Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: oiling a machine

I've never oiled a machine before. I've only been sewing for 4 years now, and I bought my second before needing to oil my first. My second machine is a computerized Kenmore, who I love dearly, but she tends to get klunky after sewing for a while. The video said (yeah, I watched the video) never oil a computerized machine. But I've tried cleaner it out really good and rethreading and all, and she still gets klunky...wouldn't ya think she'd need to be oiled...eventually?
    Has anyone oiled a computerized machine? Any advise??

Your book that came with your machine should tell you where and how often to oil your machine...I have a computerized Kenmore and I oil it 2 or 3 times a week depending on how often I run it because that is what it said in the book....the more it is used ..the more it should be oiled...but there is only 2 oiling spots... my much older Kenmores (two of them) require many spots to be oiled and the book says not that often...my service man also told me not to oil them very often.... but then if they DON'T get used for quite awhile to oil them before using them.....

SO...every machine is different.....but you need to read the book and find out what your machine requirements for oiling are....

I have to admit my mouth dropped open when you said you had NEVER oiled a machine and you've been sewing for 4 years! LOL Shocked me!

I know it's a huge deep dark bad confession, that I'd never oiled a machine. I guess after seeing that video, I'm scared to do it, now. But I think it needs to be done. I'll check the book again. I really hate that book, just the way it's written is weird to me.
    But if I'm hearing that someone else has done it, it gives me a little backbone. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Country Quilter
    I have to admit my mouth dropped open when you said you had NEVER oiled a machine and you've been sewing for 4 years! LOL Shocked me!
    I can one up that! My dad gave me his old Kenmore when I was 15 years old and the first time I oiled it I was about 30 (sheer ignorance to the need)! Still works like a charm to this day (10 years after that) and hasn't spent a single day in the shop.

Shelly

I have a Kenmore that I bought in January and the book says that it should never be oiled?

This truly amazes me.....I didn't know they made machines that didn't need oiling! Wow! Guess thats why they call it progress! LOL

I can't oil my machine, Janome, but I take it to a repair shop and he
    does it, always runs better after I take it in. There are no oil holes on
    this machine, my others had them.

My old brother has oil holes. My new one doesn't. New one is computerized.

I guess we can compare it to the Mercedes Benz that has the hood bolted shut, and can only be serviced at an authorized dealer. They are so sure it won't tear up bc it's that good!??!

I think that is where my machine is headed...to be serviced, or it's getting a new home, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    I guess we can compare it to the Mercedes Benz that has the hood bolted shut, and can only be serviced at an authorized dealer.
    :shock: :shock: I hadn't heard that one. I have to plug mine in during the winter or the beast won't start. :evil: Diesel. :evil:

piney

Blog Entries
    My Kenmore was a gift in 1978, has only been in a shop once and oiled about three times. It works great except for the bobbin winder which has nothing to do with oiling it or not. I think they made machines much better way back when LOL Yes, I do oil my new machines and realize that my luck could only hold up for so long LOL

We have bought many good sewing machines at garage sales for $1-$5 because people did not oil them. Some of them would not even turn. After oiling, they work like a charm. I guess I would do whatever it said to do on a computerized machine, although I would be tempted to oil.

I have a computerized Bernina & the only piece I put ONE DROP of oil on when I clean it before each new project is on the bobbin fly - the part of the machine that holds the bobbin & bobbin case. I'll bet that would take care of your klunking. If you don't want to oil anything (and I can understand your reluctance) you should take it in to be serviced. You may be doing it harm if you keep sewing on the "klunker"!

lin
    Whenever any of my machines start to make a clunking sound I put a drop of oil right on the little "hook" part of the shuttle race-->(that part that holds the bobbin case) That seems to fix the problem. I find I have to put a drop of oil there a lot more often then I have to oil the whole machine. It just hums after that.

I oil any spot that has a moving joint. or a hole, I buy grease in a tube for the big stuff on the bottom. My machines are all old, not sure I want one of those new fangled machines :twisted: :D :-o :shock: :?: :) :-) 8) :lol: :x :P :roll: :wink: :!: :? :) :D :-D :-o :-P ;) :wink: :P :roll: :lol: 8) :?: :!: :-) ;-) :shock: :)

I have a computerized Singer and it only asked for 1 drop of oil in 2 spots in the bobbin case. Is your needle dull? or too big for the fabric? I mnade a blouse from some cheap polyester not long ago and that poor machine sounded like I was beating it with a hammer, so the rest of that fabric hit the trash can.

HI, On my old Kenmore machines I used to oil all the moving parts. kept them clean and never had them in the shop. Then I got three computerized machines an was told never to oil them. However, my newest one is in the shop as we speak, (only a yr. old) and the dealer told me when I pick it up he will show me where I can put some oil on it occasionally. Wish I had the old Kenmore back. Live and learn. Gave it away and I don't think the lady ever used it. Marge

Banned
    Well most Computerized machines don't need oiling But I have put just a drop of oil in the bobbin shuttle thing, But make sure you have cleaned every little place 2-3 times wouldn't hurt before oiling anything at all. I use a straw taped to my Vacumn Hose and suck all the threads and lint out of every little place. Never put any oil up where the computer is just where the machine is and if it's new I'd call the Dealer, if the cleaning and sweeping out doesn't work.BJ

Like Norah, I keep my eyes open for old machines and am usually able to clean them up and oil them - and have a beautifully running machine.

I am an "oiler", too. I take the entire casing off my machine and oil any moving metal parts.

the manual for my machine (Brother XL3500) only says not to use oil in the bobbin case, so not too sure what parts I do need to oil. Tried using a link in another thread, but had no info on my machine.

Sorry, this is unrelated to the topic. BJ I love your avatar, that is too cute!

I have heard that some people very sparingly oil their computerized machines but I know it says not to, if your dealer said you could sparingly, I'm sure he would know!

When I had my old Kenmore (and I wish I still did) I used to clean and oil every moving part frequently. But then, the gears etc. were metal. Nowadays with these new machines most are plastic. I have a computerized Janome and I was told never to oil it. took it to the dealer last week, it was 1 1/2 yrs old and they cleaned it and put the oil in the parts that needed it. Runs like a charm once again. so check with your dealer. Marge

Please think wisely before oiling it if it's computerized and the video says not to oil it. You could ruin your machine. I have a Viking Husqvarna that I purchased when it was about 15 years old, I've had it now about 5 years and it has never been oiled. The lady I bought it from gave a good long lecture and told me to never oil it!

Norah
    I'm with you, I oil any spot that moves (except) the bobbin, I do oil the bobbin casing, that holds the bobbin. I've got 1 Brother that I've had 11 yrs, works great, and another Brother, computerized, thats almost 4 yrs old now. I oil it to. My newest Brother dosent't have alot of oil holes, but I take out the screws, take semi-apart and clean and oil about once every 2-3 mos. Depends on how much I've been sewing. My machines really hum along nicely.

what model of Brother do you have Rebecca, the non computerized one?

I have a older model and a CS 6000, yes computerized., I also have a industrial type Singer, that was given to me. I cleaned it and oiled it and it works well also. I contacted Singer for the book, which will cost me 15.00 for a copy. You know even Mercedes needs oil. I just can't imagen any motor that dosen't need oil.