Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and

Me thinks it is a marketing ploy by Clotilde to buy their fabric storage boards. I've had some fabric since 2005 stored in a plastic bin and it is fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Me thinks it is a marketing ploy by Clotilde to buy their fabric storage boards. I've had some fabric since 2005 stored in a plastic bin and it is fine.
    My first thought was "what were the selling"?

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.
    Ditto! Anyway, I think I'll take my chances with brown spots when the odds I'll get a mouse, a moth or other downer are much higher
    I'm with Julie R...I've never had a problem storing in plastic and I wouldn't want to take the chance of other downers either.

Blog Entries
    I'v purchased many a quilt kit in a plastic bag. I still have some that I have had for several years. No spots there.

I just received a batch of lovely kits from my DH for Christmas, all of them arrived in plastic bags. He ordered them from the Connecting Threads folks. Over the years I haven't had any problems. Wonder what they were talking about: brown spots? Input, I need input :) (does anybody remember the robot No. 5 Alive?)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    My first thought was "what were the selling"?
    Hahahaha me too!! We sure are a cynical bunch lol :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by mom2boyz
    I just read on the Clotilde hints column that you should not store fabric in plastic as it might create brown spots on the fabric. It didn't explain further so I don't know if it means all plastic such as in containers, zip lock bags etc. Have any of you had problems of brown spots or anything else by storing in plastic?
    I had never given a 2nd thought about the fabric, yarn, stitchery, Beanie Babies etc. I have stored in plastic bins until I read this. It kind of scared me because just this week end while at a craft store another customer was looking for cardboard type boxes to store things under her bed and was all panicky because all she could find was plastic and she DID NOT want plastic - I didn't ask her why. But I think I will just leave well enough alone and keep my "junk" in the plastic bins. I have had no problems so far.

Cotton is a natural fabric and needs to "breath", which is why you aren't supposed to store clothes in plastic either. That being said I store clothes and fabric in plastic all the time and have never had an issue.

Many of these 'old wives tales' began back before modern materials were manufactured. Therefore, I think that they may have been accurate at one time, but perhaps aren't any longer, as we've change the chemistry so much.

I do believe that fabrics need to breathe, as I've seen dry-rot and molds myself plenty of times on a wide variety of things, not just fabrics. Coming from TX, were there is a constant high humidity and very high heat, this may be our contributing factor (remember, it even gets in our walls here, if not cared for).

If you haven't had a problem to date, you probably won't. But, it's a choice that we each have to make - whether to believe these tales are viable in today's market, or not. And whether we're willing to take a chance :)

Debbie in Austin

P.S. Reminds me of the tale of sun fading...it can happen if you have older windows, and most are wise to avoid it, but since I have the 'newfangled' energy windows that don't let in those harmful rays, I've never seen any fading of my fabrics, threads, carpets or draperies...so it doesn't concern me in the least.

I wonder if the people who built the pyramids worried about the effects of erosion? I am making quilts, not pyramids, and if they don't last forever, it doesn't matter!
    BTW - just went out to the garage, checked my vintage crochet and embroidery - in plastic, garage gets wet, dry humid, cold and they are all just fine. Well, they smell a bit dusty, but no spots!

I have fabric that has been in plastic tubs for nearly 11 years and it is still just fine. I have on occasion looked through the tubs so they haven't been sealed in there the whole time.

I store my fabric in plastic totes and have some in zip lock bags and no problems either

I put mine in plastic too and haven't had a problem. I wonder if the brown spots were from a mouse?

I, too, had fabrics in plastic bins for 20+ years--when I sorted them this summer they were absolutely like new--no smell, no mold, no nothing. Like many of the rest, I will continue to use them. I did buy special archive storage boxes for my 2 antique quilts, but one was appraised at $2500.00 so I thought it deserved its own storage box.

I read years ago that you should not feed your dogs from a plastic dish. There is a bleaching action going on, that is why their noses lighten up over time. Also, they might have changed the way they are made and that no longer applies.
    You can always line those totes before storing fabric in them.

Has anyone ever opened a plastic bag or tote and smelled something that smells like chemicals? That's the plastic releasing gases. If those gases remain trapped inside the container, they may, depending on the dyes used and fiber content, alter the fabric inside or its appearance. That's why lining the container doesn't necessarily help. I don't think Clotilde's just made this up.

Blog Entries
    I used to store a major part of my stash in large plastics but after travelling a bit and storing suitcases, thought why am I storing suitcases in suitcases? So........in went the fabrics and when I am out of storage , I pop into thrift stores and buy suitcases--nice ones, small medium or large for a VERY reasonable price, wash them, then when dried store more fabrics. I separated them by color -but now future stash is quite messy-- and the suitcase rollers and handles make it very convenient to move without to much strain. No trouble with gremlins so far and it's been many yrs.

And the suitcases are "breathable".

Blog Entries
    I have some fabric that was stored for years in plastic tubs. It is fine.
    I cannot say the same for fabric that was stored in cardboard boxes. That gets dirty when the corners wear or the box breaks or when mice find their way in.
    Stick with tubs that have covers that lock and you should be fine.

Plastic does not breath so if any moisture is on the fabric or anything related it could mold the entire project or the entire box or bag.

I have heard that plastic bags, containers that are air tight do not allow any air movement and dry out the fabric. If the fabric is dry it might tear or get holes in it easy. I don't know if that is correct or not, just what I have heard.

The only time I have experienced "brown spots" in regard to plastic bags is in throwing some old knit-type tops in them (the clothes were clean, just getting rid of then temporarily - Hah!) and after sitting in the back of a closet for awhile, I opened the bags and noticed that sweat spots or if there were any imbedded grease spots in the items that there were permanent brown spots (couldn't even bleach them out). I also had put them in cheap shopping type plastic bags. Other than that, I have used plastic for years and haven't experienced problems.
    Marysewfun

I've been using plastic for years and no problem here.

Blog Entries
    I know from experience that storing clothes/material in cardboard boxes will cause brown spots because of the acid in them. BUT I'm wondering if plastic leaf bags are the problem and not plastic bins? On the other hand, I was given some material scraps recently when a lady cleaned out her storage shed. The black plastic bags were actually cumbling apart and all the material was just fine. I know I would never store a quilt in a plastic bag - but everything else...????

Blog Entries
    I had one of my childhood dresses hanging in my closet for years in a dry clearner's plastic bag. When my DD wanted to wear the dress we discovered brown spots on the dress from the plastic. The dry cleaner couldn't get them out so he suggested for me to let him wash it, I wouldn't lose anything, the dress couldn't be worn with the spots. The spots came out and the dress looked good as new. The fabric was synthetic so I doubt the spots would have come out of cotton. I wouldn't store fabric in bags for long term. I've never had a problem with the plastic bins. The white acid free cardboard boxes are perfect. Wal Mart sells them cheap.

I have not had brown spots on fabric storing it in plastic bins but my friend didn't dry some of her fabric fully and she had brown spots. Think it might come from from the laundry soap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast