Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh boo hoo!

Oh boo hoo!

I have a Pfaff 1222 freearm machine that I bought when my boys were babies -- probably in 1974. It has followed me through the years of stretch-n-sew, a lifetime if hemming things for my 5'2" self, and many years of clothes and table linen creations and on to the last about 14 years when I have also quilted.

After I retired in 2010 I discovered that the lever that tacks and reverses the buttonhole function seemed to be jammed, and also that it didn't revert to completely straight stitching after doing zig-jag. My local sewing machine repair shop finally said it (buttonholer) cannot be fixed as it's buried under the mechanisms. (Of course I just had to buttonhole then, and I make them "freehand".)

This Christmas Eve we arrived at our out-of-town destination a bit early, and saw a sewing machine shop that was open. The two gentlemen in there had worked on Pfaff for years, and told me what was really going on (I now think my local shop hadn't a clue). It amounts to a rod in a shaft sort of thing that is central to the whole whatzit, and which are working their way apart, and it cannot, indeed, be saved. They said the parts were coming apart even if I didn't realize it yet.

So after reading this very wordy post I thank you for participating in what feels almost like the loss of a friend. I do think I will buy another [plastic??!] Pfaff, a simple one that runs about $500. At least I will still have my integrated walking foot, even tho all the other specialty feet cost about $33 each. I meant this to be my last Pfaff (in 1974), but am not quitting sewing just yet... Thanks for listening.

It's sad to lose an old friend like your Pfaff ... she was certainly an oldy and a goodie. But the next good news is that it doesn't take long to fall in love with a new machine! I wish you well with your new "baby".

I have a Pfaff 7570 that I have had for years and will be lost if something happens to it. The guy that has a repair shop told me that the 7570 is a workhorse. I hope you find a machine you like as well as your 1222. Good luck.

I feel for you. You had a long friendship, and, I hope, a lot of good memories. I hope you find a machine you like soon. I love my Pfaff and sure would miss her.

Dina

Power Poster
    I understand your feeling of loss. Hope you enjoy it's replacement as much as the one you have.

I feel your pain too....good luck...
    Buzzy Bee

Power Poster
    It is sad to lose a trusted sewing machine friend. We all feel that way about our machines that have been with us over the years. You are not alone and hopefully you can find a new friend.

That's awful. Good luck with your new machine.

I have a Pfaff 1471 bought new in 1986 and it is still running great. I dread the day it gives up, it has been a workhorse.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    I have a Pfaff 1222 freearm machine that I bought when my boys were babies -- probably in 1974. It has followed me through the years of stretch-n-sew, a lifetime if hemming things for my 5'2" self, and many years of clothes and table linen creations and on to the last about 14 years when I have also quilted.

After I retired in 2010 I discovered that the lever that tacks and reverses the buttonhole function seemed to be jammed, and also that it didn't revert to completely straight stitching after doing zig-jag. My local sewing machine repair shop finally said it (buttonholer) cannot be fixed as it's buried under the mechanisms. (Of course I just had to buttonhole then, and I make them "freehand".)

This Christmas Eve we arrived at our out-of-town destination a bit early, and saw a sewing machine shop that was open. The two gentlemen in there had worked on Pfaff for years, and told me what was really going on (I now think my local shop hadn't a clue). It amounts to a rod in a shaft sort of thing that is central to the whole whatzit, and which are working their way apart, and it cannot, indeed, be saved. They said the parts were coming apart even if I didn't realize it yet.

So after reading this very wordy post I thank you for participating in what feels almost like the loss of a friend. I do think I will buy another [plastic??!] Pfaff, a simple one that runs about $500. At least I will still have my integrated walking foot, even tho all the other specialty feet cost about $33 each. I meant this to be my last Pfaff (in 1974), but am not quitting sewing just yet... Thanks for listening.
    most of your feet will fit the new machine...and don't overlook ebay or just replacing it...i bought mine the same time you did and i loved it and used it to death...it was completely worn out when i replaced it with a pfaff 1475, which is still going strong and should outlast me.... check ebay also for other specialty feet...people lose track and then sell them later, sometimes...

