Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh I wish I had learned quilting before geometry! Help needed. >

Oh I wish I had learned quilting before geometry! Help needed.

Oh I wish I had learned quilting before geometry! Help needed.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 AM

laurajbr, when I graduated high school (60 years ago this year) I could recite all the theorems as we were required to memorize them for tests. We couldn't use the book to look it up. As I had no occasion to use geometry in the years after my formal schooling, I couldn't recite even one by the time I got out of college.

I didn't become interested in making a quilt until about 20 years ago. I feel for you. Good luck to you.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:11 AM

I have found the easiest way to make HST is Bonnie Hunter's method with the Easy Angle ruler. Just 1/2" to the finished size you want and cut strips of the two colors. Stack right sides together and using the Easy Angle ruler, cut triangles. They are already stacked and ready to sew. Then there is no bias on the outside edges. If they need squared up, use Eleanor Burns triangle square ruler. Easy peesy! And I have my charm squares ready to make that hunter's star quilt the Jenny Doan way - love that quilt!!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Isn't it amazing that subjects we learned in school can actually be used when we are adults? I quilt, but there are times when the math about does me in; that's when I approach my husband for solutions.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Isn't it amazing that subjects we learned in school can actually be used when we are adults?
Yes, but I am still waiting for the need to hurl my bulk over a vault or do a summer-sault on the uneven bars. Unless there is a nasty animal chasing me, I doubt that I will ever need to apply what I had to do in gym class. lol
Old 03-13-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Isn't it amazing that subjects we learned in school can actually be used when we are adults? I quilt, but there are times when the math about does me in; that's when I approach my husband for solutions.
My DD is my go-to for answers.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:16 PM

So many wise women, in one place!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM

she starts with 5" squares, does the sewing and trims them down, I doubt you can do it without trimming them down
Old 03-13-2016, 03:39 PM

Thank you all! Great resources.
(I am not afraid of bias, I did bridal sewing to put myself through college. I gave it up as soon as I had a degree, but I am confident with fabric, and starch!)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
I had no idea that quilting would bring me to so many story problems in a math class.
i want to make HST that measure 2 3/4 inches. I want to use the method of sewing all around 2 squares and cutting through the center to get 4 HST.

how big do the squares need to be?

the back story is that I want to try my hero, Jenny of Missouri quilts, hunters star quilt, and her lovely video does not spell this out, and I am a nervous nelly beginner. By trial and error I have created 8 too small HST, oops, and 4 much too large, salvageable, but wasteful.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KtiLK_xJk
( now in my 50's I would like to go sit in on middle school math classes. I find that I would now very much like to know some theorems!)
I love this pattern of Jenny's! I have the the fabric chosen and in a project box. She also has published this pattern in her Block magazine, Holiday Vol. 2, Issue 6. When she is making those half square triangles, she starts out with a 5" print square and pairs it up with a 5" white square. She then sews those 2 (print & white) together on all four sides (which is the method you wanted to use), then cuts them diagonally across two ways to get the smaller half square triangles. Then she trims those down to 2-3/4" with her ruler. so it seems that starting with the 5" squares is what you would be starting with. Seems where is very little waste. I'd try it with some scrap material to be sure that's what you want. (I subscribe to Jenny's Block magazine; the latest issue I just received actually had 7 patterns I want to make!)

Last edited by ShirlR; 03-13-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: verbage
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM

I have started making the Hunter Star quilt according to Jenny 's directions but because of other projects, I am cutting and sewing in small groups when I have a few minutes. I do starch with Best Press but not until I have made the small HST. Having sewed clothing for about 50 years, I watch the grain of fabric. HST made Jenny's way DO have bias edges but the straight of grain is on the diagonal seam which I press open with my fingers first before using BP and my iron to finish. The bias edges are not stretched as much as in other ways I have tried. It may take a tiny bit longer than the usual ways but I do not notice it because I love the finished product.

I hope this is clear enough.....

My DH says HE notices that I am not grousing as much--- Hallelujah !!