Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning and Oiling My Machine >

Cleaning and Oiling My Machine

Cleaning and Oiling My Machine

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 AM

I took apart the bobbin case and cleaned up all the lint and dust, put it back together....no problems. But now am wanting to see about oiling it, but nothing in the instruction booklet gives any indication about the need to oil it. It's a brother cs6000i. Anyone have any knowledge or advice?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM

I have a machine close to the one you have. SQ-9000. I have never oiled mine and as far as I know you don't need to oil these machines. The older meatal machines you do oil, but not the electronic ones. If I'm mistaken someone else will let you (us) know.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

The newer machines all have encased systems that do not require oiling. If your machine required oiling, the instructions would be in the manual.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina 440QE needs oil, and that's certainly a newer machine. Check your instruction book. If you need to oil anywhere, it would be the bobbin hook.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The newer machines all have encased systems that do not require oiling. If your machine required oiling, the instructions would be in the manual.
Yes, this ^
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 AM

No oiling computerized machines, all you can do is keep the bobbin area clean but believe me, that's a BIG thing on these machines because that lint will wreck havoc on your machine if left in to "travel" around. It's good to clean it out after every project, and more often if you are using flannel or any fabric that tends to create "dust" or sheds like minkee or terry cloth.

You can still get new mechanical machines, my Brother 1500 is a mechanical, and it does require frequent oiling, but yours is a computerized machine.

On a personal note, I have a Kenmore Elite, computerized, over 20 years old, been serviced only once (a year ago) and I only did that because I had never had it serviced and the LQS was having a special so decided it would be a nice thing to do. Got it back and it didn't work right so took it back and the tech discovered I had worn out the plastic foot!! He replaced it for free and it's been humming along ever since.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Thank you everyone....I was a bit worried that I wasn't doing something that I should. But after cleaning out the bobbin case I'm done! On to my next project.....LOL
Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Check before you do anything; not all machines need oiling. I have a computer one that you don't oil. I use a brush or air and clean out the bobbin area and that is all
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lalaland
No oiling computerized machines,
Several people have made this statement but it is not true. For instance, the Bernina 440QE is certainly a computerized, modern machine, but it does require regular oiling. There's even an oil can icon that comes up to remind you to add oil to the bobbin hook area. For any machine, look at your manual or ask your dealer. If your machine needs to be oiled, you could ruin it by not oiling, on a regular basis.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM

Funny you should post this today because I just did a cleaning and oiling to my Brother for the 1st time since I've had it! :oops: I would suggest just taking off the casing and oiling anything that moves. Certain screws too. I did just that and I had a squeak still and found it to be in the bobbin casing. Also be sure to clean the feed dogs. I just read again where yours is computerized, can't help you there, sorry! GL!