Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no! Stripes the wrong way! >

Oh no! Stripes the wrong way!

Oh no! Stripes the wrong way!

Old 07-16-2015, 06:48 PM

I think I would just put all the stripes that go horizontal in one row, and all the ones who go vertically in another row.

That makes it look like you meant to do it!

Yes, I've done it, too.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 PM

So what I've had to do is, if you can picture a chevron in front of you.....the top left and bottom left stripes are vertical and the top right and bottom right stripes are horizontal. I think that looked better than both top pieces vertical and both bottom pieces horizontal or vice versa. They sort of look like oblongs or parallelograms or whatever! As for the other nasty fabric..hmmm lets just say I have some interestingly gravity challenging sea waves happening! Not going to mention it to DD or GS and just see how long it takes for them to notice! I'm mixing all the different blue chevrons together so none the same lie side by side so I'm hoping all will get absorbed in the medley of shades and patterns. haha...fingers crossed. Will post pics when the top is assembled.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

I had the same experience. It is something you generally only do once. Next time working with stripes you will remember.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 PM

I would be willing to bet that they will make a really interesting quilt. I think to get them all one way you would have to fussy cut all your HST's, what a pain that would be
Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 PM

I panicked when I did the same thing with a chevron quilt using fabric with wording. That is, until I realized that as the other half of the HST's were white, all I had to do was use some as a top row and the others as a bottom row of the chevron. The wording was still horizontal except that half were on the top right of the HST and the others on the bottom left. I used the method as described by merrylouw.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 PM

I want you to share what you learned from your mistake so I can learn from it too. Also I want to see the picture of your grandson and his quilt. I bet both are darling! Often time what we think is a disaster is not even noticeable to others!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
When you are cutting striped HSTs from squares:
1. Lay your squares out with the stripes all facing the same way.
2. Cut each square in half on the diagonal from top left to bottom right.
This must always be done on the same angle to have the stripes the same in all HSTs.
Melanie Rudy that is what I did: cut my squares out and marking my grain so each pair of squares were the same "grain-wise" and then ruled all my diagonals from left to right and cut accordingly...I'm a bit OCD so tend to lay things out the same way, cut from the same angle etc. Sort of scratching my head trying to understand how this should have made it alright. Feeling a bit daft at this point...have I missed a step cos I still ended up with my dilemma.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Melanie Rudy that is what I did: cut my squares out and marking my grain so each pair of squares were the same "grain-wise" and then ruled all my diagonals from left to right and cut accordingly...I'm a bit OCD so tend to lay things out the same way, cut from the same angle etc. Sort of scratching my head trying to understand how this should have made it alright. Feeling a bit daft at this point...have I missed a step cos I still ended up with my dilemma.
Well, unfortunately that's your problem. Because of the way you have to rotate your blocks to make the chevron, you actually needed to make half of your blocks reversed - cut on the other diagonal. That would have given you the correct blocks for the top right/lower left pieces.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Well, unfortunately that's your problem. Because of the way you have to rotate your blocks to make the chevron, you actually needed to make half of your blocks reversed - cut on the other diagonal. That would have given you the correct blocks for the top right/lower left pieces.
Krista thank you for pointing this out. I have done chevrons and you are absolutely right. I was only thinking of how to get all HSTs the same, but not the chevron placement.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Thanks kristakz, I understand now and will remember for the next quilt....2 more grandchildren quilts to do!