Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oil Goes Where? in Squeaky Janome >

Oil Goes Where? in Squeaky Janome

Oil Goes Where? in Squeaky Janome

Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm working on the New Year's Day mystery quilt and my machine has developed a squeak. I can't tell whether it is in the upper or lower part, and it is more pronounced at low speeds (it does keep time with the needle movement). I have a Janome 6600 and the instruction book tells how to clean it, but nothing about oil. Keeping in mind Karla's oil adventure, I'm reluctant to just go ahead and add oil. Has anyone ever oiled this machine? Where did you add oil? I've cleaned like crazy, but that didn't eliminate the squeak, just lint.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Read you book carefully, I finally found a one line in my manual for my Janome that says NOT to oil it..

Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 PM

The only place you are to put oil for the Janome 6600 is on the little felt pad that is under the bobbin case holder.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltngal
The only place you are to put oil for the Janome 6600 is on the little felt pad that is under the bobbin case holder.
Thanks!! I didn't see any felt (white plastic, yes), but put a drop of oil onto the center pin under the bobbin case holder. It's still squeaking, but it's also still working, so I will keep on going. I've sent a message to the Janome company, hopefully they will answer when the holidays are over.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 AM

I have two places to oil my machine. I have a Janome 10001
Under the bobbin a tiny hole with felt
Where the needle bar goes up and down there is another felt pad that needs to be oiled. You have to open the front cover to see it.
I clean and oil my machine with every bobbin change. I live in a very dry climate. I take my machine in once a year for a good cleaning, adjusting etc. once a year. Never pull your thread out from the top; always cut it and bring it through the needle. This well help keep the tension disks clean as well as the rest of the innards. Thread has a grain and if you pull it out from the top you are leaving thread "dust bunnies (lint) behind in the innards of your machine. There is a little thread waste doing this but well worth it to keep machine up and running properly and no tension problems. I was taught this many years ago. My machine tech tells me every year what great care my machine gets at home because it is soooo clean when he opens it up. I told him my tread trick....he told me it was true and that most macines are in the shop because of the lint build up and not getting enough home care. If your machine keeps squeaking get it in the shop!
Connie1948
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Connie1948
Never pull your thread out from the top; always cut it and bring it through the needle. This well help keep the tension disks clean as well as the rest of the innards. Thread has a grain and if you pull it out from the top you are leaving thread "dust bunnies (lint) behind in the innards of your machine. There is a little thread waste doing this but well worth it to keep machine up and running properly and no tension problems. Connie1948
Great tip!!!! I will start doing that today. It makes prefect since.

THANKS for sharing!!!

We need to start a tips thread or folder. :D
Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
Originally Posted by Connie1948
Never pull your thread out from the top; always cut it and bring it through the needle. This well help keep the tension disks clean as well as the rest of the innards. Thread has a grain and if you pull it out from the top you are leaving thread "dust bunnies (lint) behind in the innards of your machine. There is a little thread waste doing this but well worth it to keep machine up and running properly and no tension problems. Connie1948
Great tip!!!! I will start doing that today. It makes prefect since.

THANKS for sharing!!!

We need to start a tips thread or folder. :D
Thanks for sharing! I never thought of this!