Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh  I need HELP!! >

Oh I need HELP!!

Oh I need HELP!!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM

I have a quilt that needs to be done in less than 3 weeks...I have tried and tried to get my machine to do FMQ on it and all I do is break needles...I have tried every different needle I can think of that I have...I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 850 and I am ready to throw it in the trash!! Any suggestions??
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Buy quilting needles.
Originally Posted by Cindy2201
I have a quilt that needs to be done in less than 3 weeks...I have tried and tried to get my machine to do FMQ on it and all I do is break needles...I have tried every different needle I can think of that I have...I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 850 and I am ready to throw it in the trash!! Any suggestions??
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM

check that the tension isn't too tight that it strains the needle also check that the needle is in right and all the way up in the shaft. If you have a local viking dealer you can call them for suggestions of other things to try.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Try slowing down your movements.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM

I had the same trouble...I slowed down the movements and put on some soft music or a story...and breathe. =)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM

I have used 4 quilting needles to no avail...they all broke..I went to jeans needles and even tried a universal one...still the same...The tension I may try next,,,it has always worked fine before but it's worth a try...I tried my viking dealer earlier and got no answer...might have to wait until Tuesday when I'm home again...
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM

If you can slow down the machine it might help. I have an adjustment on my Viking SE and it works much better....I can't really be of much help since I can't get my machine's tension adjusted right to do it either, but I have read others say that slower and learning to go with the speed works.

If that doesn't work out...I have been learning to do some patterns using the foot and they come out pretty good. There is always SID (stitch in the ditch) and XXX's.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 PM

I haven't done FMQ but I have done free motion embroidery.

Are you certain you are moving the needle fast enough? In free motion embroidery, the most common cause of broken needles is slow needle speed, which causes the fabric to pull on the needle when it is in the fabric; eventually the needle bends, hits the throatplate and breaks.

Mentally, the hardest thing at first is putting the pedal to the floor because it feels like it is out of control and the embroidery design will be ruined. You just have to force yourself to floor the pedal and *not* try to move your hands that fast. You want your hands to be moving slower than the needle.

I'm not sure if this applies to FMQ, since I've never done it but in thinking it out, I can't see why it would not.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Move your speed control to medium!! I have the same machine!!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the help! I slowed the machine down to medium and did just fine!! Not one more broken needle!! Now to figure out how to quilt the middle and get the binding on! Thanks again!!