You may even be able to find another machine exactly like yours only in way better condition on ebay...give it a try! I would also try Goodwill or Craigslist in your area. (If you decide you want to try finding another like you have).
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

You were very fortunate to have so much use out of your 'last Pfaff'. My 'last Pfaff' has only lasted 6 years (just enough to be out of warranty) and I'm afraid that means there really won't be another one. Hope you find a nice replacement.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a Pfaff Expression 3.0 in March and am already deeply attached. I hope it lasts as long as yours has.
    As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Blog Entries
    I so understand! I lost my old lady Pfaff last spring ... I replaced it with a Viking Sapphire and am happy but I did love that machine and am still wondering if she could have been saved..the shop where I took her told me the parts needed to fix her were no longer made.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Oh I can so relate! When I traded in (okay I got $50 for it and it didn't work that well) my last machine, my LQS had to give me a tissue. DH thought I'd finally lost it but I sat there and remembered the baby clothes, the little dresses, the teddy bears and the moves all over the world with that machine. I felt like I was losing my best friend.

The good news is your new machine will hopefully become a good friend too!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

My hubby bought me a 1222 about that same time and I used it until I had a similar problem. The repairman said that the comtrol mechanism which goes from straight stitch to zig zag etc. was froze up. He said it would cost me $300 to fix it and he didn't think it was worth it. That day the shop had a used 1222 that was in good running order so I bought it for $150. I do have a couple of others (both Pfaff) but I still have the original one even if it won't sew good. Its like loosing an old friend.
    Lorraine

I am so sorry to read that your good and loyal friend has passed over to the great sewing machine heaven...I hope that you have a wonderful relationship with your new friend.

See if the old feet fit the new machine...if not, perhaps they will allow a trade-in allowance for the replacements.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have a pfaff 7570- one of the last WORKHORSES that was made in Germany still.. I love mine so much that I whined the week it was gone that I was without my baby (getting cleaned and serviced) that hubby got me another 7570 just in case for Christmas.... Check Ebay... Last I looked they had quite a few on auction.. Good Luck....

I have a Singer 2020 that I bought in1977 that has the same problem, it will switch from straight stich to ziz zig while I sewing. they tell me it can't be fix anymore. so it's stored and my Brothers 350 has taken it's place in the cabinet.

That's so sad - and at Christmas!!! Hope you find a proper replacement. The hard part is that they don't make things like they used to.
    Michelle

Oh so sorry for your loss, but hope you will find a new and trusted friend soon.

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    You may even be able to find another machine exactly like yours only in way better condition on ebay...give it a try! I would also try Goodwill or Craigslist in your area. (If you decide you want to try finding another like you have).

This is a good suggestion.

I have an old mechanical Viking I bought in 1987 or so. I have the feet, the even feed foot, and the knowledge that allows me to be 'comfortable' using it.
    Over the last couple of years I have purchased, mostly from ebay, the exact same machine. They no longer make 'parts' for this model, so I got one for parts, and that just expanded.
    I got them for under $100 each, including shipping. They all work, and I told my daughter when her cheap Singer dies, which past experience tells me it will, there's a Viking here for her.
    I went a little overboard - I have 7. My original cost $800, so I have less than $1500 in what I consider an investment in a good solid machine
    Last edited by RugosaB; 12-29-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Sorry about your Pfaff...good luck with the new one!
    Lynn

I think I have the exact same machine. Still working great! I don't want a "plastic" machine like they are making now.
    They sure don't make them like they use to.

I emphasize with your loss. That lasted you a very long time. I hope you enjoy whatever newer machine you choose. Try to test some and see what feels right. Some might feel like your old one did, and others just might not jive with you.

Try to recycle your old one for the metals. I'd hate to see someone all excited about getting a good price on your old machine for it to only last a bit for them.

I also have spent many, many hours shortening and rebuilding clothing (along with making from scratch), and after all these years, I am kind of tired of it and would just like to quilt.

May your sewing be smooth with whatever machine you decide to get!!!
    Lenette

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast