designations. I think over time blocks may have gotten a state name because either it was used in a quilt by someone in that state and in putting them together it isn't unusual for several people in more than one area to create a block-especially when they were all being done by hand. Some may have been created for a special occasion such as statehood or commemorating something related to that state. I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if any of this is repetitious.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Now you got me thinking; any state bird or state flower quilt blocks?
I brought some old quilt blocks years ago that had the state bird and flower for 48 states. Unfortunately, they were filthy and fell apart when washed.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
Rebeljane, those are beautiful, I bookmarked. Thank you! I would love to make a quilt of all star different star blocks.
I got an error every time I tried to download these patterns. Did I do something wrong or is there a problem with the site?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
BellaOnline has the West Virginia block I've done in cross stitch. Beautiful
A few yrs ago WV actually created several blocks with special scenic places around the state. I can't remember all of them, but they have a white background and the design is all in black, I know there is a covered bridge, a bear and I'm not sure what all the others have. I got several sets of them at home along with WV fabric, its on my to do list of things I'll get around to someday.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Now you got me thinking; any state bird or state flower quilt blocks?
All states have the flower and bird and some if not all have a tree. I've seen the transfers for flowers and birds alot in different craft/fabric stores so I'm sure they could be found online.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jane3 View Post
Try This WEB SITE - http://www.quilterscache.com/Alphabe...stPageS_Z.html
It has all the State's blocks... in alphabetical order too!
Love this site..... I can think of a thousand quilts using this site :0