Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OH NO!!!!!!!!!  I use plastic for alot of things and >

OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and

OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and

Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Has anyone ever opened a plastic bag or tote and smelled something that smells like chemicals? That's the plastic releasing gases. If those gases remain trapped inside the container, they may, depending on the dyes used and fiber content, alter the fabric inside or its appearance. That's why lining the container doesn't necessarily help. I don't think Clotilde's just made this up.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM

I used to store a major part of my stash in large plastics but after travelling a bit and storing suitcases, thought why am I storing suitcases in suitcases? So........in went the fabrics and when I am out of storage , I pop into thrift stores and buy suitcases--nice ones, small medium or large for a VERY reasonable price, wash them, then when dried store more fabrics. I separated them by color -but now future stash is quite messy-- and the suitcase rollers and handles make it very convenient to move without to much strain. No trouble with gremlins so far and it's been many yrs.

And the suitcases are "breathable".
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

I have some fabric that was stored for years in plastic tubs. It is fine.
I cannot say the same for fabric that was stored in cardboard boxes. That gets dirty when the corners wear or the box breaks or when mice find their way in.
Stick with tubs that have covers that lock and you should be fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Plastic does not breath so if any moisture is on the fabric or anything related it could mold the entire project or the entire box or bag.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM

I have heard that plastic bags, containers that are air tight do not allow any air movement and dry out the fabric. If the fabric is dry it might tear or get holes in it easy. I don't know if that is correct or not, just what I have heard.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM

The only time I have experienced "brown spots" in regard to plastic bags is in throwing some old knit-type tops in them (the clothes were clean, just getting rid of then temporarily - Hah!) and after sitting in the back of a closet for awhile, I opened the bags and noticed that sweat spots or if there were any imbedded grease spots in the items that there were permanent brown spots (couldn't even bleach them out). I also had put them in cheap shopping type plastic bags. Other than that, I have used plastic for years and haven't experienced problems.
Marysewfun
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM

I've been using plastic for years and no problem here.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM

I know from experience that storing clothes/material in cardboard boxes will cause brown spots because of the acid in them. BUT I'm wondering if plastic leaf bags are the problem and not plastic bins? On the other hand, I was given some material scraps recently when a lady cleaned out her storage shed. The black plastic bags were actually cumbling apart and all the material was just fine. I know I would never store a quilt in a plastic bag - but everything else...????
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I had one of my childhood dresses hanging in my closet for years in a dry clearner's plastic bag. When my DD wanted to wear the dress we discovered brown spots on the dress from the plastic. The dry cleaner couldn't get them out so he suggested for me to let him wash it, I wouldn't lose anything, the dress couldn't be worn with the spots. The spots came out and the dress looked good as new. The fabric was synthetic so I doubt the spots would have come out of cotton. I wouldn't store fabric in bags for long term. I've never had a problem with the plastic bins. The white acid free cardboard boxes are perfect. Wal Mart sells them cheap.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM

I have not had brown spots on fabric storing it in plastic bins but my friend didn't dry some of her fabric fully and she had brown spots. Think it might come from from the laundry soap.