Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh My! FabricDepot!!!

Oh My! FabricDepot!!!

Was in Portland Oregon yesterday and my DDIL took e to this store. Every quilt notion ever made I think! huge! lots of good fabrics, Moda, RJR, Riley Blale, Timeless treasures, precuts, Cuddle. I thought I died and went to heaven. Plus they have a website. Came right home to Nevada, and placed an order. First order was an additional 10% off the already 25% off. Joann's can't hold a candle or even a match to this place. Never saw anything like it even in California!

Blog Entries
    I agree, it's a wonderful store, almost overwhelming. They have great online service too
    Jill

It is one of my favorite on line places to shop.

I totally agree - Fabric Depot is such a wonderful place and it is so easy to get lost there. When people are headed there for the first time, I always advise them to eat a good-sized meal before they go, wear comfy shoes, bring water, and plan on going at least 20% over budget!!! It is no surprise that my last two birthdays have involved a trip to Fabric Depot to play.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful experience! wish there was one near me.... or maybe not [too tempting]
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    if it's that good, I have to check them out! thanks
    I quilt for my sanity!

Blog Entries
    It is pretty awesome, and as earlier stated, their online service is very good. People from Seattle come by the busload to shop, and that's 160 miles. I'm surprised Seattle doesn't have a similar store. Maybe FD should expand!

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great site, thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    It's definitely on my list for next time we're in Portland. I'll convince DH we need to take an early flight so I can have the day at Fabric Depot before heading for the coast. And maybe bring an empty suitcase. Could also pick up a nice hostess gift for our niece where we always stay. She's a wonderful quilter who has been a great inspiration to me. Now I can hardly wait. Maybe I should look at airlines and flights after posting this.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 01-31-2012 at 10:58 AM.

One thing that many people don't realize is that if you buy 6 (or maybe it's 5?) of an identical item you can go to the wholesale window and get 40% off. Also you can buy a whole bolt and get 40% off. The summer outdoor sale has lots of fabric marked way down, and there are frequent sales where all quilting fabric is 35% off. But the best part of all is that there is such a huge selection of every major fabric line.

I love Fabric Depot and go there when we are in Portland to visit DD. Everyone should know they have a great online store. TONS of sale fabrics -- great name brands for $4 and $5 a yard. Postage is very reasonable. Check it out.

Blog Entries
    Oh man! I would be in soooo much trouble!!!

Blog Entries
    If it's that good, I'll have to check them out! thanks for telling us.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Ok, thanks! I had forgotten all about http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php and now I am on their website, cruising their deals! I have ordered online from them in the past and always pleased with price, selection and service.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Wow! enjoy-will check it on line...
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    It's definitely on my list for next time we're in Portland. I'll convince DH we need to take an early flight so I can have the day at Fabric Depot before heading for the coast. And maybe bring an empty suitcase. Could also pick up a nice hostess gift for our niece where we always stay. She's a wonderful quilter who has been a great inspiration to me. Now I can hardly wait. Maybe I should look at airlines and flights after posting this.
    And it is fairly close to the airport ~ 122nd & Stark. About 10 blocks south of I84, pretty easy to find.

To give some of you gals/guys the size. The building is an old (large) Kmart store, it is nothing but fabrics, notions, books, etc., etc... BUT it is not just for us quilters, there is also home decor fabrics, polyester blends, though those sections are not as large as the 'cottons'. It is wonderful to just walk around a drool with all the choices.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Thanks so much for the tip and the directions too. I'm going to be in Portland on business in October, so I've already put it on my calendar.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I was lucky to get in Portland for the machine quilting expo and it was the same time the store had their fabulous sale. 25-35% off everything. The notions department is fantastic. Their buyer goes to many independent suppliers and keeps the latest and greatest on the shelf.

I also liked that I could take the train and walk less than 1/2 mile to get to the store. Did not need to rent a car just for that. Of course I would not have liked to have bought a huge bag of material and then walk back to the train.

I hyperventilated the first time I went to it!! It's an AWESOME store!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Yep, it is a really cool place and they do a great job with their on line orders. You can join their online list and get their emails every week.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

FD is out of this world. We are going to Seattle next week for the NW Garden Show and can't hit Portland but can anyone recommend some stores in Seattle? We are staying by Pike Place but will have a car. I'm specifically looking for Kaffe but, you know .... love it all.

Just went to the site. All I can say is WOW.Thank You for this site

There are four of us gals that make a trip to FD once a year. Also don't forget to check out The Powell Book Store. You can get great bargains on used quilt books. The store takes up a whole city block and you can take the train to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
    I totally agree - Fabric Depot is such a wonderful place and it is so easy to get lost there. When people are headed there for the first time, I always advise them to eat a good-sized meal before they go, wear comfy shoes, bring water, and plan on going at least 20% over budget!!! It is no surprise that my last two birthdays have involved a trip to Fabric Depot to play.
    LOL Sounds like my advice when I take a group to a quilt show!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Was in Portland Oregon yesterday and my DDIL took e to this store. Every quilt notion ever made I think! huge! lots of good fabrics, Moda, RJR, Riley Blale, Timeless treasures, precuts, Cuddle. I thought I died and went to heaven. Plus they have a website. Came right home to Nevada, and placed an order. First order was an additional 10% off the already 25% off. Joann's can't hold a candle or even a match to this place. Never saw anything like it even in California!
    What is their web address ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast